Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Question Range AFM Delete Battery Draw

Just got a Range AFM Delete module for my 2020 2SS, on the back of the box it says "IMPORTANT: Do not leave your Range device installed on a vehicle that is not driven daily. Unplug the device if the vehicle will not be driven for a few days. There may be a draw on the battery in some vehicles."

My question is, is there a battery draw on the Camaro SS if you leave this device plugged in? There I times I might go 7-10 days without driving my Camaro, will this cause a battery issue?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Supposedly the newest range devices do not drain the battery to any great degree. Contact range for more definitive facts.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Supposedly the newest range devices do not drain the battery to any great degree. Contact range for more definitive facts.
Thanks, mine should be the newest as I ordered it directly from Range and it was even backordered a couple days when I ordered it...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 08-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
On their page, they state it still draws a very minimal current.
See below for the quote:
"Testing has shown that the Range Device has a very small battery draw when the vehicle is off and in "sleep" mode. This is because it needs a monitor running to catch when the vehicle is started. This small draw is not enough to adversely affect battery life or drain the battery unless left in place for an extended period of time (i.e. more than a week or two)."
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by njweatherman View Post
On their page, they state it still draws a very minimal current.
See below for the quote:
"Testing has shown that the Range Device has a very small battery draw when the vehicle is off and in "sleep" mode. This is because it needs a monitor running to catch when the vehicle is started. This small draw is not enough to adversely affect battery life or drain the battery unless left in place for an extended period of time (i.e. more than a week or two)."
Hmmm... Ok, thanks, sometimes my car sits for over a week... I guess if that is the case I remove it if I think it is going to sit for an extended period...

Old 08-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
I would. It does not hurt to remove it. I unplug mine daily in the summer time because my car sits in the Sun all day and it gets hot in the car. I've had no problems removing it daily. Nothing has loosened and it works great.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
You can remove it or utilize a switchable harness. One end goes into the OBDII port and the other end has the RANGE MODULE plugged into it. In between is a simple rocker switch. The one I bought is 24" long which allows for the module to be placed under the dash or near the console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I left mine (#RA003G, V8.6R1) plugged in all the time, but my C7 Z06 was always on a BATTERY TENDER PLUS when the car was stored. Removing it over and over risks bending a pin.
az4783054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
You can remove it or utilize a switchable harness. One end goes into the OBDII port and the other end has the RANGE MODULE plugged into it. In between is a simple rocker switch. The one I bought is 24" long which allows for the module to be placed under the dash or near the console.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I left mine (#RA003G, V8.6R1) plugged in all the time, but my C7 Z06 was always on a BATTERY TENDER PLUS when the car was stored. Removing it over and over risks bending a pin.
Awesome, thanks!

Just ordered the harness.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
You will be good with the harness, I have been usi ng my Range with a harness for yeays, always switch it off if the car will sit for more than a few minutes, never had an issue.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Where are you guys mounting the switch and device??? I haven't looked under the dash yet but I don't want wires hanging everywhere...

Old 08-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
This is how I have mine mounted. I used velco for the Range on the carpet as well as the switch itself.
Attached Images

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
This is how I have mine mounted. I used velco for the Range on the carpet as well as the switch itself.
Nice! Thank you!

Old 08-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #13
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Got my Range AFM Delete and Switch Harness installed today!