The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Rdd3

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51
Strange "audio off" bug

OK, so I'm having a problem with my new C7. I started the car and saw the message "Audio off" on the main display (the one in the instrument cluster where the speedo is). And the backlights on the steering wheel buttons were all off (the steering wheel was completely dark). I could switch to other modes using the steering wheel controls, but when in the "audio" mode it just reported "Audio Off" (even though the stereo was playing and I could still adjust the volume and change stations via the media touch screen). The Fav up down and volume up down controls on the steering wheel did nothing. I tried actually turning the radio off and on a few times, and tried restarting the car a few times. No change. After the car sat for a few hours and I restarted it, it was back to normal and working fine. So I figured I'd just ignore it and hope I didn't see it again.

Tonight (about a week later), the same thing happened, only this time while I was driving. The audio went off for a second and then came back on, but with the "Audio off" message, dark steering wheel controls, etc, just as before. I let the car sit for a few hours again, and when I restarted it, it was still in that state.

I'm a little reluctant to take it in to the dealer based on some of the horror stories (I think the techs at the dealer really have no idea about what's going on with these cars given how new they are).

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, and what people would recommend I do about it. I'm loving the car and have only had it a couple of weeks. I'm inclined to just live with it for a month or two and then take it in, hoping the dealer might actually have a clue about the problem by then.
Rdd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
almost 100% chance if you did take it in that the tech would do a global reset first...it's as simple as disocnnecting the batt cables and touch the cables together for a min, to drain the caps in the system, then reconnect on batt cable at a time...

many cars these days have glitches like this as the software can get confused from time to time....the other possibility is a loose connector..
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
SSDRIVER

Drives: 2006 H3
Rdd3, I have encountered this condition that you have and was informed that'
there is a software update in the works to correct this anomaly, and you will have to take it to the dealer to have them update it, no worries...................
SSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Rdd3

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51
Yeah, I kind of figured the longer I waited, the better chance they would have the problem figured out.

I noticed a couple of other new issues today. When talking on the phone over BlueTooth or when playing audio from my iPod via a hardwired connection, I get a loud popping about once a second (playing FM radio sounds great). Definitely wasn't like that before. I was starting to think maybe this was a loose cable or connection, but there's so much software running this car, I could easily imagine it was all software bugs.
Rdd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Richierichc7

Drives: Stingray
Audio off

I have the same issue my steering wheel button for volume stopped working .. Did you find a solution?
Richierichc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
OldSchool

Drives: 2014 LRG 2LT Z51 Stingray
Software update needed to get rid of intermittent steering wheel controls issue - see this thread: http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330856
OldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Richierichc7

Drives: Stingray
Thanks old school
Richierichc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
watski

Drives: 2014 3LT
now me ...

I have a 2014 C7 and same issue just happened to me . just curious if a software fix truly exists and did it resolve your issues ??
watski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 AM   #9
STINGmole

Drives: 2016 Arctic White Stingray
Hello watski! Being as I just purchased a 2016 (with the latest version Android Auto update to the entertainment system) and I have the "audio off" issue...I'm going to guess "NO". It appears the issue still exists.

As for a workaround, I've discovered if you change audio modes (I almost exclusively listen to USB media) you can restore the audio. In other words, if I'm listening to USB and I get the audio off message, I switch over to radio...then back to media...and audio is restored.

I also just read on another forum, where the problem is due to Onstar trying to connect. Supposedly (haven't tried it yet) if you hit the mirror OnStar button and disconnect, audio is restored.

Last edited by STINGmole; 06-27-2016 at 11:59 PM.
STINGmole is offline   Reply With Quote