Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
marktvilbert

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible RS 2LT
Option for radio upgrade with navigation

2013 RS 2 LT convertible, heated seats, with the good stereo system but no navigation. I would like to add it. Any tips from others that have done this?
marktvilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
You basically have two choices:

1, Upgrade to a factory MyLink

2. Upgrade with an aftermarket radio

After buying a new MyLink headunit, buying the harnesses, and programming the radio it can get pretty expensive. The benefit is that it almost plug and play but you’re not going to get the latest and greatest features that the aftermarket has.

http://www.gen5diy.com/Chevrolet/Cam...o-Upgrade-Kit/

If you go the aftermarket route it’s going to actually be a lot cheaper and you’ll probably get much better sound and features but it’s a more difficult process. Many of us who have gone that route used the RadioPro5 complete kit. There’s a huge thread on this in the audio section and this is a good link to show you what’s involved.

http://www.tampabaycamaros.com/pac-a...4101-hands-on/

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #3
thef4ng

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS A6 SIM
I went with the RadioPro5 kit and applecarplay double din. I love cant imagine going back to stock. I previously had the my link. It’s good but not as good as going with aftermarket.
thef4ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Gossamer

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
I'm looking at this kit for my 2012. With the install kit does the system become a lot more plug and play?

If it requires a lot of line tracing, I'm taking to the shop. I'm too old and to fat to crawl around the dash of my camaro.

One more quick question for those that have, for the mirroring deal with carplay or android auto, do you still need to be plugged in for full functions?
Gossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Michaels_45

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro 2LT RS
I would just leave the stereo alone and get a little navigation/dash-cam unit that suctions on the windshield. My dad has a Garmin in his Canyon and loves it. Not only is the dash cam useful, but it comes with forward collision and lane departure warning. Just something to consider.
Michaels_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Even Crutchfield warns that Camaro radio install is a PITA. They recommend upgrading the speakers only.

For $300 you can have a Garmin with lifetime map updates. Even better than the view obstructing windshield mount (illegal in some states BTW), Garmin has a mount that clamps to the center airvent and this puts the display in a perfect position.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Even Crutchfield warns that Camaro radio install is a PITA. They recommend upgrading the speakers only.

For $300 you can have a Garmin with lifetime map updates. Even better than the view obstructing windshield mount (illegal in some states BTW), Garmin has a mount that clamps to the center airvent and this puts the display in a perfect position.
Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466017

If you can do simple soldering and disassembling of the IP, it really wasn't that hard. Everything was pretty much plug and play and there's several online videos that help you through it. Depending on what radio you buy, you may not to do any trimming in the dash. I love Crutchfield but for some reason they haven't begun carrying the RadioPro5 yet, but I bet they will.

I have a Garmin and on long trips I'd probably use it but with the new Pioneer I bought I can use Waze and Navii along with several other Apple navigation apps. With Apple CarPlay, you just plug any iPhone in and it's ready to go with the nav apps - no set up required. You're also "update-proofing" your car because if (when) something better comes along, if you go with the same brand radio you can simply replace the old unit with a new one without having to change the harness.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #8
thiwho

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
One of the big thing is and idk if you have the hud or not but if you do you can get the MyLink and it will work with your hud. Show you your nav info right on the windshield.
thiwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
mattress67

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
So, I have just been searching because I want to install a new radio in my 2013 Camaro, but seeing that complete bezel thing for sale (new aftermarket head kit option, circa 2016) made me think that I can't just swap the radio - but according to this thread, it seems that I can?

I und the PAC thing, so just to confirm - any issues just buying a double din (like a Pioneer AVH1300NEX), a PAC harness and that's it?
mattress67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #10
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaels_45 View Post
I would just leave the stereo alone and get a little navigation/dash-cam unit that suctions on the windshield. My dad has a Garmin in his Canyon and loves it. Not only is the dash cam useful, but it comes with forward collision and lane departure warning. Just something to consider.
This ^^^^ The MyLinks that came in both our Camaro & Traverse did not have NAV; NAV was provided through OnStar. When my subscriptions to OnStar were up, I just kept the free services and lost my NAV. This gave me two options; upgrade to the newer MyLink that has built in NAV or go with a new Garmin. Given the cost of two new head units versus the cost of one Garmin and the fact the only time I normally need to use NAV is on our long road trips you know which way I went.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #11
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote