Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Let's Talk Suspensions

So, it's back, it's been back all summer actually.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459163

I had my front shocks replaced under warranty last August, and they were fine for the rest of the summer/fall, but when the weather got warm again this spring/summer, the car-shattering !BANG! came back just as loud and cringe-worthy as before. I'm done with this crap and I'm sure as hell not paying out of pocket (warranty is now over for my 2014) for more of the same shitty shocks.

What are some of my choices for replacements? I'm not interested in lowering my car as it is my daily driver and I firmly believe in the value of suspension travel, but if a great set of matched springs/shocks happen to lower the car a little, so be it.

I will only go stiffer, not softer. I'm not looking for IMSA race-car stiff, but I don't mind going stiffer than stock as long as it's properly damped (stiff and "jarring" are two different things and a proper suspension can be both stiff and smooth at the same time). Reducing some of the excessive brake-dive is definitely a plus.

I first looked at the Detroit Speed offering, as they seem to be some excellent kit, but front struts alone will cost what the entire GM Z/28 kit will cost. I have thought about the Z/28 kit, and as of right now, it's the top of the list that includes only the DS and GM offerings.

What else is out there?
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I think some people have tried the Bilsteins and I think Justice Pete has talked about them in a few threads I've seen. Then you could just replace the struts/shocks with Bilsteins and likely retain the same ride quality you have now. I also thought that Koni had come out with a set of Yellows for the Camaro now too.

If I replace my 1LE suspension with anything though I'll likely just go with the Z/28 kit and call it done. It's a fully engineered package for that chassis. It will be stiffer though and I believe from other peoples past projects (X25's 1LE build comes to mind) that the Z/28 set up will lower the car a little over the 1LE set up.

Last edited by Nick S; 09-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
If you've got the money, I'd go with the Z/28 kit. That's the best damping you're going to get short of maybe the Detroit Speed, Penske or possibly Ride tech triple adjustables. If you're looking more at the budget end of the spectrum, I'd look at Koni yellows or Pedders XA coilovers. I have the XAS on my car, and while they're stiff they ride pretty well in most conditions. You would have pretty easy damping adjustment and you could corner balance the car as well, while keeping the ride height drop less than an inch. I have no experience with the Konis, but I've heard good things from threads on here and from Mustang drivers I've met at autox.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Billy10mm

Anyone know the OE 1LE spring rates and the Penske, Pedders, or RideTech ones? 1" drop is far too much. I live/work in the greater NYC area, there are times when I wished for more ride height, not less. If the Z/28 kit was 1/2" lower or less, I can deal with that, but 1" is just too much.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
I have the Z28 springs, shocks, and sways on my car. I don't mind them because my car is used mainly for autocross. Trust me when I say they are more than just a bit stiffer than the 1LE setup. They will pound you on bad pavement. Brake dive and squat is eliminated to a large extent however. I like the setup but it's not for the faint of heart.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Angelr

Drives: z4mc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Anyone know the OE 1LE spring rates and the Penske, Pedders, or RideTech ones? 1" drop is far too much. I live/work in the greater NYC area, there are times when I wished for more ride height, not less. If the Z/28 kit was 1/2" lower or less, I can deal with that, but 1" is just too much.
The Pedders Xa's are 447 front and 559 rear...can't help with the others.
Angelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
In the thread for the ride...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
2014white2ssrs1le

Drives: 2014 white 2ss rs 1le
I've heard the Bilstein b6s are a step up from stock 1LE and keep a nice ride quality...

My car has done the same thing over a sharp bump but other than the bang on the bump it drives great...warranty will cover replacement struts for this issue?
2014white2ssrs1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Went with the BC Racing ER Series CO's after doing a good bit of research. Have had them on for about a year, and have been very happy, from the fitment to the adjustments, to the ride.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014white2ssrs1le View Post
I've heard the Bilstein b6s are a step up from stock 1LE and keep a nice ride quality...

My car has done the same thing over a sharp bump but other than the bang on the bump it drives great...warranty will cover replacement struts for this issue?
Yes, they covered it. I had to do a ride-along with my service manager to show him, but they replaced the shocks. Lasted 6 months on the new front shocks and it was back again.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
2014white2ssrs1le

Drives: 2014 white 2ss rs 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Yes, they covered it. I had to do a ride-along with my service manager to show him, but they replaced the shocks. Lasted 6 months on the new front shocks and it was back again.
That's crazy...other than the loud noise, has this been known to cause other issues?
2014white2ssrs1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014white2ssrs1le View Post
That's crazy...other than the loud noise, has this been known to cause other issues?
Not that I'm aware of, but it sounds like it's going to crack my windshield eventually. It makes me curse violently when it happens. I need it gone.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #13
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Interesting.. I been thinking my fronts are junk regarding the OEM parts. I been leaning towards going coilovers for endless options of heights and soft to hard etc. after seeing your post Bill I definitely gotta get a different set up. Good luck with your choice. Looking forward to seeing what you end up going with and your feedback following.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #14
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Oh check the 4 bolts too that hold the electric steering to the frame. Mine made noise and I found those loose. Tighten those 4 bolts and took care of noise I was hearing. Funny thing is it did not sound like anything to do with those bolts and more with the suspension. But after looking things over twice it was the 4 bolts holding the electric steering rack to the frame. Just something to check to maybe help process of eliminating sounds.