Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Old HP ratings vs new

Its been talked about before how HP ratings were calculated differently "back in the day". I was just curious how they were calculated compared to now? I mean if a camaro in 69 had 375 horse what would that make today,what would ours make then, also are the torque ratings measured differently? Just curious THanks
Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
MONTANACARGUY

Drives: CHEV TAHOE CHEV IMPALA 69' COUGAR
''Back in the day'' horsepower and torque ratings were measured in SAE( society of automobile engineers)gross.meaning the power was calculated at the flywheel. Currrently, we measure SAE net ratings that account for the losses that occur from the transmission and driveline.If the two numbers are the same the net rated vehicle has more horsepower.
MONTANACARGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
eh i tend to disagree with that
most cars are rated at 426 horse and are dynoing at 350
back then it was the same way
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76z28 View Post
eh i tend to disagree with that
most cars are rated at 426 horse and are dynoing at 350
back then it was the same way

Agree ... The LS3 426 Hp is gross at the crank aka flywheel ...
Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANACARGUY View Post
''Back in the day'' horsepower and torque ratings were measured in SAE( society of automobile engineers)gross.meaning the power was calculated at the flywheel. Currrently, we measure SAE net ratings that account for the losses that occur from the transmission and driveline.If the two numbers are the same the net rated vehicle has more horsepower.
back in the day, the engine was dyno'ed with longtubes and without all the accessories, including water pump.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
They are not the same. Old numbers were measured not calculated at the flywheel as they are today but back the they had no accessories. So no ac compressor no alternator no power steering pump.

Today's engines are measured as they would be installed in the car,

the V6 in your Camaro is making nearly the same hp as the old V8s
Old 03-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
They are not the same. Old numbers were measured not calculated at the flywheel as they are today but back the they had no accessories. So no ac compressor no alternator no power steering pump.

I get the comment after i tell people at work aw you got the V6 that sucks i laugh every time. I then tell them it has 270ish ft tq 305 hp they are like wtf. Its my daily driver 300 hp is enough to get to work. I dont go to the track and i do not street race so 425 would be not of much use to me. I do love the grunt of the V8 though its awesome. For what you get this car is a steal imo.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Quote:

Huh thats pretty interesting it was done before the accessories or luxuries back then were on. I wonder w all the increase in tech if the loss due to having an auto for instance has been consistent I think its around 15% now but I could be wrong
Old 03-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomjohn View Post
Huh thats pretty interesting it was done before the accessories or luxuries back then were on. I wonder w all the increase in tech if the loss due to having an auto for instance has been consistent I think its around 15% now but I could be wrong
auto's nowaday's are about as efficient as the smaller/weaker transmissions of yesteryear, and much more efficient than the stronger automatics of the past.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
in 1970 my camaro was rated at 200HP, in 1971 the same engine was 155HP.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomjohn View Post
The power lost through the transmission was never taken into account back then or today, so it has no effect on factory hp ratings. Factory hp ratings have always been measured at the flywheel on an engine dyno.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
Stolen from the internet....

Before 1972, most American engines were rated under the methodology laid out in Society of American Engineers (SAE) standards J245 and J1995, which calculated the output of a 'bare' engine on a test stand with no accessories, optimal ignition timing, free-flowing exhaust headers (no mufflers), with a correction factor for standard atmospheric conditions.

Starting in 1971, manufacturers began to lower compression ratios and de-tune their engines to prepare for the advent of unleaded gasoline. Both the early emission-control systems (air-injection pumps, exhaust gas recirculation) and the reduced compression ratios made engines perceptibly less powerful, whether those losses were reflected in the gross power ratings or not.

Faced with this reality, along with the pressures of the safety and environmental lobby, domestic manufacturers decided it was time to abandon the gross rating system. In its place they adopted the SAE net rating methodology, described by SAE standard J1349. "Net" horsepower ratings are still made with the engine on a test stand, but with stock ignition timing, carburetion, exhaust, and accessories -- in short, a closer approximation of how much power an engine produces as actually installed in the car. (SAE net horespower does NOT, contrary to some assumptions, measure horsepower at the drive wheels; both gross and net ratings are at the flywheel, and don't reflect power losses in the drivetrain.)
Old 03-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Stefan@D2AUTOSPORT
Wheel Guy

Drives: Lexus SC
Send a message via AIM to Stefan@D2AUTOSPORT
All that matters to me is how much of that power is hitting the street.
Stefan@D2AUTOSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote