Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
Update:

Did a track day at Dominion Raceway in VA on 9/17. I wouldn't say this is a particularly harsh track on brakes, but there is a ~140 - 70 braking zone off the front straight. Very little traffic for this event.

Ambient temp 83° F. Results shown after last session of the day and 1 cool down lap. Track runs counter clockwise.

Track map for reference.

Front tires, DS and PS
Attachment 897832Attachment 897833

Rear tires DS and PS
Attachment 897834Attachment 897835

Front brakes DS and PS
Attachment 897836Attachment 897837

Rear brakes DS and PS
Attachment 897838Attachment 897839
Awesome pics and tool. Can you share what model of their camera you were using? I see they have a tool you can buy to attach to your cell phone that is supposed to use your phone camera and turn it into an IR camera. I'm not sure how accurate that version would be compared to one of their higher end versions. But the cell phone tools even for the "Pro" version is only $399 which doesn't really seem too bad for all the data it could provide.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #16
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Awesome pics and tool. Can you share what model of their camera you were using? I see they have a tool you can buy to attach to your cell phone that is supposed to use your phone camera and turn it into an IR camera. I'm not sure how accurate that version would be compared to one of their higher end versions. But the cell phone tools even for the "Pro" version is only $399 which doesn't really seem too bad for all the data it could provide.
Thanks, I'm using an E4. I haven't messed with the cell phone attachments, so I can't speak to them.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
Nick S

Quote:
Thanks, I'm using an E4. I haven't messed with the cell phone attachments, so I can't speak to them.
Looking at the specs on the Flir website it shows the max temperature for the E4 is 482deg F. I believe some of your latest pictures showed temps above 500deg. Are there different calibration ranges for the E4 model?

Interestingly enough the cell phone adapter specs say they will go up to over 700deg.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
RXtacy

Quote:
Looking at the specs on the Flir website it shows the max temperature for the E4 is 482deg F. I believe some of your latest pictures showed temps above 500deg. Are there different calibration ranges for the E4 model?

Interestingly enough the cell phone adapter specs say they will go up to over 700deg.
I'm not a thermal imaging expert so take this with a grain of salt
I think the specified range corresponds to the accuracy specification. Outside of that range I imagine the measuring resolution, and therefore the accuracy are lower as the sensor becomes washed out.

That being said emissivity can also affect the measurements. That being the case I wouldn't use the rotor images as a end all measurement, but use it more qualitatively. IE do I see any hot spots on the rotor or caliper that could indicate an issue etc.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #19
Nick S

Quote:
I'm not a thermal imaging expert so take this with a grain of salt
I think the specified range corresponds to the accuracy specification. Outside of that range I imagine the measuring resolution, and therefore the accuracy are lower as the sensor becomes washed out.

That being said emissivity can also affect the measurements. That being the case I wouldn't use the rotor images as a end all measurement, but use it more qualitatively. IE do I see any hot spots on the rotor or caliper that could indicate an issue etc.
No problem. I'm not a thermal imaging expert either. I can see what you are saying about being "washed" out though. Your higher temp regions on your pics actually do look a little washed out like you say and just kind of appears as a bright spot with no real color to it. So what you are saying makes sense. Thanks for the info. I'll need to read up more on the cell phone adapter version but for the pro version it's only $399 so price doesnt seem too unreasonable if it is fairly accurate and repeatable.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
RXtacy

Quote:
No problem. I'm not a thermal imaging expert either. I can see what you are saying about being "washed" out though. Your higher temp regions on your pics actually do look a little washed out like you say and just kind of appears as a bright spot with no real color to it. So what you are saying makes sense. Thanks for the info. I'll need to read up more on the cell phone adapter version but for the pro version it's only $399 so price doesnt seem too unreasonable if it is fairly accurate and repeatable.
If you end up with one please post your results! It would be cool to be able to compare.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #21
Nick S

Quote:
If you end up with one please post your results! It would be cool to be able to compare.
I definitely will if I end up getting one. Will need to research more first. And my track season is less than a month away from ending for this year.

Last edited by Nick S; 09-22-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #22
lpe403

Drives: None
It's good to see that the airbox and ducting remained cool depsite the hot engine
lpe403 is offline   Reply With Quote