Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
pabloss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
excuse my ignorance.how do i drive my car in m mode

hi everyone.excuse my ignorance.how do I drive my automatic ss l99 Camaro on manual mode.and can you explain what s mode means?..and when should I shift..im confused lol...need you guys to share some knowelge with me..
pabloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Start the car , pull the shifter towards the back where it says S , then use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to shift up ( right hand side ) and down ( left hand side )
If you leave the stick ( shifter ) that's on the center console pulled to the back and don't touch it , it will stay ON SPORT mode ( automatic ) but more aggressive shifting ( will only shift at higher RPM ) than on DRIVE.
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
S mode means the tranny is shifting for you, but going to higher rpms in each gear than it would in D, and shifting more abruptly.

When the shift lever is in M, you can begin using the paddles. Once you touch the paddles, you are on your own to shift appropriately. The display now shows the gear you're in, M1, M2, M3, etc, instead of S. There's a good explanation of this in the user's manual.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
2xSSRS

Drives: 2017 SS Black on Black A8
Like You Stole It....
Old 10-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSSRS View Post
Like You Stole It....
The capital S in stole it is for Sport Mode. couldn't help my self
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
Start the car , pull the shifter towards the back where it says S , then use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to shift up ( right hand side ) and down ( left hand side )
If you leave the stick ( shifter ) that's on the center console pulled to the back and don't touch it , it will stay ON SPORT mode ( automatic ) but more aggressive shifting ( will only shift at higher RPM ) than on DRIVE.
Correct but one minor clarification to avoid confusion - on the auto shift lever center console, there isn't a S but M (right below D) - but that M will put it in S (Sport mode). In Sport mode you can use the paddle shifters or let the tranny shift itself w/o touching the paddle shifters. I drive mine in M/Sport mode and let the tranny to the shifting.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Wattser93

Drives: 2013 2SS RS L99
Another thing you may or may not know. If you're in "M" and take over with the paddles you can press and hold the upshift paddle and it'll return to sport mode with automatic shifting.
Wattser93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Okay I was extremely confused for a second because I've never seen an S on my shifter. However, let me get this straight putting the car in "M" and I can shift using paddles. If I long press the up shift it'll still be in "M" but the car will do the shifting for me? I've been afraid to use the "M" mode as I do think want to screw up anything that I'm sure has to be stupid proof to some degree.
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloss View Post
hi everyone.excuse my ignorance.how do I drive my automatic ss l99 Camaro on manual mode.and can you explain what s mode means?..and when should I shift..im confused lol...need you guys to share some knowelge with me..
Read your manual. All of it.
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Blutob2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Explain how suggesting reading the manual is not helpful? Cars and technology is getting more complicated so it's ignorant not to read the manual.
Blutob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
xrivera91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutob2 View Post
Explain how suggesting reading the manual is not helpful? Cars and technology is getting more complicated so it's ignorant not to read the manual.
Wasn't trying to be an ass. It's just we don't know if he even owns a manual or understood it for that matter. I've found this website to be extremely helpful thanks to everyone who is a part of it. Hope he gets the answers he's looking for. Plus I'd like to see as well.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrivera91 View Post
Okay I was extremely confused for a second day because I've never seen an S on my shifter. However, let me get this straight putting the car in "M" and I can shift using paddles. If I long press the up shift it'll still be in "M" but the car will do the shifting for me? I've been afraid to use the "M" mode as I do think want to screw up anything that I'm sure has to be stupid proof to some degree.
You'll see an S in your Heads Up Display (and the Driver's Information Center). Once you start shifting the S will go away and you'll see what gear you're in on the Heads Up Display (and DIC). If you hold the right tap shifter for a few seconds it will cancel the Tap Shift and return it to Sport Mode, which is basically the same as having it in Drive. You have you Heads Up Display turned on, right?

In Sport mode, or M if you're looking at your shifter, it's pretty much the same as D even though the owner's manual says it holds the gears longer and has a firmer shift. Maybe it does on the track but I haven't seen it on the road yet. The added benefit of using your tap shift to drive is it temporarily shuts off AFM (in other words it stays in 8 cylinder mode). Any DOWNSHIFT shuts off AFM until you restart the car, shift back to Drive, or hold the right tap shift for two seconds. However, you won't find that in the owner's manual. They're not about to publicly tell you how to defeat something that was put in to avoid a gas guzzler tax.

To make it even more confusing even though the manual says, "To use Tap Shift, the
shift lever must be in M (Manual Mode)", that's not entirely true. You can also Tap Shift in Drive but it will cancel itself automatically when the car needs to upshift. No need to hold down the right Tap Shift button for two seconds. It's good for things like downshifting into a turn, using the transmission to slow down rather than your brakes, scaring people on the sidewalk, and setting off car alarms.

Last edited by yescats; 10-11-2015 at 08:37 PM.
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
Wattser93

Drives: 2013 2SS RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrivera91 View Post
Okay I was extremely confused for a second because I've never seen an S on my shifter. However, let me get this straight putting the car in "M" and I can shift using paddles. If I long press the up shift it'll still be in "M" but the car will do the shifting for me? I've been afraid to use the "M" mode as I do think want to screw up anything that I'm sure has to be stupid proof to some degree.
Put shifter into "M". You'll see "S" in your HUD. You're now in sport mode with automatic shifting.

If you use a paddle to shift, you'll see the gear selection in your HUD, you now have to shift manually. When you want it to go back to automatic shifting, holding the upshift paddle until it goes back to "S" in your HUD. Now you're back in sport mode with automatic shifting.

You're not going to break anything. Try it in a parking lot and you'll have it figured out in about 45 seconds.
Wattser93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #14
xrivera91

Thanks for the breakdown I'm going to give it a shot.