The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 08-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
11SSRS

Drives: 2014 CORVETTE STINGRAY Z51 3LT
HOUR METER AND REV CYCYLES.

I'm trying to figure out this hour meter and rev counter.
Can this determine how hard my car was driven?...
I have a 14 corvette with only 2200 miles, I myself have only put 320 miles on it. but I've already had it to
Dealership going on a 3rd time... Rotors pulsating, engine sounds
Like a sewing machine ( rev it up up a bit and as it idles down it's very
Ticky)...not sure if these motors sound like this or not. has an uneven idle. Spark plug wires popped off on me several times, front tires are worn Around edges... Ugh just not very happy...

Anyone have these experiences or did I buy a raced car?...

I have 30 hours and 933 Revs.....
11SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
RottenII

Drives: 2014 C7 1LT Z51
I just looked at mine. 2479 miles. 66hrs and 597revs. I like to "get on it" a bit but don't beat the car and have never raced it. The DI does make a ticking sound that I can hear at low rpms. Other than two oil changes I have not had to visit the dealer yet.
RottenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
If you divide the revs by # of hrs, your engine has a lot more high RPM time on it than Rottenll has on his. Your average RPM/hr is 3 times as much as his. I'd say the car has a lot of track time or hard driving in low gears. I'll check mine later today. Did you buy it new or used?
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
-Your tires are worn around the edges because of uneven wear while cornering at high speeds. Lateral acceleration shifts the weight of the car to the edges.

-Rotors pulsating probably means that your rotors are warped. That happens when you overheat the steel from excessive hard braking. You can replace the rotors, but I've found that if you just machine the rotors and change the brake pads that will do the trick as well.

-It will "sound like a sewing machine rev up as it idles down." This is normal when on Track and Sport settings. That's the car functioning properly on its rev matching design. The idea is that when you take a corner, you have to slow down, but to save time you want to get out at the lowest gear possible and accelerate. To do so, as your car slows down the automatic transmission downshifts and revs matches to get you ready to accelerate. So if you're in the Track/Sport setting and slowing down (e.g, at a red light), it will downshift and rev match because it doesn't know that you're not taking a corner. Drive in Tour or Eco and it won't do that.

Your car was tracked. No doubt. Who cares? It's still under warranty if anything truly bad happens to it. You bought a used car. You should expect it to have wear. The previous owner drove it on a track. Who knows what else he/she did in it? Maybe someone died in it. Maybe he drove the 2200 miles butt naked. My point is you can lose sleep over what may have happened to your car...or you can let it go and just enjoy your car!

You have a beautiful car that if you replaced the tires and brakes then would look and feel brand new. Enjoy it and don't stress about it!
noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I agree, why worry about the past? You can't change it, and in all honesty these cars are designed specifically to handle track conditions. It would be different if you found these issues on a used Sonic or Silverado, but on a Corvette its almost expected. Have the few issues taken care of under warranty (that's what its for!) then go put some miles on it! Have fun with it!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
Man, I'm going to get busted big time if I ever sell mine, haha. Good thing I have no such plans. I tell people all the time, my car has xxxx miles, but half that is probably tire spin!
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
11SSRS

Drives: 2014 CORVETTE STINGRAY Z51 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by h422694 View Post
If you divide the revs by # of hrs, your engine has a lot more high RPM time on it than Rottenll has on his. Your average RPM/hr is 3 times as much as his. I'd say the car has a lot of track time or hard driving in low gears. I'll check mine later today. Did you buy it new or used?
Thanks.. That's what I figured... Ugh. I bought it used as certified preowned with 1780 miles in Tennessee... Already been to dealership 3 times under warranty.
11SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I think the big thing is what were the warranty repairs on, and if it's been for the same thing each visit or not. Have the problems all been fixed? Overall, a few visits to the dealership for warranty repair in and of itself is not necessarily cause for disgust and unhappiness. The warranty is there specifically to fix problems, as no car can ever be built perfectly. Its only if a given problem is recurring or the dealeship can't figure out hiw to fix something that it should raise major concerns. Hopefully the dealer gets you on the road soon. Once repaired, enjoy the car!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote