Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
LOL. I like that...tricking the competition. I was thinking the same...that GM would keep the lid sealed on this one pretty well. However, Saleen is taking a big chance letting this info "slip". I would think he would be wiser than that just letting it out to the public. Yes, he is running a risk of losing out pretty big by letting the info out. Either way, something came out and that pleases me!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #16
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
I think GM's Black Suburbans have been dispatched… :eek:
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I think it is time for GM to release some more (official) information
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #18
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I think it is time for GM to release some more (official) information
Totally agree, and I hope it's before or during SEMA. GM will have 27 cars at SEMA so this would be icing on the cake

I can't stop reading the interview over and over again. It's so nice to be hearing something from someone who has direct contact with the production process of the Camaro and to hear some concrete #'s being thrown around finally!
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #19
PonyTech

Drives: waiting on 5th gen Camaro
Saleem Camaro vs. Saleen Mustangs out on the road = :slice:
PonyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #20
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

OK...That would be just plain wierd. I would like to see what Saleen has to offer. But, I would also like to see what other aftermarket OEM companies might have to offer as well........ I'm sure someone's got to be knocking on GM's door. I would love to see SLP get their foot back in the door and build some SS's or special edition models.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #21
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I sorta see this as a little white lie from saleen. meaning that he doesn't intend to work with GM (I know I could be totally wrong with that but if he does make the 600+hp maro I'll be cool with that). I mean look at the numbers the mustang is putting out around 300 hp right now. isn't that what the camaro was almost putting to the ground in 02? seriously. . .ford has been lacking in the power and saleen knows this. so crossing fingers and hoping ford is listening he tells the press he's going to work with gm and that the top camaro from the factory is going to make 100 hp more then fords lame excuse for a sports car, compared to the maro. so that ford will go oh ok well lets put more power into it. oh well. . .all speculation. . .well just have to wait and see, right?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:39 AM   #22
Al Robinson
RACKM

Drives: 2001 Mazda MilleniaS
I think that if Saleen doesn't get involved,SLP or Lingenfelter will. Plus since Chip Foose got envolved with the Mustang, and knowing his love for cars, plus his redoing a '69 Camaro for last years SEMA show, he will want to get envolved with this one. Probably through Unique Performance.
Al Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Chip Foose already got involved and built the 100K - 150K Goodyear or Goodmark Camaros. It was something like that. I would love to see Chip get involved w/ GM, but doubt it would happen.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #24
Casull

Although I see how the involvment of companies like Saleen, Foose, Lingenfelter are great for the mass appeal of a vehicle, I really don't care if any of them get involved personally. With 450 HP stock, there is little need for a tuner car. I guarantee that it will not take much and we will be able to get this bad boy up to the the 500HP mark easy! Oh how sweet that will be..... a 500 HP Camaro
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 PM   #25
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
The new mustang tuner market is already flooded. I expect the same to happen with the 2009 Camaro.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #26
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
The new mustang tuner market is already flooded. I expect the same to happen with the 2009 Camaro.
I agree. I don't think there will be any shortage of tuners for this car. However, I guess this could be considered a good thing in that it really shows the overwhelming popularity and interest in the car. The real question will be the price point for the stock camaros, which will invariably determine the price of these tuners. If Chevy can't keep the 450HP beast under say $35k+ then i can't really see the tuner versions being worthwhile as they will be rediculously expensive and thus enter a new nitche market above that of the current Saleen mustangs.

Mustang has an advantage in the tuner market that makes it particularly prime for these companies (foose, saleen, etc...). First is it already a relatively cheap car so there is a better margin at which the tuners can resale the cars. Second, it has a pretty weak V-8 as compared to the competition. Thsi makes the tuner market even more appealing for consumers becasue now they can get a rather unique car (ie it has a super cool Saleen sticker in the windshield - yes this is sarcasm) with more power than a GTO/Camaro/Firebird for just a few thousand more than one of these cars.

It just doesn't seem logical (to me anyways) for a tuner to really be interested in the Camaro unles their target customers are looking to buy a $45 - 50k car.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:07 AM   #27
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post

It just doesn't seem logical (to me anyways) for a tuner to really be interested in the Camaro unles their target customers are looking to buy a $45 - 50k car.
There has always and will always be a tuner market for cars like the Camaro, Mustang, Corvette, Viper, etc
Old 10-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #28
OverAnxious

Has anyone seen any confirmation on the validity of this article?