Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
Los Angeles Auto Show

I realize the LA auto show isnt necessarily as prestigious as say the new york show, but looking at the displays between mustang, challenger/charger, and camaro makes it painfully obvious why camaro sells so terribly as compared to the other two.

Dodge had what seemed like every version of the challenger and charger, with the hellcats (redeye widebody challenger, and widebody charger) prominently displayed up front, open, and inviting. They had the hellcat sleigh from their tv commercials. They had plenty of space in between the vehicles (nothing crazy, but it didnt feel cramped).

Ford had a very limited showing for the mustang, but it had its own display in a corner, open and inviting. They had 2 gt500s, both were open and available, with plenty of space around to take pictures without being crowded. They had a generic gt convertible on its side with labels as a display of the undercarriage components, and they had a couple other versions of the mustang, including one gt350. The lighting, the setup, everything drew your focus to the cars.

Then we get to the chevrolet area. Not sure why, but their section just felt like it was smaller. They must have had a dozen trucks, including their 5500 versions. The only car out front was a corvette, on a display, with no access to the public. In the very back they had two sections, one for their compact cars, one for the 'performance' section. The performance section had a corvette (again, on display, with no access) in a room type area with different features, like the release display that toured the dealerships around the country when it was announced. In front of the room area there were two camaros placed like an afterthought. One ss coupe, one ss convertible. Around both cars were cutaway displays for the corvette, and explanations of corvette components. There was so little space, you couldnt open the doors if people were looking at the displays.

I am not one of those fanatic brand/product loyalty guys. To be honest, i wanted a c7 z06. I simply dont fit in a way that is comfortable to track the car. I got the zl1 1le as the next best option cause i actually have clearance between my hands and knees when steering and driving in a spirited manner. Everything about the display i saw spoke to chevrolet not giving two sh@$s about their camaro. I remember the 5th gen z/28 release. They had four or five, 2 min vignettes explaining different development aspects of the car, like flying car mode, knurled bead seats, etc. all of this drives even the average enthusiast to want to see the car. Most people ive met cant believe the 1le wing/dive planes are factory. I believe the performance lineup drives demand and interest in the brand. You dont necessarily need fancy displays, crazy media setups... the dodge setup was very simple. Well lit up vehicles, focused up front, accessible to all. Dodge and ford had customer service reps available to 'answer' questions... each corvette had one person, the camaros had no one. It literally looked like an afterthought with the focus on their trucks.

Like i said, im not loyal to any one brand/vehicle, but i dont see how camaro will be financially viable if they continue to lose marketshare. It genuinely seems like the best all around performance car of the big three, and it would be a shame if it went away again.
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i always get free tickets to oc/la auto show from chevy but i never go lol what car are you thinking about next?
Old 11-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
All they care about is trucks. Which makes me wonder why don’t they stuff the LT5, A10, CCBS, etc in whatever SUV they have nowadays.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Well, now I'm glad I didn't go. I was hoping the C8 would be on display.

I went 2 years ago and saw the ZL1 and C7 GS. We were allowed to sit in them. It gave me a great perspective about the interiors and fitment issues, and visibility. I would have been very disappointed that the Chevy cars were inaccessible.

Fortunately the San Diego Auto show is showing later than usual this year (after the New Year). I won't have family in town and can spend some time at the show.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
I couldn't agree with you more @590_The_Judge.

They care so much about the "Truck" segment and they still got passed by Ram.... I personally owned the 18' ZL1 because it was hands down the best value for what you get. I tend to do more research than my peers and I am sure if they allowed people to 'experience' it at the auto shows they would have had more clammer about the Camaro.

I was always interested in what the Dodge felt like and looked like in person. I was able to sit in the 80k+ Redeye and was able to see what all the hype was about. I am in the market for a new car and I would have loved to be able to sit in feel the C8 to see if I would like the fit. As you mentioned, I am not able to fit in the Z06 confortably and wanted to see if the C8 would be worth waiting for/putting in a deposit.
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #6
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Such a shame they don’t display these cars very well. Chevrolet’s marketing team blows arse pipe.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Trucks and SUVs are the vehicles Chevy is focused on now! It’s just a fact of life and sad but true! I guess I will be holding on to my ZL1 as long as possible because I’m not a Corvette person.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
If Chevy was at the bottom of the heap, you bet they would be spending a ton on display, advertisement, literature, etc, etc, etc. But when the product sells itself and/or the loyal fan base far out distances the competition. No need to spend money!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
590_The_Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i always get free tickets to oc/la auto show from chevy but i never go lol what car are you thinking about next?
I go every year, i currently have a 2018 ZL1 1LE with 12,000 miles and have no interest in changing it out. Its my daily, and by far the best performing car ive ever had. I wish gm would care more about their product. I think the zl1 is a phenomenal vehicle that everyone needs to see.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:03 AM   #10
590_The_Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Well, now I'm glad I didn't go. I was hoping the C8 would be on display.

I went 2 years ago and saw the ZL1 and C7 GS. We were allowed to sit in them. It gave me a great perspective about the interiors and fitment issues, and visibility. I would have been very disappointed that the Chevy cars were inaccessible.

Fortunately the San Diego Auto show is showing later than usual this year (after the New Year). I won't have family in town and can spend some time at the show.
They had 2 c8s on display behind glass. Im not sure if they still have the roaming dealer experience. I went and got to sit in it. I wasnt too happy. Pretty cramped. Im 6' 1", 250lbs, with xxl shirts to fit my shoulders, and a waist slightly smaller than 36". The steering wheel doesnt come up or out far enough for me to clear my knees. My knuckles will just clip my knees when turning. Yes, i can adjust a tad to fix it, but then im not comfortable. And that waterfall button feature eliminates any sort of armrest for the passenger. They might as well be in a pod. Very weird actually sitting in the passenger seat.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #11
590_The_Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
I couldn't agree with you more @590_The_Judge.

They care so much about the "Truck" segment and they still got passed by Ram.... I personally owned the 18' ZL1 because it was hands down the best value for what you get. I tend to do more research than my peers and I am sure if they allowed people to 'experience' it at the auto shows they would have had more clammer about the Camaro.

I was always interested in what the Dodge felt like and looked like in person. I was able to sit in the 80k+ Redeye and was able to see what all the hype was about. I am in the market for a new car and I would have loved to be able to sit in feel the C8 to see if I would like the fit. As you mentioned, I am not able to fit in the Z06 confortably and wanted to see if the C8 would be worth waiting for/putting in a deposit.
I had a 2013 charger r/t road and track package car with the 5.7 hemi and loved it, i just wanted more power. I got lucky and the timing was right to get my zl1 1le. It all depends on what you are looking for. The challenger to me is a current take using the nostalgia we feel when looking back at the best of the muscle car era to make a great muscle car/cruiser whereas the zl1 is the pinnacle if what a ponycar/muscle car can be with todays tech.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:16 AM   #12
kdm123

Drives: 2018 ZL1-1LE
Yeah, it was too bad that they only showed off a Camaro convertible. I get that they aren't making money selling ZLE's, but it would help build their image to have such an awesome car on display.

What was even more sad was the Subaru display. I went with a friend who owns an STi. They did have a few performance models on display, but they were off to one side almost out of view. Instead of showing off their racing heritage, they had a dog-adoption area and a huge display for SUVs and crossovers.
kdm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm123 View Post
Yeah, it was too bad that they only showed off a Camaro convertible. I get that they aren't making money selling ZLE's, but it would help build their image to have such an awesome car on display.

What was even more sad was the Subaru display. I went with a friend who owns an STi. They did have a few performance models on display, but they were off to one side almost out of view. Instead of showing off their racing heritage, they had a dog-adoption area and a huge display for SUVs and crossovers.

It sucks, but it is business and the companies need to survive. And right now everyone wants crossovers/SUVs etc. Us enthusiasts are a dying breed and these companies don’t make enough/if any money on their sports cars. At least the last hurrah has brought a lot of amazing cars the last few years. Enjoy them while we can.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
It sucks, but it is business and the companies need to survive. And right now everyone wants crossovers/SUVs etc. Us enthusiasts are a dying breed and these companies don’t make enough/if any money on their sports cars. At least the last hurrah has brought a lot of amazing cars the last few years. Enjoy them while we can.
Then give me a hot SUV with an LT5, and the like.