Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Well, the LT5 is now confirmed a thing....

Got an email from GM last night about the new ZR1 Corvette and it's new 755 hp LT5 engine...maybe there's hope for a Z/28 someday....
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
My personal opinion is that if they make a Z/28, I hope it has a high reving N/A engine in it, not the LT5. Hell, throw a slightly reworked LS7 in it and give it the ZL1LE wheels, aero, and a little diet. (It’ll never happen but I would be ok with that.)
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Al O already said the Z/28 is an n/a car. If, and that is a massive if, there will ever be another Z/28, it won't have the LT5.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Well then sadly I don't think this fabled Z/28 is ever going to happen. GM will never get a NA engine past current and beyond emissions standards that makes enough steam to not be considered "slow" compared to the current crop of forced induction power plants. Sorry, NA is great...but forced induction is the road ahead. If NA truly is the only way forward for the Z/28, I think it died in 2015.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Al O already said the Z/28 is an n/a car. If, and that is a massive if, there will ever be another Z/28, it won't have the LT5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
Well then sadly I don't think this fabled Z/28 is ever going to happen. GM will never get a NA engine past current and beyond emissions standards that makes enough steam to not be considered "slow" compared to the current crop of forced induction power plants. Sorry, NA is great...but forced induction is the road ahead. If NA truly is the only way forward for the Z/28, I think it died in 2015.
Or...DOHC, high-revving.

The emissions question really is a matter of startup emissions. And the big-displacement engines can't hack it on cold startup.

Smaller displacement engines can....but you lose the power figure...so, the solution there is individual cam-phasing, and higher revs to make up the gap in power...but you're going to end up with a lower-torque engine, like the Voodoo V8 in the GT350, or any number of European engines.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Or...DOHC, high-revving.

The emissions question really is a matter of startup emissions. And the big-displacement engines can't hack it on cold startup.

Smaller displacement engines can....but you lose the power figure...so, the solution there is individual cam-phasing, and higher revs to make up the gap in power...but you're going to end up with a lower-torque engine, like the Voodoo V8 in the GT350, or any number of European engines.
+1, think 4 valve DOHC 8500 RPM redline and 850HP we have the best of times for gear heads, from now till 2022 there are some good motors coming out.

Z/28 will fallow the last gen, with more power and a new DCT TRANS, power will come from a N.A. motor.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
I still think the Z28 name is too important to just leave on the sidelines. Perhaps we get a preview of the NA motor from the C8 Corvette. I still think we see something when the car is refreshed. They have boxed themselves into a pretty good corner though. The SS 1LE is pretty close to what you might expect a Z28 to be. The ZL1 1LE is so extreme that it sets a high bar if the Z/28 has to out perform it. I don't believe it will get the LT5 though. I doubt the ZL1 gets the LT5 either. I think that one is Corvette only.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
He did say that, and it's out there for everyone to see. However, he was talking about a non existent car. So, really, anything still goes, and let's face it, if we want a Z/28 to have serious power, in today's environment, it's going to have to be force fed. It's really the only way to get the high numbers you want and low numbers you're required to have at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
I still think the Z28 name is too important to just leave on the sidelines. Perhaps we get a preview of the NA motor from the C8 Corvette. I still think we see something when the car is refreshed. They have boxed themselves into a pretty good corner though. The SS 1LE is pretty close to what you might expect a Z28 to be. The ZL1 1LE is so extreme that it sets a high bar if the Z/28 has to out perform it. I don't believe it will get the LT5 though. I doubt the ZL1 gets the LT5 either. I think that one is Corvette only.
I agree that the last gen Z/28 boxed them in somewhat. I see where they now have two possible options for the Z/28.

First is putting the LT5 in the ZL1 1LE chassis. Doing this and maybe adding a couple of other goodies like standard CC brakes and such, would make it the top dog in the line up.

The second option is to put the LT1 in the ZL1 1LE chassis. Having the DSSV, the A10 available, and the body panels, would be enough to distinguish from the SS 1LE. This would also keep Big Al from being a liar and the Z/28 remain N/A.

Interesting note about the LT5 is that it has combines direct injection with port injection. In this case, for the purpose of adding the fuel needed to run 13lb boost to keep the engine fed, but it will also help keep valve coking in check. Also have not read anything yet that the LT5 has AFM.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
The Z/28 does not have to outperform the ZL1 1LE, that was a pedestal that the 5th gen car created. The 5th gen car, put this thought in people heads that a Z/28 has to be the end all when it comes to Camaro performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post

The second option is to put the LT1 in the ZL1 1LE chassis. Having the DSSV, the A10 available, and the body panels, would be enough to distinguish from the SS 1LE.
Hot LT-1 in a ZL1 1LE Chassis would tick all the boxes for what many would consider a proper Z/28. It would be a serious track package, it would be the fastest N/A powered camaro, and it would be one hell of a package. Price wise would probably slot in between SS 1LE and ZL1
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The Z/28 does not have to outperform the ZL1 1LE, that was a pedestal that the 5th gen car created. The 5th gen car, put this thought in people heads that a Z/28 has to be the end all when it comes to Camaro performance.

Hot LT-1 in a ZL1 1LE Chassis would tick all the boxes for what many would consider a proper Z/28. It would be a serious track package, it would be the fastest N/A powered camaro, and it would be one hell of a package. Price wise would probably slot in between SS 1LE and ZL1
I would be very interested to see someone put a ZL1 front end, wheels/tires, 6-pot brake upgrade, DSSV suspension, and aero on a 1SS.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I would be very interested to see someone put a ZL1 front end, wheels/tires, 6-pot brake upgrade, DSSV suspension, and aero on a 1SS.
Personally I think that would be the perfect 6th Gen Z/28. Look how good the SS 1LE is, pretty much the 5th gen Z's equal in some aspects. Add that stuff to a SS 1LE and I think you would have one hell of a track pack
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Personally I think that would be the perfect 6th Gen Z/28. Look how good the SS 1LE is, pretty much the 5th gen Z's equal in some aspects. Add that stuff to a SS 1LE and I think you would have one hell of a track pack
Yes...the LT4 is a joy, though. Spins so quickly and freely...torque everywhere.

One of the common observations of the Z/28 was how it feels like it runs out of steam at the high end. Essentially the suspension and brakes outperform the engine. I would think the hypothetical thing we're discussing would suffer from the same sort of characteristic...
Old 11-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
This may be closer to a reality than you think.

After the SEMA show I had read that the Chevrolet Performance team is looking into possibly making a conversion kit to put the ZL1 1LE front end (bumper, fenders, hood) onto SS Camaro's. The DSSV suspension is already announced that it will be coming and as far as brakes go if I were to upgrade brakes on a 6th gen 1LE I'd just skip the OEM stuff and go right to Essex/AP Racing. It will save weight over OEM stuff and outperform it.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #14
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
This may be closer to a reality than you think.

After the SEMA show I had read that the Chevrolet Performance team is looking into possibly making a conversion kit to put the ZL1 1LE front end (bumper, fenders, hood) onto SS Camaro's. The DSSV suspension is already announced that it will be coming and as far as brakes go if I were to upgrade brakes on a 6th gen 1LE I'd just skip the OEM stuff and go right to Essex/AP Racing. It will save weight over OEM stuff and outperform it.
I don't even need the whole front end. I just wish someone would make wider front fender that look like the ZL1 but mate up to the SS hood and bumpers. But the front end would be pretty cool.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote