Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #15
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
That's EXACTLY why I think it's ugly.
Just noticed you're a Mustang guy too, thought you were a Camaro guy. I remember it being pretty combative on the Mustang forums when the 2015 was released. I never would have looked at the Mustang before the 2015 came out, and the redesign is what drew me in.

What do you think of the 2018+ Mustang? I think it was a turn in the wrong direction, but I'm guessing it's more in line with what you might like?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #16
Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
I've said this same thing before about the hotwheels and TF stuff. They need to get over the toy thing.

The only Camaro I considered is the 1LE because it looks more purposeful and mature. The only other would be a ZL1. I'm a 42 year old dude and I dont want to drive around in a big version of a kid's toy.

I think the mustang looks more refined and mature, but for the money, the 1LE won me over.
I agree, had a 2015 Mustang EcoBoost and wanted to upgrade to either the GT or SS. Wanted a change of scenery so went with the SS in spite of the looks.

It's pretty laughable how much attention this car gets from 5-10 year old boys when driving down the street. Not sure what it says about the car. The redesign probably isn't going to help much with that either.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #17
sqldbatx

Drives: '17 Camaro SS | Lotus Evora (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
I think generally the American muscle cars have very little appeal in the professional world.

Right on the nose! I'd own another Evora S if my wife didn't hate my last one so much. I was looking at a Lotus Esprit before I got the SS but she wasn't keen on a two seater considering we have 2 kids.

I was very interested in the RS5 and C63 AMG. Seriously considered a v8 R8 too but again not very practical. I think what sucked me into the SS was price, modability, and ease of maintenance. I have friends that have higher end AMGs that make much more power than the base Camaro SS, both being stock. but you dig into what it costs to add power or maintain the car and it's too much.

This is why I loved the Evora. 400 HP @ 3000 lbs. People thought it was a high end exotic because you never see them. Very easy maintenance as it's a Supercharged Toyota Camry; but, back to the topic. Professionals especially my age (41) would rather go for a BMW or Audi. Then if they can afford it'd be a M series or Porsche. Though many go for the high end SUV here in Texas too.
sqldbatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
sqldbatx

Drives: '17 Camaro SS | Lotus Evora (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
That's EXACTLY why I think it's ugly.
As a former '03 Cobra owner, I'd say the 2015 Mustang looks great! Drooled over it for a long time but I always got them from Avis when out of town. Most of them were Ecoboost and the occasional GT. I test drove a 2018 A10 and it was a ton of fun; but, the Camaro always seemed to handle and drive much better. The Mustang always felt "squirrelly" to me. The 2015+ drives much better than my 2013 GT did. Can't say the same for the '03 Cobra though.

I've also owned a 69 Convertible 351 Windsor, 2005 Convertible, & 2013 GT. Then on the FBody side I've owned a '93 TA, '79 Z28, and '81 Z28. Wish I had the 81 back. Would be a great weekend car.
sqldbatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #19
dr damon

Drives: 2011 MANTIS Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
As a professional in a conservative field, I'm somewhat embarrassed to own this car and drive it to work in a parking garage full of of A6s, E classes, and 5 series. I bought the car for the drivetrain and performance rather than looks (which I never loved), but it strikes me as somewhat juvenile looking. The 2015+ Mustang, on the other hand (which I used to own), looks a lot more refined and professional. But, the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger market probably doesn't have a lot of professionals, would be my guess.
I am not ashamed at all to rumble around the physicians parking lot in the garage at work while driving past all the teslas, audis, bmws, mercedes,lexus, and porsches. But that's just me.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqldbatx View Post
Professionals especially my age (41) would rather go for a BMW or Audi. Then if they can afford it'd be a M series or Porsche.
I think part of the problem is on both sides. The manufacturers have not done a great job appealing to that crowd with the aesthetics (minus the current gen Mustang, which is the most European looking out of the three). Perhaps that's intentional, as they know their buyers are more of the NASCAR crowd than the country club set.

On the other hand, professionals seem to just want to keep up with their coworkers and people in their field and don't want to deviate too much from the norm of owning a BMW, MB, Audi, Lexus, or Infiniti. The one exception I've seen is that Tahoes seem common among professionals for some reason.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #21
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
only Transformers movie that was good was the first one.
only Transformers movie with a stock looking Camaro was the first one.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #22
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
So sixth gen sales are down.

GM releases a refreshed car that:

-Has controversial styling (at least off putting to a majority of loyal Camaro fans- let alone other potential buyers) that erases all historical Camaro dna.

-Has new tech to alleviate visibility concerns but makes you fork over more $ for a 2SS trim. Should safety aids be standard on a $38K sports car? If not, why not provide it a level the competition does not?

-Has a power deficit in comparison to its main competition

-Has fewer color choices

Pricing is still unknown so who knows how that will factor in . . .

Yeah, that'll increase sales.
I agree with most of your points but does being "down" on horsepower really matter when the Camaro is still faster than the Mustang and the Dodge twins?

That said this redesign is hideous.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
I agree with most of your points but does being "down" on horsepower really matter when the Camaro is still faster than the Mustang and the Dodge twins?

That said this redesign is hideous.
Well in the Motor Trend H2H the Mustang GT ran away from the 1LE after 1/4 mile . . . so yeah a little boost would help.

Lets see if GM digs in their heels and sticks with the front facia . . .
triggerjerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
have to admit the 2017s have it all over the 2019s in the looks department...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #25
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Have any of you guys considered that maybe JUST MAYBE Chevy was already designing the refresh and then they just tweaked it/made it way more wild for the Transformers car??? That seems like the way more likely scenario here in my mind......

Remember they start designing these cars YEARS in advance, they were almost certainly already working on the refresh before the first customer took delivery of a 2016 Camaro!
Good point. And, I agree with you. But, man, poor SS. What a shame.
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #26
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Never!!!!

Old 04-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #27
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I like a good road course car, but I tell you that V6 1LE has way too much power. I want a car that absolutely punishes my lap time when I don't hit the corner perfectly. The new 4 cylinder 1LE should be awesome!

And why would they use CBS This Morning for a surprise debut? It makes no sense. It's like they just realized the best auto shows of the year have already passed, and they forgot to design and announce the '19 Camaro. "Hey Al, did you remember to build a '19 Camaro?.... Al?....Al?...Well crap. Grab that Transformers car we did a while back and tell CBS This Morning it's the new '19 Camaro SS. Problem solved. Now where's lunch today?"

I don't know what's going on. It's unimaginably bad, almost like they are trying to fail.

Maybe they just need another Lego Movie for more marketing material. I'm sure that'll sell cars to the 30 to 70 year-old male demographic.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #28
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
But, but, Mustang makes a car in '18 that comes from that old "Bullett" movie and it looks good. We get a car that's a cross from the alien in "Predator" and the last ugly "Transformer Camaro".
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote