Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Malibu T
Barbie Aficionado

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
BUSTED! Finally got my 1st ticket (w/photo's!)

"Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law!" Caught approaching the intersection at 19mph, in a 35mph zone. Really lucky I didn't kill someone ...with my foot on the brake & right blinker on?? This was NOT a "no right turn on red" violation. So my guess is, maybe I didn't make a complete (2, 3, 4 sec.) stop??? I'd literally just pulled out of a dealership a few blocks back, after waiting 5hrs in their customer lounge for full paint correction & polish (Hence the shine!). I had passed about 1/4mile of VERY heavy afternoon traffic turning left. By the time I rounded the last few curves, I was within a few hundred ft from the intersection (westbound, center lane). I haven't lived in Va Beach for yrs, so it was taking a moment to recognize the area & busy "new" traffic pattern. I quickly realized I needed to be in the left turn lane, heading back towards the Interstate & south to NC.
However, knowing I was:
*A. WAY too late to get into the left lane (light changed to amber).
*B. Driving a Camaro SS, therefore, everyone would squeeze together like sardines & put their blinders on the second I flipped my left blinker...
...I opted to scoot over into the right lane & go around the block, before the rear approaching traffic pinned me in the center westbound (straight) lane. That was an even bigger mistake! Traffic was ridiculous, and I do not have GPS/Navigation.

Found an article that said Va Beach received $1.5 MILLION in revenue for these 13 redlight cameras in 2012. No one challenges these tickets. It's definitely my Camaro... though, I did install my new stripes within 24hrs after. ("...but Judge, it wasn't my SS!")

What's your opinion about ticketing via mail & street cams?
I'm also curious how this works... Does the officer actually decide who to ticket when he/she is reviewing these vids? (Is a sin, a "Sin", regardless.) Do assigned officers simply check the "crab-pots" once a wk, verify VIN w/plates, & submit a certain quota of summons? If I had approached the light at 50mph, or smoked the tires through the right turn, would it still be $50?
(because my husband is giving me that level of crap about getting this ticket! Haha!) Not bashing law enforcement... they have a very difficult job, & issuing minor traffic tickets is the least of it... but doesn't this seem a bit like those famous small town $$cash cow$$ speed traps? If I'm going to be labeled a Road Rebel, I would've at least liked to have been captured leading that pack of beaters that were SERIOUSLY blowing through the light turning left.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm failing to see why you even got the ticket if you stopped and then turned right when it was all clear

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I got the same ticket, its cause I didnt make a full stop when turning

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
its still only a $50 ticket, it could be passing a schoolbus or cutting off a pedestrian haha
Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
seanjhon

Drives: 2013 camaro
Arnt these tickets illegal if the officers does not hand them to you?! I thought I read that somewhere...

anywhooo...this happened to me when I actually first got my camaro, and when I called they said it was indeed because i did not stop for the full 3 secs....either way took it to court, got it dismissed...you can actually view the video by going online and putting in that ticket number (well that is how its set up here in colorado).

Good luck
seanjhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Pathogen

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
In Ohio, a judge found that the cameras violate due process. I would fight it.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
stop light cameras are illegal here. Maybe you should move lol
Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
From what I can read in NC traffic law. There is no time requirement for a complete stop. Just that you stop completely. As long as your wheels stopped turning, and you had no forward progress (no matter how slight the timing). You've come to a complete stop and have satisfied the letter of the law. There is nothing that I can see that mentions any length of time you have to be stopped to be considered stopped. Just the wording over and over "complete stop".

If you rolled it, you're hosed.

Watch the video and look for yourself.

Fighting these tickets is sometimes painful because you can just pay the fine and be done with it. It may cost you a bit more to fight it. Even if you win, you've probably paid more than the fine.

Of course IANAL.
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Here's the website to view the video if you are so inclined: https://www.photonotice.com/

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I got one of those tickets in GA where we live. I had noticed a flash (it was after dark), so I was not surprised when I got something in the mail. I had all dreamed up in my mind that I was going to claim I had stopped short, so when I was moving through the sensor area, it caught me as I pulled up. Right before I went down to the police station to plead my case, I thought I should watch the video online. Really glad I did! Not only did I not come to a complete stop, I don't think I got below 10 MPH. I was guilty as hell. I did end up going to the police station, but I brought a check for my fine.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
From what I can read in NC traffic law. There is no time requirement for a complete stop. Just that you stop completely. As long as your wheels stopped turning, and you had no forward progress (no matter how slight the timing). You've come to a complete stop and have satisfied the letter of the law. There is nothing that I can see that mentions any length of time you have to be stopped to be considered stopped. Just the wording over and over "complete stop".

If you rolled it, you're hosed.

Watch the video and look for yourself.

Fighting these tickets is sometimes painful because you can just pay the fine and be done with it. It may cost you a bit more to fight it. Even if you win, you've probably paid more than the fine.

Of course IANAL.
You make a good point, but maybe in the future you would want to spell out I am not a lawyer. Just a suggestion.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
You make a good point, but maybe in the future you would want to spell out I am not a lawyer. Just a suggestion.
I agree.
Attached Images

67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
I agree.

What the shit!! I missed that one!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Ask the member that tried returning his Camaro - bet hes got some legal words to use! haha... anyway, they have removed them here in San Diego too, since they caused more trouble for the courts than they were worth. Also, only sent the ticket out with a 'recommended' to pay amount, non-enforceable...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote