The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Slower Traffic Keep Right....Florida!!!

My position on this used to be if a person wanted to drive in the fast lane, and is doing the speed limit, that’s his or her right. You should go around. However, I personally move over for faster traffic, but has no problem going around a person. So this issue never bothered me until I recently moved to FL. I never seen anything like this and my commute on I4 is treacherous because of this! I guess it never bothered me before because in GA that law is really enforced. I’m not sure if it’s enforced here in FL. Doesn’t appear to be. Curious to know how people feel about this as my opinions have changed since moving to FL.

Last edited by sonnydurden; 12-02-2017 at 09:09 AM.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
It's the law to keep right if you are slower traffic. It's illegal to pass on the right.
People holding me up in the left lane piss me off to no end
Old 12-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
While slower traffic should keep right and the ones that have the responsibility to move over, not the traffic that wants to pass, it doesn't really bother me necessarily for me to go around them.

What pisses me off to no end are the ones that either create a rolling roadblock with the person in the right lane or has room to move over and I don't and they still don't move over.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
sonnydurden

See in Georgia they have what is called the “Slow Poke” law and it is enforced! That law says a driver has to move out of the far left lane if approached from behind by a vehicle going faster than you. You should move to the right and allow them to pass, even if that driver is speeding. It cuts down on road rage and drivers forced to be agressive trying to get around the slower car. Here in FL these people WILL NOT move over for anything!!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
lol bro welcome to Q-tip 'ville! Wait till you see one propped up in the drivers seat with pillows and O2 in the nostrils...

And I feel your pain bro! I DD and run into this and other inconsiderate! behavior on the road all the time...and I also agree that if LEO spent a little more time on the passive/aggressive drivers and the truckers! we all would live easier...

luckily some folk mistake ME for LEO(ROFL) 'cause I roll up on them so fast it literally scares the poop out of them(they swerve, brake and start stare'n back at you like YOU are the problem..LMFAO...and move right over thank you very much! For those that don't or refuse to wake up? Well(when safe people, been drive'n for like hmmm 40+ years(yeah I'm old so wat?) I perform what I consider is my(and now OUR) basic civic responsibility when it comes to driven on the hwy and seeing peeps SLEEPIN behind the wheel...I will pass on the right and all my exhaust note be their alarm clock! Very effective! hahaha...too funny really since by then they are receding so fast in the rear view it's hard to catch their expression and THEN the f'in arse bungs move OVER?!?!?!?!?!? WTF it's like spite after the fact...so child'ish!

So OP in your case sounds like your f'd unless you can flex time and avoid the worst or explore alt routes(prob not an option..hard to drive thru a swamp!) So deep breath and enjoy the knowledge that you can blow anything around you away with a simple press of the go pedal! Peace Out!
Old 12-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Typically, when there are "Slower Traffic Keep Right" laws, the other part of that law is "Keep Right Except to Pass". Those are the two ways that law is expressed on signs here in the state of Washington.

What that means is...don't hang out in the left lane and just pull over when someone is behind you. If you're not passing someone, pull over. Is it really that much of a hardship to change lanes?

Sucks that traffic is like that in Florida. We get a lot of old folks driving up where I used to live (Camano Island), and they would NEVER pull over so you would have to pass them on the right.

If you watch the following video long enough, you'll see I practice what I preach.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
When I was teaching my kids to drive, I told them - on a two lane highway, left lane is for passing, right lane is for cruising and exiting the highway. If you are not passing someone, get over to the right. If you are in the right lane and someone is merging, get over to the left if you can and then move back right when you are clear. On a 3+ lane highway, you cruise in the middle lanes, pass on the left and use the right to exit.

Traffic moves much better when people follow these basic rules.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Florida sucks on so many different levels. This is just one more of the long list.

And yes, get your lazy a$$ out of the left lane. I hate people driving in the left lane with NO ONE ELSE AROUND!!! Like seriously, why?!? These are almost ALWAYS NY, CT, or MA plates. Like 90+%.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Typically, when there are "Slower Traffic Keep Right" laws, the other part of that law is "Keep Right Except to Pass". Those are the two ways that law is expressed on signs here in the state of Washington.

What that means is...don't hang out in the left lane and just pull over when someone is behind you. If you're not passing someone, pull over. Is it really that much of a hardship to change lanes?

Sucks that traffic is like that in Florida. We get a lot of old folks driving up where I used to live (Camano Island), and they would NEVER pull over so you would have to pass them on the right.

If you watch the following video long enough, you'll see I practice what I preach.

Nice video!!!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post

I miss that about WA...now I'm here in OR and people suck. I know that earlier this year the State Patrol really got on enforcing the move over laws and it made things a lot better at least in my experience.

I really like that Georgia Slow Poke Rule...that is great.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:59 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Oh, and here's a video I made back when I had my 5th Gen...you could say I'm passionate about "keep right except to pass".

Old 12-03-2017, 01:40 AM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
FL Statute 316.081.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #13
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Had a tree huggng panty-waist in a Prius going 50mph in left lane during rush hour when safe speed is what the traffic is doing. He would NOT move over and when I passed him on the right he flipped ME off!! Been researching whether I could fit a .50 cal under the hood. Ha!!
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
I-4 is horriffic on soooo many levels.drove home from daytona last night,sat in 3 traffic jams and was doing 80 in the left lane maintaining a safe distance from the car in front who kept hitting his brakes.had a couple of cars go around us so they could practice tailgating the car in front of us.meanwhile we were passing the other two lanes of traffic.glad to get home...too bad there arent many ways to avoid I-4,really didnt fancy route 40 in the dark,lots of wildlife to cross the road up there.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote