Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
slh0616

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1, river, Stripe, M6
Smile Catch Can vs Warranty

I was debating on putting a mighty mouse catch can on my 2019 ZL1 but was hesitant after reading posts on this forum. Some people were saying that it depends on the dealership service department or how the car presents when needed warranty repair. Others stated that it voids the warranty no matter what.

I called my local dealership and asked if it would void my warranty. I was told multiple times by the service manager that it WILL NOT void the warranty. He stated that he has seen multiple Z06 and stingrays with catch cans installed and they always were happy to work on them under warranty.

The manager says it would be considered preventative maintenance and not considered a violation of warranty. If there was a tune on the car or modifications (like a pulley change) then the warranty would be voided (obviously). From my point of view the service manager would be happy to work on a car with a catch can as he felt like it was good practice to prevent any GDI issues/carbon build up.

Hope this helps clarify the issue for some people debating on this upgrade.

If anyone else had a different experience I would love to hear about it.
slh0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
ramairroughneck

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Couldn’t you just take it off if the car needed service?
ramairroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
They would have to prove that it caused the issue. Say for example, you hyrolocked the engine due to not emptying it. Totally on you....
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
Fatty1707

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
They would have to prove that it caused the issue. Say for example, you hyrolocked the engine due to not emptying it. Totally on you....
^^^This...If you are disciplined to empty it, go for it. Sounds like a decent Dealership too.
Fatty1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
The dealership that services my car never mentions the catch can, and they have installed aftermarket brake pads and steering wheel for me.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #6
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairroughneck View Post
it's not that easy to remove
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Sorry, but GM approves all warranty repairs, not your dealer.

If you have some form of a powertrain failure (an oil pump failure for example), the first thing GM will require the dealer to do before approving any repair will be to send a photo of your engine bay to them. And I can assure you once GM sees that catch can your powertrain warranty will be flagged void. Don't believe me, grab some popcorn and read this thread:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361
Old 05-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Not exactly.

You would have to prove that the catch can DID NOT cause the issue.

You would be the plaintiff in the case. GM would be the defense. Burden of proof would be on you.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakskeet View Post
Not exactly.

You would have to prove that the catch can DID NOT cause the issue.

You would be the plaintiff in the case. GM would be the defense. Burden of proof would be on you.

For GM to not be in breach of warranty, the burden is on them to provide proof in order deny a claim. The law is on the side of the consumer in this instance.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #10
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
For GM to not be in breach of warranty, the burden is on them to provide proof in order deny a claim. The law is on the side of the consumer in this instance.
I had a service manager pop my hood and was looking around. I said, what are you looking for exactly? he said intake, any other mods. I asked oh, what for? and he told me that he would void my warranty if he saw any of those things.

so i dunno, i've heard of people getting denied for stupid things.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Correct. Although the poster would be the plaintiff, the burden of proof is on GM why the issue is not covered under warranty.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
"Breach of warranty refers to the failure of a seller to fulfill the terms of a promise, claim, or representation made concerning the quality or type of the product. The law assumes that a seller gives certain warranties concerning goods that are sold and that he or she must stand behind these assertions."
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #13
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairroughneck View Post
Yes the catch can could be removed if there was an engine failure prior to taking the car to the dealership for service. However, If they denied your warranty and you took them to court they would most likely ask you about all modifications you have done to the car including those that you have taken off or no longer have. If you did not mention that you had removed the catch can you would be lying under oath.

Some would be ok about lying in court and actually removing parts prior to taking the car to the dealership could actually be considered fraud. By taking it off you are somewhat admitting that you feel that the catch can may have contributed to the issue.

My two cents...

If you want to modify your engine and powertrain in any way that deviates from the way it was designed to work by GM and the way it was when it left the factory, be prepared to be on the hook for all repairs if there is a warranty denial.

I know it sounds shitty but it is going to cost you a lot to take the case to court and if you lose you could be on the hook for GM's legal fees. I can assure you that their legal fees alone will be more than the cost of an engine.

I am in no way defending the bullshit, lack of knowledge, and shitty service that some dealerships have possibly shown in the past as posted in many threads on this forum. I'm just showing what you may be up against.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Regardless of the legalese written here, the “tip of the spear” is still what the service manager at your dealership decides to do. And if he’s wrong (due to Magnuson Moss etc. etc) it will cost you a lawyer to go ahead and prove it , which far exceeds the amount of dollars involved in the service interval. So what’s the answer? The answer is to go and ask the service manager when you buy the car exactly what mods he will allow. If he tells you he’s going to be a prick, find another dealer, there are plenty that will allow a catch can. I had one on my C7, and my service manager had no problem with it, or the curb alert that I had mounted on the car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote