The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #365
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
While that's high hp, I'm not impressed.

They just put a s/c on the biggest engine and did nothing else to the car. Its paying for a high HP machine that isn't refined i.e., magnetic shock absorbers. I'd rather get something with less HP but it is more technological.

Still, Dodge wins.
Dodge has changed the suspension on the Challenger and the Charger, and I don't see your comments about just putting the biggest engine and doing nothing to the rest of the car as correct. There are compromises for every car the Charger is a bigger car and the people that are going to go out and buy it are going to like it for what it is. Chevy has nothing that will be able to compete against the Charger, I hear that next year will be the last for the SS good job GM.

Last edited by rocket403; 10-23-2014 at 09:52 PM.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #366
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
They should have just imported the SS as is Holden badges , wheels ,trim and all. Looks much better that way. They are kinda doing that with the SEMA SS-Sport concept. Interesting that it's the Super Sport Sport Concept.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #367
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Dodge has changed the suspension on the Challenger and the Charger, and I don't see your comments about just putting the biggest engine and doing nothing to the rest of the car as correct. There are compromises for every car the Charger is a bigger car and the people that are going to go out and buy it are going to like it for what it is. Chevy has nothing that will be able to compete against the Charger, I hear that next year will be the last for the SS good job GM.
Chevy could but doesn't want too ! Chevy has two top sell sport coupes ! Dodge don't even have one ! Dodge don't even have a anything that will be able to compete with the Corvette!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #368
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr damon View Post
Looking forward to next week. SS sedan looks too boring to me. If I am unable to keep my camaro ss and buy a hellcat charger I will def get the scat pack version instead in that b5 blue or plum crazy if offered for the 2016s

Plum crazy is sick and I like the B5 blue but my favorite is the two orange colors and the FF ! Special edition is the white and blue 392 inaugural addition.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #369
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Dodge has changed the suspension on the Challenger and the Charger, and I don't see your comments about just putting the biggest engine and doing nothing to the rest of the car as correct.
From people that have actually driven the car, it is clear, they spent 90% of the development dollars between the front struts.
The long, wide coupe still has a lot of body to be piloted from corner to corner on the really tight sections of the road, but the truth is that it responded with neutrality and quickness at a moderate pace. "Nimble" wasn't the word that sprung to mind after turning more than 100 miles on public streets, but "confident" would be a fair one...Even with plenty of grip available most of the time, there's so much weight constantly desirous of changing direction that hustling the Dodge in the twisty bits left me either too slow or out of sorts upon exit. The steering is quick enough, but numb, which didn't help speed me up, either.
-Autoblog

The car leans heavily as we enter turns, but it's not sloppy...But yeah, man, it drives like a muscle car. It's heavy and it swings through corners with the leading edge of the bulging hood leaning low. Forget delicate work: That would be like whittling with a pole axe.
-Automobile Magazine

While the Camaro behaves like a sports car, the Challenger pretends to be nothing else than a straight-line dragster, and when you toss a corner its way it can be a handful. As associate editor Scott Evans put it, the Hellcat handles "just like a Challenger. Understeer into the corner, oversteer out."
-MotorTrend

The Challenger gets a lot of grief for its weight, and at 4,449 pounds, the 2015 Challenger is a heavy car. You can feel this while driving, it’s a pleasant thing on the highway, giving the car a solid, smooth ride, even in the firmest “Track” mode setting of the three-way adjustable suspension. In corners, the heft of the car is noticeable, especially if you’re used to a lighter machine
-Hot Rod Magazine
The Failcat reviews have been pouring in all summer and yet we have zero lap times or track comparisons vs Mustang or Camaro. Why do you think that is?

Quote:
There are compromises for every car the Charger is a bigger car and the people that are going to go out and buy it are going to like it for what it is.
Who are those people? What is the target audience?

Quote:
Chevy has nothing that will be able to compete against the Charger, I hear that next year will be the last for the SS good job GM.
Chevy already has it beat in the segment.
Charger YTD: 72,141
Impala YTD: 107,162

The SS sedan has both FCA twins beat already:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_comparison/
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Quote:
I hear that next year will be the last for the SS good job GM.
Please provide sources, not conjecture.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #370
rocket403

Here you go
http://fortune.com/2014/06/30/car-brands-discontinued/

I would not compare a Impala to Charger but you need to bring up the only 4 door Chevy will have past 15 as the SS is DOA

Because you like track times so much Medisin wonder what the Imapla's are LOL
Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #371
MEDISIN

Quote:
This is why no one takes you seriously. Your perpetually misguided. All the fortune article says is that they are shutting down Commodore production in Australia in 2017.

The 2015 SS improves with optional manual transmission, more colors and third gen magnetic ride control.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirm...l-more-colors/

Quote:
I would not compare a Impala to Charger but you need to bring up the only 4 door Chevy will have past 15 as the SS is DOA
Your willingness to compare them is irrelevant. Both the Charger and Impala compete for sales in the full size segment. Well, the Impala competes, and the Charger flounders like all Chrysler cars. The vast majority of Charger's sold are V6's. The SS sedan competes with the SRT Charger and is clearly the better car top to bottom as evidenced by independent reviews.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
Old 10-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #372
rocket403

Well not in this Review

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-d...thousands-less

I see a ton of Impala's in fleet retails, and a ton on the lot used looking for buyers, just Chevy junk on the road with plastic interior good for Fleet I guess.

I guess GM will not be selling the SS in Canada GM is selling the SS but not putting much effort into it again DOA
Old 10-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #373
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Well not in this Review

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-d...thousands-less

I see a ton of Impala's in fleet retails, and a ton on the lot used looking for buyers, just Chevy junk on the road with plastic interior good for Fleet I guess.

I guess GM will not be selling the SS in Canada GM is selling the SS but not putting much effort into it again DOA
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch that hurt, .

I guess if you are looking for a sedan with the styling of a V6 Ford Taurus the SS is it. If you are looking for something bold that will make a statement and beat the SS, Camaro SS, 5.0 Mustang in all the following: 0-60', 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1-mile, roll race, top speed, stop light to stop light, you will want the Scat Pack. If you want a sedan that looks perfectly at home in the local grocery store parking lot you will want the SS. I think I know what I would choose
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #374
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Well not in this Review
What "review"? He hasn't even driven the Scat Pack Charger, but it's gonna "crush" all comers. No doubt with it's monster truck-crushing WEIGHT.

Nice find. Next time, try reading the narrative, first, before commenting.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #375
MEDISIN

Quote:
Review? TorqueNews? Really? I missed the part where they pitted both cars in a head to head and recorded the performance results? Handling characteristics of both cars? Discussion about steering feel and driver engagement? Oh, there is none. Thanks for posting another useless link with no actual data.

Quote:
Yes, Impala's are everywhere because they outsell the Charger by a significant margin. I already said that. Let's not get carried away. Chevrolet holds a significant lead over Dodge in anything quality related.

Quote:
Because high horsepower RWD sedans sell so well in Canada? The SS is a niche product, imported from Australia in limited numbers to cater to a handful of enthusiasts. Everyone on the planet seems to realize this but you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I guess if you are looking for a sedan with the styling of a ghetto cruiser the Charger is it. If you are looking for something reminiscent of a land barge that will make you look like a suspect at the liquor store and beat cars that cost considerably less in a straight-line, while wallowing around like a jellbean in an earthquake you will want the Shat Pack. If you want a sedan that looks perfectly at home in non-section 8 housing, you will want the SS. I think I know what I would choose
Fixed it for you.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #376
rocket403

I did read the Article he said that he had driven the SS and the Charger models but not the 392 Scatpack and that he felt that it was not as good.

I guess the USA only counts when it comes to RWD cars, it not like the you guys in the US are buying a whole lot of them either. The SS looks like any other front drive sedan GM is making that is the issue and why sales are low, the car is DOA and GM will either make it the car that it should be or cut it loose.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #377
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Reminds me of this guy.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #378
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
I guess the USA only counts when it comes to RWD cars, it not like the you guys in the US are buying a whole lot of them either. The SS looks like any other front drive sedan GM is making that is the issue and why sales are low, the car is DOA and GM will either make it the car that it should be or cut it loose.
You're from Canada, eh? Where the SS is NOT for sale. Is that fact the source of your continuous derogatory remarks regarding the SS, a car you haven't driven and can't buy but a car that you secretly LUST for? Or are you simply displaying a continuously trolling nature?

If you had a dog in this hunt, your opinion might carry more (some?) validity. As it is, you're allowing bloggers who haven't driven a vehicle to shade your non-buying perspective regarding the SS. Or you're clearly a Mopar fanboy. Either way, you're now compromised.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote