Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #1
Z288racer

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
Camaro Z28 Rear seat Question

I removed the rear seat and the back cushion, which turned to be fairly easy task. The primary purpose it to be able to carry another set of wheels to the track so I can really use these tires to their full useful life.

The back cushion swivels over a structural part that is attached on either side and in the center and provides support for the seat belt center attachment points and optional child seat.

I ran across the following in Automobile Magazine: "Interestingly, the Z/28 retains a rear seat because the car is lighter with one than without. “The rear seat is part of the structure, so when you remove it you have to compensate with bracing,” says Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “You can easily end up with a car that’s heavier than it was when you started.”

Looking at the area where the seat was, I see no reason to add additional bracing but than I am no expert in this area.

Anyone knows more on this topic?

I am attaching 2 pictures showing how clean the are is after the seat removal, and the back cushion with the structural bracket

PS: The rear seat weight (bottom and back cushion including the seat bracket weighs 27 lbs.

Attached Images

Z288racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Make yourself a copy of the seat bracket out of round aluminum stock or something similar and call it the day...
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I find GMs claim interesting as well. Supposedly the seat cushioning is lighter but I don't see a difference in the rear seat structuring as apposed to any other gen 5. I believe others with varying models were also coming up with the same weight for the rear seat.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
If the Z28 seat is like the other 5th Gens, I don't see how the upper and lower cushions can be considered structural support. Now on the other hand, the bracket you unbolted and removed, that can certainly be structural support since it spans a good portion of the width of the car and could stiffen the sheet metal shown in your picture. I agree with Olblue75 and make something lighter, but bolt it into the same place as the original steel bracket.

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mySSt View Post
If the Z28 seat is like the other 5th Gens, I don't see how the upper and lower cushions can be considered structural support. Now on the other hand, the bracket you unbolted and removed, that can certainly be structural support since it spans a good portion of the width of the car and could stiffen the sheet metal shown in your picture. I agree with Olblue75 and make something lighter, but bolt it into the same place as the original steel bracket.
Agree with that right there. Seems like a dual purpose piece if you ask me. For the seats and the chassis.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I'm not going with the answer given.

If it is indeed a support for the car to reduce flexing wouldn't it would need to be connected to the shock mount areas to provide stability to reduce flexing. If you remove the rear seat as I have done in my ZL1 wouldn't I hear creaking from having removed the piece? The "chassis brace" concept but in reality not needed.

I would equate his statement to the possible actual usage of the back seats by passengers and provide support to the floorboard with added weight in that specific area. That area is reinforced on the sides to begin with. Remember the Gen 5 chassis photos with explanation of materials used and reinforcement.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Z288racer

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
Thank you for the replies. For now I installed the structural bar back. It does look as though it provided multiple purposes: It has the hinges for the back cushion, it provides structural support for the seat belts and possible it ties the 2 sides of the car together. Once I can see what's below it on the underside of the car, it could reveal if indeed it has car structural purpose.
Z288racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
White_SS/RS

I can't imagine it adding much rigidity to the car. There are some pretty big beams running very close to the same proximity of the seat bracket. At best my thoughts would be it controls some NVH. I think they just wanted to leave the seat in rather than remodel the entire rear upholstery and just told us it was needed for strenght. Who are we to really know better anyway.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Seats cushions can come out. Put the brace back in.

Matt
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Seats cushions can come out. Put the brace back in.

Matt
I'm sure you have some insight on that?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The 5th Gen monocoque is tank like. Check out these pictures of the cut-a-way 5th Gen.

Are you running a harness bar?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 5th Gen monocoque is tank like. Check out these pictures of the cut-a-way 5th Gen.

This is why I still like the 5th gen Camaro....it's built like a tank. Can take a hit and still keep on ticking. Anytime you use lighter materials you are risking the chance of greater damage during a car accident. We'll see what happens with the 6th Gen Camaro....

I guess it comes down to weight vs. performance and risk vs. damage.......
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #13
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Yes, I'm running a harness bar.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Yes, I'm running a harness bar.
Harness bar = structure to replace the seat bracket.

Next question, how many of you are using a HANS device with the harness running through the holes in the factory seat?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote