The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #15
lamjoh

Drives: 2015 Torch Red Z51 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamjoh View Post
Just my Name and what car i wanted and options.
Sales tax is really the only issue OHIO collects 6% so if Michigan is 6% you owe Michigan $0 for sales tax. If Michigan is 7% you would owe 1% to Michigan when you title car. In Indiana since the car was from Ohio I had to drive to police station and do a VIN check took 2 minutes. the process is very easy. Call TOM hes in the office 8am on weekdays and Saturday except Thursdays. Tom is a Corvette guy and knows his stuff.
MIKESS

are you doing SUPPLIER DISCOUNT?

(1100) Ordered 09/25/2014
(3000) Accepted by Production 09/30/2014
(3300) Scheduled 10/10/2014
(3400) Broadcast 10/17/2014
(3800) Produced BORN 10/28/2014
(4B00) Bayed 10/29/2014
(4000) Available to ship 10/29/2014
(4200) SHIPPED 11/03/2014
(5000) Delivered 11/04/2014
lamjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
MIKESS

are you doing SUPPLIER DISCOUNT?
yes
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
lamjoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
yes
good deal!

(4B00) Bayed 10/29/2014
Old 03-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #18
mikeSS

Quote:
good deal!
once my local dealership calls me tomorrow (monday) and confirms they cannot fill my order. going to give a few other MI dealerships call, then last case try yours.

thanks for the info again.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #19
Vette Pax

Drives: 1999 C5; 2016 C7 Stingray
This has been an education for sure. We ordered a 2015 C7 1LT about 12 Jan with a dealer upstate who gave us a decent discount. This was before we learned about the allocation system. He placed the order on Jan 15. 7 weeks later it was still in 1100 status (thanks for checking, Becky!). The dealer could not say when he would get an allocation. Since the car is going to be for my much-better half, she decided that she would rather cancel the order and find a dealer who gets frequent allocations and then put a deposit down for a 2016. We spoke to 4 dealers around the country and found a sales rep who is up front about allocations and had yet to receive any other deposits for a '16. So, we have put a deposit down with that rep. It has been a frustrating experience say the least, but we are now optimistic that we will be able to take delivery of a new C-7 at the NCM in August or September.
Vette Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
It is an education for anyone who chooses to order rather than buy off the lot.

The allocation system is not Chevrolet specific nor GM specific. The system is used to distribute vehicles to every Chevrolet (and the rest) dealer in the country. It is legally defendable (an important consideration) and it works. Do I like it? No! Do I understand why we have it? Yes! Do I think it could be made to work in a more retail customer way? Of course I do. AND I do believe it will happen but not this year and maybe not this decade.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #21
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
It is an education for anyone who chooses to order rather than buy off the lot.

The allocation system is not Chevrolet specific nor GM specific. The system is used to distribute vehicles to every Chevrolet (and the rest) dealer in the country. It is legally defendable (an important consideration) and it works. Do I like it? No! Do I understand why we have it? Yes! Do I think it could be made to work in a more retail customer way? Of course I do. AND I do believe it will happen but not this year and maybe not this decade.

Laborsmith
The allocation system causes problems for dealerships also. I had a deposit down at my closest dealership for a vette, then switched over to the 3rd or 4th largest corvette dealership in the US. They get a lot of allocations because i will want order in within this month.

That means that people will keep going to the dealerships who have allocations and those dealerships will also keep the status of getting the most, because people keep buying from them. my local dealership will lose out on sales, like mine.

I think dealerships are the ones who are getting shafted here is my point.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post

I think dealerships are the ones who are getting shafted here is my point.
You are correct......BUT......

and again read my post above...ANY dealer that is getting "shafted" had his chance to get C7's, he just decided not to play per the GM rules...

A good example is Bud's, outside Columbus Ohio in a town as small as it gets....yet he decided to get behind the program, and now has mucho allocations.

Spoiled dealers want them when it's the good times, but not when times are tough, if this was your customer and he did this, what would you do?
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #23
lamjoh

Dealers

Save yourself a lot of GRIEF find a dealer with allocation who can order while your there or over the phone. I agree with Glen e Bud's is where i bought mine because he had allocation and my local dealers did not. I called Bud's ordered my car over the phone (no deposit required) and picked it up 6 weeks later. it can't be much easier than that! Bud's (Tom) also told me about the SUPPLIER DISCOUNT which saved me $7000 on my car. of course i used Becky to update my car because she was online and knows her stuff, but a phone call or email to bud's worked also. Tom also took lots of photo's of my car arriving on the car carrier and while at the dealership. I'm not saying Buds is the only way to go, just be sure your dealer is upfront and has allocation, there are not that many that can produce a car within 6 weeks. things i think helped.

1. bud's had allocation
2. they knows corvettes and how to get them fast!
3. when a carrier truck pulls into their lot it unloads the whole truck. which helps with shipping, so many cars sit "BAYED" waiting on a truck because its the only car dealer is getting and has to wait for other orders from near by dealers to fill truck. Bud's fills the truck, they have a showroom for Corvettes that is probably 20,000 sq ft and has about 30 or more corvettes in it.
4. bud's was a small dealer in a small town, but has the ALLOCATION other dealers can't match. check out their Facebook page for reviews, lots of return corvette buyers

do your research first! ask the right questions!

(4B00) Bayed 10/29/2014
Old 03-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
JDMAC

Drives: 2015 Laguna Blue C7
I can't agree more. You have to do your research. I live in the Houston, Texas area. I was unable to find any dealer in the area that was willing to "talk". The dealer in the area that I had brought my 1999 hardtop and two trucks was not willing to come off MSRP. I ended up purchasing my C7 from Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas. My salesman was Steve Thomas. From the beginning to delivery Steve was the best sales person I have every dealt with when purchasing a automobile. He sold a C7 to someone in LA, who for whatever reason could not get to Grapevine to pick up his car. Steve put the car in his trailer and drove to LA. To me that is what you would call GREAT customer service.
JDMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #25
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You are correct......BUT......

and again read my post above...ANY dealer that is getting "shafted" had his chance to get C7's, he just decided not to play per the GM rules...

A good example is Bud's, outside Columbus Ohio in a town as small as it gets....yet he decided to get behind the program, and now has mucho allocations.

Spoiled dealers want them when it's the good times, but not when times are tough, if this was your customer and he did this, what would you do?
My point is this. When people are looking to buy a corvette, and they put money down. the dealership should only act like middle man for a deal like this. GM should look at customer orders and dealership lot orders differently. then people will not have to call around different states, and different cites trying to get a car.

I remember i told my mother i ordered my corvette, and then had to switch dealerships because my local dealership could not get my car ordered. She was baffled on the fact i could not order a covette at certain dealers. she thought a once the order is placed FROM a customer it should go right into GM.

either way i switched to the 4th largest crovette dealer in the country. so i am covered. I just dont like the system as a person who grow up in a family owed business. it doesn't make sense to not let dealerships fill near guaranteed orders.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #26
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Agreed, I hear ya, but it's just not going to happen. The dealer is GM'S customer, the consumer is the dealers customer. It may change long term with the tesla model, but for now all mfr's allocate the same way. You get your share of what's hot based on past sales success. It's all legal now, and has been, since the mis-allocation scandal by honda in the 80’s.

The other problem is there is no way to tell- with today's budgets- if an order is real. Many have tried and given up. Porsche for one. Too many ways dealers can falsify orders.....the key here is no mfr has the resources to verify the order. And my opin, deep down inside , GM does not care about filling sold orders, when all of them are sold anyway.

As I keep saying, not right but the way it is.

>30 years as a factory rep for Honda,Porsche and BMW, 5 years as a general manager of a dealership.

Last edited by Glen e; 03-21-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote