The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes

Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #29
warp7sp

Drives: C7 Z51 manual
Thanks Glen -- I will look into the Nitto Invos. I currently have Conti DWS on the Lexus. The sensation I feel when entering a turn is that the tire is going to roll off the wheel. However, the tire grips the road just fine and I go around the turn. The Conti is quiet and provides a smooth ride. I just don't like the "roll" feel and for this reason I am reluctant to use them on the C7.
warp7sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #30
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
The ride quality of the A/S Michelins is much softer than the factory tire. Chalk that up to the fact they are not run-flats. Any run-flat will by design be much firmer than an equivalent non-run-flat. The A/S tires also handle very well, no sensation of roll that I can detect. Nice feel in the "twisties", but less harsh, even on really poor road surfaces. They also grip a little better on cool pavement, and on wet pavement. They just aren't as grippy at the upper limits seen on the track or autocross course. I may very likely stick with them once the factory tires wear out.

The Nitto Invos are excellent too, as Glen says. A number of friends in my Corvette club are running them on C6 Grand Sports and even a couple of Z06s. I've heard nothing but good comments from them on the Invos.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #31
Qwkvette

Drives: 1966 Corvette 327/350
All Season Tires - Warranty Issues?

I am in the process of ordering a C7 but have been holding back after hearing all of the horror stories about the "Summer Only" tires cracking in cold weather.

My dealer tells me that I can get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, All Season / Run Flat tires (same exact size) installed to replace the original tires. They said that they will handle the "tire swap" and all I have to do is pay Belle Tire the difference in price.

This sounds like an excellent solution to a problem that is affecting all of us located who are located in the northern part of the US or Canada.

My question is.....would this void the new car warranty?
Qwkvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #32
purpleRac3r

Changing tires won't affect the warranty for the rest of the car at all, as long as you keep the sizes the same as the factory tires. The only thing affected would be the tires, and your new ones should have a warranty of their own.

I would be a little surprised if there is a big difference in price. The all-seasons should actually be a little cheaper, so for the most part, you should only be paying for mounting and balancing. It might benefit you to shop the tire prices on your own before having the dealership swap them. Never hurts to be well informed before making the deal!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

Old 07-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #33
Qwkvette

Drives: 1966 Corvette 327/350
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
Changing tires won't affect the warranty for the rest of the car at all, as long as you keep the sizes the same as the factory tires. The only thing affected would be the tires, and your new ones should have a warranty of their own.

I would be a little surprised if there is a big difference in price. The all-seasons should actually be a little cheaper, so for the most part, you should only be paying for mounting and balancing. It might benefit you to shop the tire prices on your own before having the dealership swap them. Never hurts to be well informed before making the deal!
Thanks for the info on the new car warranty.

I was also wondering if the tire shop would consider my oem tires as "used" and would not be able to sell them as new tires. That is the reason I thought that there would be a big difference in the cost of such a tire "swap".
Qwkvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #34
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
I'm hoping they'll make an A/S 3 in run flats by the time I need tires.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #35
purpleRac3r

So far I have about 23000 miles on my factory tires, with plenty of tread left on all 4; it may be a while before you need new ones - depending on driving habits of course! Really, tho, just carry a small tire inflator and a plug kit, and you'll be fine with non-run flats. The inflator will be roughly equal in overall weight to that of the extra weight the run-flats have, and the non-run flats ride much better.