Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Tell me about it - it's even worse when you park in an underground parking garage.
I was doing a canyon drive out here in that Trans Am and I went through a mid size tunnel and a pedestrian in the tunnel grabbed his ears and had an expression of physical pain on his face.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
mdrobtx

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFly View Post
Ok so I am not doing open headers. I want to Put the JBA catback with headers
Will this setup turn on the check engine light?
Just installed this setup. JBA headers and HF cats with 3" exhaust. Been driving it for 3 days now with no CEL and or codes?
I was under the assumption it would throw a code also? Any thoughts?

1968 Coupe and 1967 Vert

mdrobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
iFly
Account Suspended

Drives: Higher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobtx View Post
Just installed this setup. JBA headers and HF cats with 3" exhaust. Been driving it for 3 days now with no CEL and or codes?
How much did this setup cost you total without labor? Also is it extremely loud one guy told me it shakes the walls in his garage.
iFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobtx View Post
Long tube headers or shorty headers?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #19
iFly
Account Suspended

Ya
Old 06-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #20
mdrobtx

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Long tube headers or shorty headers?
Long tubes. Yeah, I know the shorties may not necessarily throw a code.

1968 Coupe and 1967 Vert

mdrobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
No emissions opens the door to an endless array of possibilities and combinations. If you're worried about warranty maybe look at JBA shorties and JBA HF cats then put the cut-outs just behind the cats where they connect to the cat-back section.

Where there's a will there's a way.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Kids you just cant understand..........You do not need nor particularly want cut outs as unless you are racing it...you should not be using it as its illegal....and has a 100% chance of shooting a little flame throwing out of the pipes form unburned gasoline that close to the headers and then mo0st tracks dont want you burning up the starting line..........And if the cut out is headed off to the side insead of down you can add a extra pipe onto it to make it come out the side as is the case of a lot of old hot rods if you have ever even beem to a old car show and noticed block off plates on the side of cars with exposed side pipes...........Then put two and two together...you do want it exiting the car on the side as if its under the car....car has a much better chance of going "poof" from leaking solvents like gas or oil or build up from driving over fresh asphalt oils or even yes undercoating. Let alone the fact cops would love you the second you open it up as they could hear you very far away......Believe me the least I could get away with on my old rods many that i built with headers was to have glas pack or cyclonic mufflers dumping out to monza tips as I had 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch exhaust and got tired of getting pulled over eventually and put monza tips on which left it with a mild tweetering chirping out their little resonators. Also as I always tell everyone...No mufflers is illegal as hell, muffler delete is not a option and not a mod and most shops will not perform it as also a cat delete......When and if you are ever cited from being pulled over you will have to prove in court you have reinstalled the mufflers....or maybe in your case removed the cut out if the judge is any kind of judge. SO be smart, making noise is a citation if not properly equipping a car...............I know I am a old hot rodder who works for law enforcement
Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
jakethesnake

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
installed kooks 17/8 long tubes with high flow cats and corsa catback exhaust, it took about 6 days to throw a code. i reset and the code came back 4 days later. had T n T Performance tune the car and no more codes.
jakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
iFly
Account Suspended

Well I'll have no warranty so that's fine. Also how much does it cost just to tune out the check engine light?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
LOL Stig! That differential is on the wrong axle in your open header pic! (I know, 4x4) but yes, open headers w/out the proper big cam and big valve heads tuned for it will not give more HP, just loud noise and unsafe around anything combustible.

A certain amount of backpressure is needed for low end torque.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #26
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
LOL Stig! That differential is on the wrong axle in your open header pic! (I know, 4x4) but yes, open headers w/out the proper big cam and big valve heads tuned for it will not give more HP, just loud noise and unsafe around anything combustible.

A certain amount of backpressure is needed for low end torque.

I never said it was a Camaro he just asked for a pic of open headers - the truck forums were the top result (big surprise
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Kids you just cant understand..........You do not need nor particularly want cut outs as unless you are racing it...you should not be using it as its illegal....and has a 100% chance of shooting a little flame throwing out of the pipes form unburned gasoline that close to the headers and then mo0st tracks dont want you burning up the starting line..........And if the cut out is headed off to the side insead of down you can add a extra pipe onto it to make it come out the side as is the case of a lot of old hot rods if you have ever even beem to a old car show and noticed block off plates on the side of cars with exposed side pipes...........Then put two and two together...you do want it exiting the car on the side as if its under the car....car has a much better chance of going "poof" from leaking solvents like gas or oil or build up from driving over fresh asphalt oils or even yes undercoating. Let alone the fact cops would love you the second you open it up as they could hear you very far away......Believe me the least I could get away with on my old rods many that i built with headers was to have glas pack or cyclonic mufflers dumping out to monza tips as I had 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch exhaust and got tired of getting pulled over eventually and put monza tips on which left it with a mild tweetering chirping out their little resonators. Also as I always tell everyone...No mufflers is illegal as hell, muffler delete is not a option and not a mod and most shops will not perform it as also a cat delete......When and if you are ever cited from being pulled over you will have to prove in court you have reinstalled the mufflers....or maybe in your case removed the cut out if the judge is any kind of judge. SO be smart, making noise is a citation if not properly equipping a car...............I know I am a old hot rodder who works for law enforcement
Realy Dude????!!!!!
An Old Hot Rodder That Works For Law Enforcement??!!

Isn't that an OXIMORON?!

You went through 26 lines on BS! The dude wants his car to sound Bad Ass!

Back to helping the guy asking a simple question, Cutouts are cool bro because you can have your car loud when you want. And if you happen to see 5.O. then close them back to stock. Open cutouts are loud as hell with your foot on the throttle but sound awsome at an idle or even normanl driving. Do your homework but you will see that QTP and NOWEEDS are the best out there. IMO. NOWEEDS dont need any welding and are easy to install but they will cost you upfront. You will save having to weld in though.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
FosterSS
Guardians Of The Night

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT
Citations??!!!! = who gives a ****. If you want your camaro to sound BA, especially if you have a cam ,by all means throw them cutouts on! Ive never heard of issues with cutouts anyways, Im about to put my Race readys on, they are bolt on OR welded in!
FosterSS is offline   Reply With Quote