Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 12-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCornhead View Post
To me the biggest variable in this discussion will be the price tags on both
I read an article recently in which it was stated that GM and DCX may have a difficult time keeping prices comparable to the Mustang, re; more sophisticated chassis, and while GM will be able to keep prices in check, DCX has scrubbed plans for a cheaper Challenger and most likely will offer it in limited numbers, and only in a more "premium" model.

It seems to me GM will try to appeal to a broader range with the Camaro while DCX is targeting those who are willing to pay more money for a limited, high-performance edition car.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 AM   #16
BigRedCornhead

Drives: 94 Badass Z28
Well put and thank god for GM's gracious heart for us po' folk' lol . Honestly i would love the top of line saleen model with 600 hp or whatever, but all i really need is a black z with 6 speeds and 400hp to improve on hehehehehe. Barebones and badass!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 PM   #17
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
I was watching the Original Challenger ads on www.youtube.com , and the Police were harrassing a guy because they thought he couldn't afford such a car.

I don't think that will be the case for the new one.....probably the opposite.

I've heard DCX is pondering whether to make a high cost/low production or a low cost/high production vehicle.
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
My guess is it will be a high cost/ low production model. Just a guess, though. At least I hope it goes that way. It will make it to where not everyone will be able to afford a Challenger. Might make more people pick up a Camaro?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
BigRedCornhead

Drives: 94 Badass Z28
Thanks for that youtube.com link i didnt realize there were that many different camaro videos out there!!! I like what leno had to say too.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #20
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
I really think it will give the camaro a good run but the Camaro will win.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #21
Mestizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
My guess is it will be a high cost/ low production model. Just a guess, though. At least I hope it goes that way. It will make it to where not everyone will be able to afford a Challenger. Might make more people pick up a Camaro?
That's not a guess....that will be a fact.

Dodge can't justify a V6 at this point, so that kills the high production version. Not many people can afford a 31K+ car. 31K is the conservative estimate.

Camaro should win, the numbers versus versus war, but it'll be great to see those cars on the street.

I'd love to own a Hemi Orange & Plum Crazy Challengers.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:25 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I am sure I'd be looking for a new car within the next three years. I'm the kind of person who does not like to buy used unless it's below 10K miles, no accidents, no major warranty repairs, no nothing....just your run of the mill "new" car if you know what I mean that's been kept in excellent condition. If there was no Camaro to be made in the upcoming years, I would seriously look into the Challenger. The low production #'s would really bring me down but I'd seriously look into it. Only other ride would be the Infinity G35.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #23
Mestizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I am sure I'd be looking for a new car within the next three years. I'm the kind of person who does not like to buy used unless it's below 10K miles, no accidents, no major warranty repairs, no nothing....just your run of the mill "new" car if you know what I mean that's been kept in excellent condition. If there was no Camaro to be made in the upcoming years, I would seriously look into the Challenger. The low production #'s would really bring me down but I'd seriously look into it. Only other ride would be the Infinity G35.
Agreed.

I'll be in the market in a few years my plans are the following: Follow the Big 3....Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger.

I have an uncle who works for GM, so I'd either get a new Camaro (with discount ) or a 1yr used Mustang or Challenger.

My interest in the Challenger has dropped only because of the suspected price and a possible no manual transmission for R/T.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 PM   #24
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The Camaro and Challenger should weigh in close to the same. Both cars are designed to be a full size car and the current 300/Magnum/Charger really are not as heavy as some cars that size. With the Challenger being a 2 door and shorter frame, there should be a good amount of weight removed. I own a 06 300 and a 02 Z28, but I really like the LSX engine and is what makes the difference, the current Hemi's have had some reliability issues, but the suspension and transmission both Mercede's designs are great and the engines may get te bugs worked out. But I am still wanting the Camaro more, but I refuse to pay a marked up sticker, so may be a few years till I have one. I would think the Hemi Challenger could easily be made for 30k with a bunch of options. It's all good though, the more h.p the Mustang has and the Challenger the more GM will put in the Camaro and new GTO.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #25
shelbyGT500

Drives: 07 shelby GT-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
I can see that being a Firebird/Trans Am but not a G.T.O, I've seen this drawing of the G.T.O.
Thast what they should have done in the first place.Dont give us an overgrown cavalier.No offense to the owners.Great car for the $$ but no styling.
shelbyGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
OK. It's early still, and I'm only on my first cup of coffee, so if I repeat any info., I apologize.

As for the Camaro/Challenger comparison.

First. They are not "designed to be full size cars." From information gleaned from a very good source, being based on the 300C chassis, the Challenger will be bigger, weigh more, and offer a bigger back seat which will truly seat four comfortably. It will also be built in less numbers, and only offered as a "top dog" model, with the Hemi and/or possibly as an RT model with the bigger Hemi. Seeing both in person, the Challenger is bigger.

And second. The Camaro. It will weigh less then the Challenger, and while it too has a back seat, it will be smaller.

Here are the specs.

Challenger
Wheelbase: 115.9 in
Length/width/height: 197.8/78.6/57.0 in
Curb weight: 4100 lb

Camaro
Wheelbase: 110.5 in
Curb Weight: 3,600 lbs
Dimensions (L/W/H/): 186.2 / 79.6 / 53.0

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #27
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
Hey sounds good to me. I am defently getting a new Camaro it is wider and lower and shorter that all sounds like a hell of a package to me.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

The Camaro will be lighter, smaller, and also more agile. Don't forget that this concept Camaro is 6 inches wider that any Camaro ever built. BUT...even though they scored some big points with me there, they screwed it up and made it narrow again for the production version....... Either way, this Camaro will still have the edge on the Charger.