The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 10-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Are there any plans to offer the 302 version of the LT1 engine as regular production

I saw this little piece in the recent Speedville newsletter where the 2018 COPO was discussed.

Quote:
The new 302 racing engine is based on the LT1 engine offered in the 2018 Camaro SS, but built for drag racing with unique components. Its displacement derives from a shorter-stroke crankshaft than the production engine that enables exceptional high-rpm capability.
Will a detuned version ever see fitment in regular production, either as the base SS engine or as some sort of optionally-available choice (not necessarily RPO)?

Norm
Old 10-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I saw this as well and was wondering the same thing. Although I was wondering how much HP a de-stroked LT1 could really make even if it can spin to 8,200 RPM to match the Voo Do 5.0L Ford engine. RPM's alone doesn't make HP. You still need to make torque at that RPM in order to make HP.

And I was also wondering how sluggish an engine like a 302 would feel in the lower RPM range...like say below 4000 rpms.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
If so, it would be PERFECT for a Z/28
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I saw this little piece in the recent Speedville newsletter where the 2018 COPO was discussed.

Will a detuned version ever see fitment in regular production, either as the base SS engine or as some sort of optionally-available choice (not necessarily RPO)?

Norm
Al can't reveal things about future product plans.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That is correct, unfortunately!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not even a hint that a smaller displacement V8 is under consideration, even if that's only to maintain V8 availability for a few more years?

I've found that a high-revving NA engine can be more than a match for a turbo-4 of similar displacement (with ~60% more torque and peak HP once the boost is all-in) when the revs are below the point where boost is being made (typically something like 2000 rpm). At least when a manual transmission is fitted. This would go to daily drivability; displacement and revs would address the performance side.

Norm
Old 10-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Not even a hint that a smaller displacement V8 is under consideration, even if that's only to maintain V8 availability for a few more years?

I've found that a high-revving NA engine can be more than a match for a turbo-4 of similar displacement (with ~60% more torque and peak HP once the boost is all-in) when the revs are below the point where boost is being made (typically something like 2000 rpm). At least when a manual transmission is fitted. This would go to daily drivability; displacement and revs would address the performance side.

Norm
Think of it like this ...

From GM's perspective, what is more important: the public knowing what they're developing for the Camaro; OR Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Kia and every other automaker not knowing what they're working on?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote