Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
ZL1 fish tailing on the big end.

Anyone else experiencing the ZL1 sort of fish tailing at high speeds. Seems any variation in the steering wheel it wants to over compensate and it's pretty scary to get back in line.

I experienced this on my 1st road trip when passing someone on a two lane road. Not WOT or anything just a normal pass at 60+ mpg. The person behind me even mentioned later that my back end got a bit squirly and I blamed it on uneven pavement which is was uneven. But that's what seems to kick it in to being unstable. Any slight change in the steering wheel. I can't even stay in one lane because trying to get back in my lane would cause over correction and just get worse.

So this trip was to the drag strip and I noticed right off on the big end of the track it was very unstable and un-nerving at the same time. Seemed like I could get out of control very easily. Of course I tried all different modes and all the same.

Fast forward a couple months until now and getting ready for the Fest. I hadn't thought a lot about it until I got some drag radials put on my 18" Weld wheels and tried them out. It seemed to be even worse.. so much so that I doubt I'll even make a run on the drag strip unless I can figure this thing out. DRs are back off and just bringing stock tires/wheels now. Not even going to mess with it and will be too busy anyway.

My thoughts are something in the suspension is loose and soon as a variation in the pavement or adjustment in steering happens it starts to get out of control. I'll have Pete take a look at the fest but not holding my breath that anything can be fixed at that point.

Also, when at the Drag strip in April I sort of wrote it off to the feel of eLSD kicking in and this could also be the case. If so, not good because is scary as hell. The safest way to reproduce seems to be around 65 mph and move the steering wheel back and forth. It doesn't take much to feel completely out of control. Again, I've turned all nannies off, tried different sport modes. Gone just straight sport or tour and no difference.

Just wondering if any one else experienced this.

Additional Threads with the same experience...
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481735

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523713

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=46

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540843

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504671

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546755

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575097

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576545

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=11331481

Old 07-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
bucknut2006

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10, 2015 C7 Z51
Sounds like something is wrong with your car. I have been to the drag strip and made multiple runs and a few high speed runs when visiting "Mexico". I feel that my ZL1 is more confidence inspiring than my Corvette at any speed or acceleration.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
I've been on plenty of highway trips and moved in and out of traffic at 65 mph and above. I've also run 3 times on the track and not noticed anything like this at all. I have to have my car out on Monday and I will take it on the highway and see if I can experience anything like this. I know there have been issues with the sway bar links. Did you double check those and make sure everything is as it should be?
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I havent had mine that long, but I did a hard pull the other day. And the car pulled left of center like I had planned on it. It felt like the posi, was not locking up like it should, if that makes any sense. So far its not as rock solid, on hard accells as my Gen5 ZL1.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Mike, I'm not experiencing anything like this with my car. I passed a few cars on several two lane country roads on the 4th of July and my car felt rock solid up to speeds in the 80's. I drive 99% of the time in Sport mode with all the nannies active.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #6

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Definitely get it up on a rack and take a look....Worn out or bad bushings of some kind would be my guess....Get under it and start shaking it up....Compare side to side....Push and pull on the wheels to check axle play....Have someone follow behind you to see how it tracks....

No stablilitrac light?.....

Pete should be able to diagnose, if you can't find anything...Good luck and be careful.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
I don’t feel what you’re describing every time, but on at least 3 occasions I’ve noticed the back end feeling “loose” and a bit out of control while passing. Never felt that on any of my Corvettes and never on the 2015 1LE I just sold.

All 3 times I’ve attributed it to road condition, but not positive that was what it was. All 3 times were under fairly heavy acceleration and occurred between 60-90 mph. Definitely was not wheel spin in any case. Twice my wife remarked "this thing feels like it's getting out of control".

I’ve wondered it it’s an anomaly in the E-lsd and frankly somewhat worried about taking it to the Texas Mile this October where I expect to reach speeds of 175 or more.

Will definitely be following this thread to see if we can learn anything.

P.S. You're welcome to meet with me and drive mine to see if it feels the same or different than yours if that would help.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Do you think it has anything to do with the little bit of mods recently added?? I would think you would have noticed this early on...when did the excessive squirrelliness start??

I've always noticed a bit of the tailing but not to the point that caused me any concerns...I'm planning on taking her out for a cruise tomorrow & will try the 60mph test on different surfaces & let you know.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknut2006 View Post
Sounds like something is wrong with your car. I have been to the drag strip and made multiple runs and a few high speed runs when visiting "Mexico". I feel that my ZL1 is more confidence inspiring than my Corvette at any speed or acceleration.
I'm definitely thinking that too. I've done a lot of driving on the drag strip and used to keeping the pedal to the floor and driving through some stuff but this is too much and I'm going to end up in the wall if I don't figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
I've been on plenty of highway trips and moved in and out of traffic at 65 mph and above. I've also run 3 times on the track and not noticed anything like this at all. I have to have my car out on Monday and I will take it on the highway and see if I can experience anything like this. I know there have been issues with the sway bar links. Did you double check those and make sure everything is as it should be?
I had it up while swapping tires and gave it a close look and shake down of things I could get my hands on. Put tires on and did the same while I had it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Definitely get it up on a rack and take a look....Worn out or bad bushings of some kind would be my guess....Get under it and start shaking it up....Compare side to side....Push and pull on the wheels to check axle play....Have someone follow behind you to see how it tracks....

No stablilitrac light?.....

Pete should be able to diagnose, if you can't find anything...Good luck and be careful.
No lights ever and do need to get on a rack. Something is up for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I don’t feel what you’re describing every time, but on at least 3 occasions I’ve noticed the back end feeling “loose” and a bit out of control while passing. Never felt that on any of my Corvettes and never on the 2015 1LE I just sold.

All 3 times I’ve attributed it to road condition, but not positive that was what it was. All 3 times were under fairly heavy acceleration and occurred between 60-90 mph. Definitely was not wheel spin in any case. Twice my wife remarked "this thing feels like it's getting out of control".

I’ve wondered it it’s an anomaly in the E-lsd and frankly somewhat worried about taking it to the Texas Mile this October where I expect to reach speeds of 175 or more.

Will definitely be following this thread to see if we can learn anything.

P.S. You're welcome to meet with me and drive mine to see if it feels the same or different than yours if that would help.
That's sounds the same and road conditions were my 1st thought. I'm slammed right now getting ready for the fest but if I don't have something lined out we can meet up. In fact we will meet up anyway. Time for dinner very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Do you think it has anything to do with the little bit of mods recently added?? I would think you would have noticed this early on...when did the excessive squirrelliness start??

I've always noticed a bit of the tailing but not to the point that caused me any concerns...I'm planning on taking her out for a cruise tomorrow & will try the 60mph test on different surfaces & let you know.
I have no mods except tail lights, radiator overflow and CAI. Other stuff still in the box.

I did notice it early on. The trip I was talking about was to San Antonio with you.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
Zl1steve

Drives: Zl1
Ive been 170 in mine and it is smooth as glass.
Zl1steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I'll let you know what transpires over the weekend...I have always noticed some tailing when it's floored, but just assumed it was the nannies keeping it from actually 'getting ugly'??

Never felt unnerved or out of control, but didn't do it passing cars vs being alone on stretches of roads where you can see the horizons & all to yourself...I can see the concern with neighbors next to you. Kinda got my interest perked.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1steve View Post
Ive been 170 in mine and it is smooth as glass.
The way it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I'll let you know what transpires over the weekend...I have always noticed some tailing when it's floored, but just assumed it was the nannies keeping it from actually 'getting ugly'??

Never felt unnerved or out of control, but didn't do it passing cars vs being alone on stretches of roads where you can see the horizons & all to yourself...I can see the concern with neighbors next to you. Kinda got my interest perked.
No I have brand new 3 lane wide roads to test on and just timing some 0-60 runs. I did have a little shorter tire on with the drag radials but only .4 shorter than front with no lights or anything. Put the stockers back on and will play a little more. May see what the GM guys have to add at the Fest next week.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #13
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I'd check the alignment. Particularly the rear toe. I had a similar issue on my gen5. It was a toe eccentric that was loose enough to drift under load. Might not be it but easy to check.
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
USP45

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I have noticed mine get just a little tail happy when pulling out to pass and getting on it pretty hard, but nothing like what you are describing. I agree with Artos, feels more like nannies stepping in (or maybe eLSD?) even though the stabilitrak light does not illuminate that I have noticed. Then again I am not really looking down at instrument cluster to see it come on when passing like that either...
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote