Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
CatchMyZ

Drives: Blue Velvet SS
Minor damage, still highly annoyed

I have 8,000 miles on my car and I've kept it in 9.5/10 condition since new. There were no scratches on it . I Clay bar, polish, wax, and detail as needed.
My wife ordered some groceries...my job was to pull up out front and they load them for me...well today was nice out...I decided to take the Camaro.
When I got home I walked behind the car to remove the groceries and that's when I saw the scratches. I immediately took a picture and took the groceries in. I wiped the spot down with detail spray and a microfiber to see the extent of the damage. Good news and bad news....it won't wipe off with the towel, but I can't catch a fingernail on it. I called the store and described the incident to which the manager was very sympathetic and took my information. He told me I would be contacted by the company that handles their insurance claims after the holiday.
I'm confident it can be buffed out...I just want them to pay for it.

Am I overreacting? Should I just try to buff it out myself? Should I try to have them pay and have a professional do it?

CatchMyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
If you want to polish it out it will probably take a couple polishes, a couple pads and orbital, possibly even a rotary. Find out what a detailer will charge, he already owns the stuff, it will probably be cheaper. Shouldn't take him longer than 20 minutes.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
They should pay. Although the scratches aren't terrible, they did cause them. I think they will buff out totally, if not nearly invisible, but they should cover that cost. Things like this are the very reason that I worry about everything from Full Service gas stations to careless techs at dealer service departments. 😒
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
So, you're going to get some near minimum wage grocery clerk in trouble or possibly fired because you were too lazy to load groceries in your car? Unbelievable!

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but come on man. Get real. Those scratches will easily buff out. There's no need to make a "claim" to pad up the bill.

From the reflection in the pics, you look strong enough to load groceries in your own car. Or, at least help the clerk load the groceries the rest of the way into the trunk to minimize any potential damage.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
So, you're going to get some near minimum wage grocery clerk in trouble or possibly fired because you were too lazy to load groceries in your car? Unbelievable!

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but come on man. Get real. Those scratches will easily buff out. There's no need to make a "claim" to pad up the bill.

From the reflection in the pics, you look strong enough to load groceries in your own car. Or, at least help the clerk load the groceries the rest of the way into the trunk to minimize any potential damage.
You should be helpful to the OP, or pass the post by. You're opinion on everything else does not matter.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Feel fortunate that you only have minor damage which can be fixed in less then 30 minutes.

People in Houston who have worked all their lives have lost everything they owned.

If you go to this store in the future, just load your own groceries. I'm quite sure if the worker at the store caused this, it wasn't intentional, due to the minimal depth.

You should feel fortunate it wasn't worse.

Light wetsand with 2000 (stay away from the edge of the bumper), pass with compound, pass with finishing polish, IPA or Eraser wipe down, apply protection, done.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:46 AM   #7
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
You should be helpful to the OP, or pass the post by. You're opinion on everything else does not matter.
In your words...."they should pay". Pay for what? A few minutes with a foam polishing pad or microfiber towel and some polish will buff that right out. Now, if the paint was chipped, that'd be a different story

If the OP was so concerned about any little scratch that could possibly happen, he should probably have loaded the groceries in the trunk himself.

What kind of guy sits in his car (like an old lady) and has groceries put in his trunk? I don't about you, but I'd be very self conscious doing something like that unless I was physically handicapped. From the reflection in the pics, he looks fairly healthy to me.

Damage like that would not be worth my time to go back to the store and complain to the manager and then fill out an insurance claim for something so minor. I would just go back home, get a rag with some polish on it, and buff it right out. Problem solved.

However, some people have nothing else to do with their time, I guess.

Last edited by gringo; 09-05-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
Aww cmon man that's messed up. You probably got some minimum wage worker fired for this. Those scratches are so minor that some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 will buff it right out with just a microfiber towel. Maybe next time load up your own groceries?
Arugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
In your words...."they should pay". Pay for what? A few minutes with a foam polishing pad or microfiber towel and some polish will buff that right out. Now, if the paint was chipped, that'd be a different story

If the OP was so concerned about any little scratch that could possibly happen, he should probably have loaded the groceries in the trunk himself.

What kind of guy sits in his car (like an old lady) and has groceries put in his trunk? I don't about you, but I'd be very self conscious doing something like that unless I was physically handicapped. From the reflection in the pics, he looks fairly healthy to me.

Damage like that would not be worth my time to go back to the store and complain to the manager and then fill out an insurance claim for something so minor. I would just go back home, get a rag with some polish on it, and buff it right out. Problem solved.

However, some people have nothing else to do with their time, I guess.
In my shortest possible response, because I don't want to get stuck on this: Yes, I would load my own groceries for many reasons. One is because I can, and two is because things like the above scratches or worse happen when other people deal with our Camaros. That being said, no matter how bad the scratches are, or you believing the OP should have loaded his own, they did happen, and they were caused by someone else. The OP should not just have to accept it. That's my opinion on it, but I respect your opinion as well.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #10
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Not the OPs fault this happened no matter what anyone says here. Look, if its their job to load the car then they should be mindful and aware of the cart in relation to the car and the items they are loading. How much they get paid is irrelevant as they are getting paid to do it.

On military bases at the commissary, they have baggers who are paid by tips only. Its not a hired position. They earn what ever you give to them as a tip. Personally I would rather load my own stuff as I don't like paying extra for someone to bag and load my car. All of this I can do better than they can. Even so, these baggers are typically very careful with their carts and placing the bags into the cars.

So what I am getting at is if the car gets scratched and they are loading it then its clearly their fault for failure to pay attention to detail.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Kids working at the grocery loading cars just dont understand. I did this once and after it was loaded, I nicely told the kid "if someone comes thru with a nice car, let the owner open and close the trunk, ask the where he wants the bags, etc."

I would not ask the store to pay anything. Those will polish right out.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Just went back and looked at the scratches again. I wouldn't go back and ask for compensation personally. That seems way too high maintenance to me. Like "doctor's wife" high maintenance LOL! Those scratches will probably hand polish out.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
gringo
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=JoeCamaro444;9895236]In my shortest possible response, because I don't want to get stuck on this: Yes, I would load my own groceries for many reasons. One is because I can, and two is because things like the above scratches or worse happen when other people deal with our Camaros. That being said, no matter how bad the scratches are, or you believing the OP should have loaded his own, they did happen, and they were caused by someone else. The OP should not just have to accept it. That's my opinion on it, but I respect your opinion as well.[\QUOTE]

Sure, I do agree that the store clerk should have been more careful. However, most people are not going to be as careful as you are about your car. I can't even stand people riding in my car because they tend to drag their shoes across the interior rocker trim panel when they get in.

Even if I couldn't load the groceries in myself, I would have at least exited the car and stood near the clerk telling them to be careful about scratching the paint as they loaded the groceries in.

Sitting in a brand new car that I care about and having them load the groceries would be a trust exercise I could not handle.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
That should polish out, you will probably need to use compound and finishing polish, but it should come out. I had a friend do similar damage on my 5th gen. Took like 10 minutes to fix.

I bought my 6th gen with similar damage from the automatic wash the dealership used, it was against the trunk lid and spoiler, drag lines. It took a good amount of polishing, but most of it came out without much trouble. I didn't really say much because I knew I could fix it.

If paint was removed and would require touch up or repair by a body shop, yeah I'd make a fuss about it. But some light scratches that will polish out? Not a big deal and if anything a good reason to purchase a dual action polisher, polish/compound, and some pads and learn a new skill.