#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol again cheaper is not a word to be using with wheels on a near 50k car inexpensive maybe but quality and cheap dont realy go hand in hand hre flowform wheels run around 3200$ retail and i would reccomend those because 1 i have them on my car and two they are a quality durable wheel you can daily drive on and also track on
HRE Flow Form wheels are cast wheels. They are not forged as far as I know. They are quite expensive for what they are. Don't get me wrong, HRE wheels are beautiful, but they aren't inexpensive. I'm not sure that I would choose them for a dedicated track wheel as it wouldn't be economical.

APEX wheels for example are also lightweight flow formed wheels that are less expensive. You can get a set of high quality wheels that are light and strong for around $1200. They are a good looking wheel.

I know where the OP is coming from with the experience from the M3 world where APEX are the standard in this segment.

Unfortunately I don't know the equivagent in the Camaro world because I've been using the stock wheels.

As another member mentioned I would suggest asking JDP or one of the other known vendors who track cars regulary in the Camaro market.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #16
max pl

Drives: BMW M3
thanks for writing that up. people really dont seem to understand what Apex offers.

also, forged HRE wheels are like $1.5 to $2k each and are more for the poser/instagram crowd, and not at all for the track minded. i've never seen anyone run them at the track.

i've got til spring to continue to research and look for options. i'll PM the members you suggest and likely also reach out to Apex to see if their wheels fit these cars.
max pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Most companies that do wheels for the Camaro are for show only since few actually track the car. Those that do, commonly go with Forgeline, which start around $4k for a set.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:49 AM   #18
chandretti15

Drives: 2015 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
May I suggest actually tracking the car in its stock configuration before you go changing things. This will give you a baseline to see if you're actually making an improvement or not. You may find a square setup is not needed. Talking to one of the design engineers for this car he stated they were running a staggered setup because it gave better turn in and steering response (in conjunction with the eLSD. This is a key component).

The PTM is very good in these cars and they are also designed around a certain standard in tire. Going to a cheap wheel is not only dangerous but also undermines the integrity of the system. The car comes with forged rims. I know 20" rims may not be ideal comparatively but it seems to becoming the new norm for sports cars. Tire selection should follow the trend.
I totally agree with the above quote. Just change out your brake fluid to DOT 4 (Motul or Castrol SRF) and take it out to the track to see its capabilities as the factory designed it. I did that with my '15 1LE and was amazed at its capabilities on the track. I'm only using about 1/2 of what the car is capable of. An instructor friend of my (who set the track record in his racing class) drove me in my car and showed me what it really could do. Save your money for tires, brake pads and track time.

Last edited by chandretti15; 12-12-2016 at 01:01 AM.
chandretti15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 AM   #19
HyperBlue

Drives: 2011 MB E350 wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
May I suggest actually tracking the car in its stock configuration before you go changing things.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^ 100%
Old 12-12-2016, 04:51 AM   #20
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
JDP and many other competitors use Forgeline rims. Not exactly inexpensive but some really nice high quality, race proven wheels.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #21
IrishCoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandretti15 View Post
I totally agree with the above quote. Just change out your brake fluid to DOT 4 (Motul or Castrol SRF) and take it out to the track to see its capabilities as the factory designed it. I did that with my '15 1LE and was amazed at its capabilities on the track. I'm only using about 1/2 of what the car is capable of. An instructor friend of my (who set the track record in his racing class) drove me in my car and showed me what it really could do. Save your money for tires, brake pads and track time.
I would agree that fluid is first, followed by pads. But if the OP is an advanced driver and wants to use R Comp tires then having a dedicated set of track wheels is required. Whether those be a different set of track wheels or another set of stock wheels. The problem with the stock wheels is the cost of tires in a 20 inch wheel. Hence the thread.

I agree that for a vast majority of people the car is fine in stock form with fluid, but if you've been trackino for many years you are going to want different tires and likely wheels. They get beat up badly.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #22
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I will be tracking with pretty much stock setup except pads, rotors, Dot 4 brake fluid and 0w-40 Mobil 1 oil and of course I will be maxing out the camber. I think the car is already great in stock form and I can use that as a baseline/reference.

I will eventually get a lighter wheel/tire combo with a bit more aggressive tires (probably NT01s)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by max pl View Post
also, forged HRE wheels are like $1.5 to $2k each and are more for the poser/instagram crowd, and not at all for the track minded. i've never seen anyone run them at the track.
Rhys Millen would disagree:

Team TGM would disagree as well:

So would Team HPA:

So would Fall-Line Motorsports:

So would Rum-Bum Racing:

So would Vaughn Gittin Jr:

So would most Underground Racing Twin Turbo cars that can eclipse 245MPH. Feel free to check the videos below if you need proof.

I would highly recommend you do your research before making a claim like that Max. Welcome to the forum as well, I see you're new here

HRE uses the highest quality materials and processes throughout each moment of the wheel's inception. From design processes, to FEA analysis, to TUV Testing and certification as well. Sure, this leads to a more expensive wheel that not everyone can afford, we understand this (another reason why FlowForm wheels are available), but does that mean we should make a less well made wheel so we can price it lower? Of course not! We're trying to lead the way with new developments, new designs, and we're always trying to apply ourselves to make the next great wheel series.

If you have ANY questions whatsoever, please don't hesitate to ask. I would like to clear any incorrect assumptions or misconceptions about HRE, so please, feel free to ask me, I'm an open book

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
HRE Flow Form wheels are cast wheels. They are not forged as far as I know. They are quite expensive for what they are. Don't get me wrong, HRE wheels are beautiful, but they aren't inexpensive. I'm not sure that I would choose them for a dedicated track wheel as it wouldn't be economical.
Any FlowForm, Rotary Forged, Flow Forged, Spun Cast, wheel (Yes those are all the same processes just with different names), will be a cast wheel which is then formed to have a barrel which has a similar strength/weight to a forged wheel. Since the wheel starts out as a cast wheel, it's never truly forged, but this does not mean that it's a bad track wheel. What you're getting essentially is a semi-forged wheel at a significant discount. Forged wheels can be pricey of course, but you have a good opportunity to use a set of high strength, low weight FlowForm wheels at a considerable discount compared to the Forged wheels, and not only that but you can get it at a 25% discount right now due to our Holiday sale!

My apologizes for the significantly long post.

Last edited by FlowForm_Wheels; 12-13-2016 at 12:06 PM.
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #24
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
do you track them?
i will be tracking my car next year yes sir!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #25
max pl

Drives: BMW M3
FlowForm, thanks for showing me the various multi million dollar teams that run your expensive wheels.

Definitely proved me wrong.
max pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #26
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
FlowForm, thanks for showing me the various multi million dollar teams that run your expensive wheels.

lol this is my buddys camaro 16 ss at roval aka fontana on hre flowform wheels same ones as me

Old 12-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #27
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Quote:

No problem at all Max! Always looking to help out and educate where I can
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #28
IrishCoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol this is my buddys camaro 16 ss at roval aka fontana on hre flowform wheels same ones as me
Gotta love the AAA ROVAL

Last edited by IrishCoffee; 12-13-2016 at 03:17 PM.