Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-03-2024, 09:23 AM   #1
Tonys10SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
2018 Camaro ZL1 Purchase

So, moving from a 1972 Chevelle SS with a 620 horsepower big block under the hood, I am looking for a new toy and finally test drove a 2022 ZL1 and immediately fell in love! That car ended up selling which is no big deal but have found a 2018 ZL1 with about 16000 miles on it. Besides the oil pump failures on the 2017-2018 models, is there anything on these cars mechanically to look for? Obviously it's a used car but very low mileage for the year! I would more than likely look at an extended warranty and just pay for that, but the way I see it is if the pump fails I would more than likely cam it and do a build on it anyway.

The car overall seems very clean, 1 owner, A10, low miles and has red seat belts with the carbon fiber hood insert as well.The car has no modifications at all other than windows tint and smoked side markers. I do know the tunes on the engines changed in 2019 slightly but that is not a signicant difference to me anyway. I am going to go take a look and see if I can't find anything wrong with the car and hopefully report back with good news!
Tonys10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:54 AM   #2
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Chevy did a great job of giving us the old school muscle car vibe with the modern electronics and 50 years of technology.
I just bought a 2017, a few months ago, with 15,000 miles so good luck!
I would definitely get the warranty, its worth it. If the pump goes that more than pays for the warranty price tag. Its better to get the warranty yourself and pay for it in a couple years (at half the dealer price) and if you are financing it you are not paying that extra interest on top of the inflated dealer warranty.
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:59 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonys10SS View Post
So, moving from a 1972 Chevelle SS with a 620 horsepower big block under the hood, I am looking for a new toy and finally test drove a 2022 ZL1 and immediately fell in love! That car ended up selling which is no big deal but have found a 2018 ZL1 with about 16000 miles on it. Besides the oil pump failures on the 2017-2018 models, is there anything on these cars mechanically to look for? Obviously it's a used car but very low mileage for the year! I would more than likely look at an extended warranty and just pay for that, but the way I see it is if the pump fails I would more than likely cam it and do a build on it anyway.

The car overall seems very clean, 1 owner, A10, low miles and has red seat belts with the carbon fiber hood insert as well.The car has no modifications at all other than windows tint and smoked side markers. I do know the tunes on the engines changed in 2019 slightly but that is not a signicant difference to me anyway. I am going to go take a look and see if I can't find anything wrong with the car and hopefully report back with good news!
Aside from the oil pump, I think you'd be safe. Some people don't like the updated tail lights, too, so that might be a plus for you also. The infotainment/instrument cluster are a little different, too, but again - if you don't care - no biggie. I'd also look into bleeding the IC system, as many don't come from the factory bled well. OH - check that the bypass valve is adjusted correctly. You might be able to pick up a pound or two of boost if it's mal-adjusted.

The tune difference, I think, is mostly the crackle in the coasting, and if you wanted it that bad, there's a "crackle-tuner" here (he's actually a good calibrator, and my reference is from another website) that could hook you up, and you'd just have to reflash for smog. There's also another calibrator here who could help you out, too. Both of which are VERY helpful here, and I'm sure would do a great job if you were ever interested (both of whom I'd trust with tuning my car). Ted Jannetty is one of our Sponsors, too, who can also remote tune, and I've used personally, and have had great experience with.

Good luck on your search! Report back good news!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:38 PM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

As mentioned the tune only makes the exhaust pop/crackle more. All ZL1s from 2017-2024 perform exactly the same.

But the oil pump is the only thing to look out for but only for certain build dates. Octoberish 2017 to May/June 2018.

The cars don't come with a factory coolant reservoir for the supercharger and do have a possibility to get air in it. You can find a tutorial on how to do it yourself or you can go but one from a vendor for a few hundred $$$. Then you'll be able to check the fluid level yourself and it'll bleed out any air by itself.

Check the coolant for the engine as well. It has 2 parts. The top should be full and the bottom should be filled to the appropriate line.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:23 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Go for it I say!!
Old 04-03-2024, 07:45 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
That's what I will say, too. Pick her up and fall in love again (and again)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:05 AM   #7
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
But the oil pump is the only thing to look out for but only for certain build dates. Octoberish 2017 to May/June 2018.
Mine is 6/17 build date. Maybe I'll survive.
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:13 PM   #8
Tonys10SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Aside from the oil pump, I think you'd be safe. Some people don't like the updated tail lights, too, so that might be a plus for you also. The infotainment/instrument cluster are a little different, too, but again - if you don't care - no biggie. I'd also look into bleeding the IC system, as many don't come from the factory bled well. OH - check that the bypass valve is adjusted correctly. You might be able to pick up a pound or two of boost if it's mal-adjusted.

The tune difference, I think, is mostly the crackle in the coasting, and if you wanted it that bad, there's a "crackle-tuner" here (he's actually a good calibrator, and my reference is from another website) that could hook you up, and you'd just have to reflash for smog. There's also another calibrator here who could help you out, too. Both of which are VERY helpful here, and I'm sure would do a great job if you were ever interested (both of whom I'd trust with tuning my car). Ted Jannetty is one of our Sponsors, too, who can also remote tune, and I've used personally, and have had great experience with.

Good luck on your search! Report back good news!
Oh yes! I know Ted well, he did the tune on my 2010 Camaro SS years ago when I had that vehicle. He does exceptional work! No I do not necessarily care about the crackle or not on coasting or deceleration. The car will most likely be built eventually and have an exhaust anyway.

Unfortunately, the seller of this particular car is not interested in showing the vehicle, and while it was a decent price, my opinion is it was about $3-4k too high. Especially to be out of warranty and it may or may not have pump issues. Regardless, the gentleman decided to block my number after asking to come and view the car yesterday. So my search continues!
Old 04-04-2024, 12:21 PM   #9
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Oh yes! I know Ted well, he did the tune on my 2010 Camaro SS years ago when I had that vehicle. He does exceptional work! No I do not necessarily care about the crackle or not on coasting or deceleration. The car will most likely be built eventually and have an exhaust anyway.

Unfortunately, the seller of this particular car is not interested in showing the vehicle, and while it was a decent price, my opinion is it was about $3-4k too high. Especially to be out of warranty and it may or may not have pump issues. Regardless, the gentleman decided to block my number after asking to come and view the car yesterday. So my search continues!
Possibly a scam or possibly a tactic to convince his wife that nobody wants to buy it and should just keep it?
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:46 PM   #10
Tonys10SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Possibly a scam or possibly a tactic to convince his wife that nobody wants to buy it and should just keep it?
My fiance spoke to him over the phone because I figured he blocked my number. She brought up the oil pump issues that year and he seemed to be clueless on it and basically said he knew nothing about it. But the whole conversation according to my fiance, he seemed nonchalant about it and did not really care about it. He is asking $56,500 so I came in at $52,000 which is strong for a 6 year old car regardless of the mileage. And the car may have pump issues, we just do not know! Gentleman says he is not taking a penny less than $56,000...
Old 04-04-2024, 12:49 PM   #11
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
My fiance spoke to him over the phone because I figured he blocked my number. She brought up the oil pump issues that year and he seemed to be clueless on it and basically said he knew nothing about it. But the whole conversation according to my fiance, he seemed nonchalant about it and did not really care about it. He is asking $56,500 so I came in at $52,000 which is strong for a 6 year old car regardless of the mileage. And the car may have pump issues, we just do not know! Gentleman says he is not taking a penny less than $56,000...
I guess the only question is, why would he not want you to look at it unless there’s something to be concerned about? Spider senses are tingling move on. I would feel better you buying some thing a little newer if possible as it being in the used category
Old 04-04-2024, 01:06 PM   #12
Tonys10SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I guess the only question is, why would he not want you to look at it unless there’s something to be concerned about? Spider senses are tingling move on. I would feel better you buying some thing a little newer if possible as it being in the used category
Oh yeah! I am not dealing with this particular car at all! He can sit and wait longer to sell if that is what he is trying to do.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:39 PM   #13
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I mean, he could be telling the truth. If this is a person that isn't involved in the car community, online forums, etc. Then he wouldn't know because did GM ever send out a letter to owners talking about this potential issue? Nope.

Because I never got one for my 2018 ZL1. Just like they never did a recall or send or warnings for the 04 GTO fuel rail covers cutting into the fuel line and causing the engine to catch fire.

Keep searching, you'll find others out there for sale. But people are going to want a higher price since the Camaro is no longer in production.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:44 PM   #14
CalgaryZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
I mean, he could be telling the truth. If this is a person that isn't involved in the car community, online forums, etc. Then he wouldn't know because did GM ever send out a letter to owners talking about this potential issue? Nope.

Because I never got one for my 2018 ZL1. Just like they never did a recall or send or warnings for the 04 GTO fuel rail covers cutting into the fuel line and causing the engine to catch fire.

Keep searching, you'll find others out there for sale. But people are going to want a higher price since the Camaro is no longer in production.
That is very true, it’s the whole approach of the situation, maybe he thought he was going to get jacked because of the forwardness of the communication wanting to view the car as soon as possible?