Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Love me some black rims!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
kbeery

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Great job they look awesome
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
2011 Camaro SS/RS
kbeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
I had mine dipped for about a year. only problem i had was along the lip. its hard to get it real good between the rim and the tire and after a year of daily driving in illinois weather it starts to show a little silver along the edge. Long story short its a good temporary thing but if youre gonna have your car for awhile might as well get them powdercoated or painted. I plastidipped some stripes, side mirrors, bowties, and taillight bezels and those are holding up good on my car. IMO if you drive a lot and live in a place where the weather is always changing youre better off gettin them done right.
Asian Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
looks good but personally I would never do it. I was at my local car wash and a guy came in to take the plastic dip off from his rims, he told me it's great at first but after a while it'll drive you nuts cus it's so cheap. I was planning to plastic dip mine too but after hearing and seeing his frustration I decide to wait for my tax return and powder coat them.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
looks good but personally I would never do it. I was at my local car wash and a guy came in to take the plastic dip off from his rims, he told me it's great at first but after a while it'll drive you nuts cus it's so cheap. I was planning to plastic dip mine too but after hearing and seeing his frustration I decide to wait for my tax return and powder coat them.

I think it's great if you want to see what your car will look like with black rims but it’s not a very good permanent solution. However if you like to change it up often, not such a bad idea.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
i got quoted $100 per rim for powder coat. thats +/-20 cans of plastidip. so far ive done all rims 2 times, full t3 stripes, rear bow tie, rear bezels, side view mirrors, and lower door stripes. and ive probably used like 15 cans. I mean if you dont really know what your doing with this stuff i agree it can turn out like shit. but if you use it as much as I have and get the hang of how to apply it it looks ALMOST as good as vinyl at 1/4 the price. Im just sayin. right now my rims are back to stock but everything else is still dipped on my car.
Asian Zero is offline   Reply With Quote