Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
max pl

Drives: BMW M3
Equipment questions for tracking this car.

1. Whats the smallest I can go for wheels? Right now I run 18's on my car because of the largest selection of tires and because theyre cheaper.

2. How good is the TC system in adapting to a square setup vs staggered? Right now if I want to run square I have to turn of TC completely or else I get far too much intervention.
I know Chevy and Porsche have much better TC systems than BMW so I'd think you can square no problem in any mode.

3. Who are the best known suppliers of cheap/aftermarket wheels for the Camaro? I'm looking for something cheap at $400/wheel or less.

Thanks
max pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by max pl View Post
1. Whats the smallest I can go for wheels? Right now I run 18's on my car because of the largest selection of tires and because theyre cheaper.

2. How good is the TC system in adapting to a square setup vs staggered? Right now if I want to run square I have to turn of TC completely or else I get far too much intervention.
I know Chevy and Porsche have much better TC systems than BMW so I'd think you can square no problem in any mode.

3. Who are the best known suppliers of cheap/aftermarket wheels for the Camaro? I'm looking for something cheap at $400/wheel or less.

Thanks
cant say anything about 1 or 2 but 3 i wouldnt be using the word cheap when it comes to aftermarket wheels that you will be tracking lol cheap would be mrr but i wouldnt run those on the track you want a nice light weight quality wheel
Old 12-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I assume you are looking for a quality lightweight track wheel for a good price. I see you are coming from the M3 world where that would be something like an Apex wheel.

I'm not sure if there is a Camaro equivalent of something like that. I do believe the bolt pattern is the same, but you could check with Apex to see if they have fitments that are close. Not sure. I see they have Mustang listed as well.

I've just been using the stock 1LE wheels and tires for both HPDE and street. It's actually been kinda nice not having to switch back and forth. But, if you want ton run R comps then you may not have much of a choice
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:

Thanks
The Cadillac ATS-V uses the same brakes as the 1SS 1LE and has 18" wheels. I think that would be the smallest you could run.

PTM is optimized for the stock setup. I don't think anyone has data to know how well it will work when deviating from that. Depending on how much you plan to change, you may be better off just getting a no option 1SS as a starting point so you're not paying for the optimized 1LE hardware and removing it.

With cheap aftermarket wheels, I'd be worried about weight and durability of them. It looked like JDP (sponsor) was tracking with a smaller aftermarket wheel setup, so you might look into what they were running.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Re: wheels. The best it gets is having both JWL and VIA certifications. The irony is most wheels that have passed those certifications rarely advertise it.

e.g. Tire Rack is usually very good at stocking such wheels, and they often post pictures large enough to see the cert marks in the wheel.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
max pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
I assume you are looking for a quality lightweight track wheel for a good price. I see you are coming from the M3 world where that would be something like an Apex wheel.

I'm not sure if there is a Camaro equivalent of something like that. I do believe the bolt pattern is the same, but you could check with Apex to see if they have fitments that are close. Not sure. I see they have Mustang listed as well.

I've just been using the stock 1LE wheels and tires for both HPDE and street. It's actually been kinda nice not having to switch back and forth. But, if you want ton run R comps then you may not have much of a choice
Precisely. I'm looking for the Apex equivalent. I actually have a set of Apex 18x10 and 18x11s on order now for the M3 but am debating whether to jump to the 1LE. $1300 for four high quality flowformed wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The Cadillac ATS-V uses the same brakes as the 1SS 1LE and has 18" wheels. I think that would be the smallest you could run.

PTM is optimized for the stock setup. I don't think anyone has data to know how well it will work when deviating from that. Depending on how much you plan to change, you may be better off just getting a no option 1SS as a starting point so you're not paying for the optimized 1LE hardware and removing it.

With cheap aftermarket wheels, I'd be worried about weight and durability of them. It looked like JDP (sponsor) was tracking with a smaller aftermarket wheel setup, so you might look into what they were running.
Well I'd be going 1LE definitely so if going squared doesnt work, I'd just get a staggered track setup. Since I plan to run NT01s at the track, I can't just put those on the stock wheels and also run them as a daily. Some people do, but most dont recommend it.

Last edited by max pl; 12-11-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The m3 wheels may fit on the camaro - same bolt pattern, but may need to use splined lugs. I had 18" vb3 winter wheel setup and they fit on there over the calipers, but the wells for the lugs were far too small for the stock lugs. I ended up not using them and ordering snow tires for the stock rims.. Also, 18" wheels on this car look really stupid, but it was worth a try.

ps I went from a e92m3 to a ss recently too. Welcome to the gang! Looks like we have at least 4 converts on here.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
max pl

I'm in a F80 M3 actually and haven't actually converted yet. I have to test drive one, likely in the spring when i can push it, to see if its worth moving to the camaro.

Just doing research for now as I've had the F80 for 2 years now and am looking for more track performance. Want to stop paying for track insurance so I'm looking to get into a cheaper car like the 1LE.

Anyhow, thanks for the post. Will never run 18s on the Camaro after seeing those photos. LOL. Kinda sucks actually. Means track costs will be higher as 19" and 20" tires are considerably more money and not offered in as many sizes.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
IrishCoffee

Quote:
I'm in a F80 M3 actually and haven't actually converted yet. I have to test drive one, likely in the spring when i can push it, to see if its worth moving to the camaro.

Just doing research for now as I've had the F80 for 2 years now and am looking for more track performance. Want to stop paying for track insurance so I'm looking to get into a cheaper car like the 1LE.

Anyhow, thanks for the post. Will never run 18s on the Camaro after seeing those photos. LOL. Kinda sucks actually. Means track costs will be higher as 19" and 20" tires are considerably more money and not offered in as many sizes.
RS3 are bing made in 19 and 20 inch 305s now. You could always go tom sport cup, but man are those pricey. My assumption is that with the new 1LE a 305 square setup would be ideal. Maybe on a 10.5. Not sure about the offsets.

I came from an E92 and didn't regret the switch. The M3 parts were way more expensive in general. I really grew to like the Camaro and definitely found it more fun on track because it felt a little more raw and loud. I do miss the high revving motor, but you don't really have that with the F80 anyway.

The new 1LE will be outperforming the F8X M3/4 in all ways. The 1SS already is right on par with the F80.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #10
IrishCoffee

Just noticed that they are making the Nt01 in 19 and 20 inch sizes now too. 285, 305, 315.

315 square on 11s would be intense! Not sure if it would fit the front
Old 12-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
May I suggest actually tracking the car in its stock configuration before you go changing things. This will give you a baseline to see if you're actually making an improvement or not. You may find a square setup is not needed. Talking to one of the design engineers for this car he stated they were running a staggered setup because it gave better turn in and steering response (in conjunction with the eLSD. This is a key component).

The PTM is very good in these cars and they are also designed around a certain standard in tire. Going to a cheap wheel is not only dangerous but also undermines the integrity of the system. The car comes with forged rims. I know 20" rims may not be ideal comparatively but it seems to becoming the new norm for sports cars. Tire selection should follow the trend.

Last edited by Iron Oak; 12-11-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
max pl

maybe i should have been clearer and said cheapest quality wheels.

as has been mentioned, there is a company out there making high quality cheap wheels for BMWs so I dont see why we can't have the same for Chevrolet. everyone says parts are cheaper after all...
Old 12-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
maybe i should have been clearer and said cheapest quality wheels.

as has been mentioned, there is a company out there making high quality cheap wheels for BMWs so I dont see why we can't have the same for Chevrolet. everyone says parts are cheaper after all...
lol again cheaper is not a word to be using with wheels on a near 50k car inexpensive maybe but quality and cheap dont realy go hand in hand hre flowform wheels run around 3200$ retail and i would reccomend those because 1 i have them on my car and two they are a quality durable wheel you can daily drive on and also track on
Old 12-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #14
max pl

do you track them?