Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Interior fan making weird noise at low fan speed

I'm guessing the "wonderful" mods are going to give me another warning for posting this here, but I have no idea where else to pose the question.

My interior fan is making a weird noise at low speeds (say speeds 2 and 3). If it's turned up higher than that, the blower on the fan is blowing out the air fast enough that I don't hear the sound or it goes away. However, at low speeds the sound it makes is kind of similar to a cricket chirping. It's hard to explain the sound, but that's the closest thing I can think of. As you can imagine, it's kind of annoying.

Does anyone think they know what might be causing this sound? Has anyone else experienced this? My car is still under warranty (for 5000 more miles) so I can bring it in. But, I was just wondering your thoughts before I bring it in, so I can have a better idea. Plus, I'm guessing they are going to tell me "I have no idea".

Thanks,
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Same thing is happening to me. Whenever I use climate control, I hear a ticking noise coming from what sounds like the glove compartment...the lower the speed, the slower the noise...I have read up on it and 9 times outta 10 the issue was something got in the vent and needs to be "flushed out"
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
I've had this on two of my GM cars. My Camaro, and a Cobalt I owned before it. It can be fixed by cleaning out the crap from around the squirrel cage, OR replacing the blower depending on why it's doing it.

When they replace the blower in my Cobalt, it came back after about a year. I'm really annoyed with it, to be honest. I don't feel like I should be throwing blow motors at a relatively new car every year.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
I've had this on two of my GM cars. My Camaro, and a Cobalt I owned before it. It can be fixed by cleaning out the crap from around the squirrel cage, OR replacing the blower depending on why it's doing it.

When they replace the blower in my Cobalt, it came back after about a year. I'm really annoyed with it, to be honest. I don't feel like I should be throwing blow motors at a relatively new car every year.
By squirrel cage, do you mean the vent located on the top of the engine compartment near the back of the engine? What if that's already clean?
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Xp0gam3r

Drives: '15 2SS 1LE; '10 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I'm guessing the "wonderful" mods are going to give me another warning for posting this here, but I have no idea where else to pose the question.

My interior fan is making a weird noise at low speeds (say speeds 2 and 3). If it's turned up higher than that, the blower on the fan is blowing out the air fast enough that I don't hear the sound or it goes away. However, at low speeds the sound it makes is kind of similar to a cricket chirping. It's hard to explain the sound, but that's the closest thing I can think of. As you can imagine, it's kind of annoying.

Does anyone think they know what might be causing this sound? Has anyone else experienced this? My car is still under warranty (for 5000 more miles) so I can bring it in. But, I was just wondering your thoughts before I bring it in, so I can have a better idea. Plus, I'm guessing they are going to tell me "I have no idea".

Thanks,
I've had the EXACT same thing for the past 2 years on and off! Sounds like chirping / birds at low speeds it's very annoying.

I took it in and they said that it's fine, it happens after a while to the system. As others suggested above, cleaning the crap would remove it but it comes back after a while. Really sucks :/
Xp0gam3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
stevey_frac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
By squirrel cage, do you mean the vent located on the top of the engine compartment near the back of the engine? What if that's already clean?
I'm probably not using the right terminology. It looks like this:

It's the fan, basically. If you suck crap into there, or stuff falls down vents or... I have no idea how crap gets in there, but it seems to. Cleaning out around it can help.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Not trying to be a smarty but Camaro problems/issues/and warranty forums would have been the proper forum. It's good for future reference that the moderators sort out posts and move them to the respective location. Otherwise ,a chirping or cricket sound you describe could even be a fan motor bearing. I'd have to hear it for myself though. Air flow passing through a partially open damper can make weird sounds too.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
stevey_frac

And if it's already clean, replacing the whole blower assembly tends to work. For a while.

Next up:
EBC Redstuff street pads
1LE Track Pack

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Dark Ninja

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I'm having the same problem and i have no idea what it is. =/
Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
CrtRS13

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tint 2LT RS
This has been discussed many times before
Check out these links
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204053
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103153
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67723
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7324396
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7452868
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209401

Seems like this has been happening since 2010, You would think by now they would have fixed this. BTW, my 13 does it too, but amazingly not when it was at the dealer.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
Jeff10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS (IOM)
Had the same issue with my Chevy truck, used a shop vac and the best I could ran it back and forth on the defroster vents a few times, whatever was in their came out. i agree not sure what it is that get's in there but something does, as I don't put anything on my dash. might try this before you replace a blower motor.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Mine actually went away over time. Since new it was chirping occasionally. The past year+ not a peep.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
enrayged

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
mine does the chirping only in the mornings, and only if outside temp is under 40... for now...
enrayged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Ryan87mets

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE M6
happened to me i got it fixed at the end of last year and im starting to hear it again. it is very annoying
Ryan87mets is offline   Reply With Quote