Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #15
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Please read comments above. I never said I expected to retire off the car. I said I was hoping to sell it for a profit. My 401K is for my retirement. But thanks
Actually you started a thread fishing for someone to tell you what you want to hear. You are just looking for an excuse to buy another car, that's fine.

I just watched a You tube where a guy got over a million bucks for an old indian blanket so you never know I guess.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
A while back I watched the Mecum Auctions where they were selling off a collection of 80's & 90's Corvette's, Camaro's, as well as a whole bunch of really cool cars from that period. The cars were never driven, they were stored, fluid removed, even the seats had the protective plastic on them. Out of the 25 or so cars that rolled along the block (and remember that these cars were cherry, stickers still on the windows) not a one of them ever sold for what the sticker price was. So I'd guess as an investment you probably won't make much if anything at all.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Actually you started a thread fishing for someone to tell you what you want to hear. You are just looking for an excuse to buy another car, that's fine.

I just watched a You tube where a guy got over a million bucks for an old indian blanket so you never know I guess.
No I genuinely want to know how people feel about the Boss vs the ZL1 vs the 2nd gen Viper. Not one person has offered an opinion. They've all tried to give me financial advice.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #18
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
A while back I watched the Mecum Auctions where they were selling off a collection of 80's & 90's Corvette's, Camaro's, as well as a whole bunch of really cool cars from that period. The cars were never driven, they were stored, fluid removed, even the seats had the protective plastic on them. Out of the 25 or so cars that rolled along the block (and remember that these cars were cherry, stickers still on the windows) not a one of them ever sold for what the sticker price was. So I'd guess as an investment you probably won't make much if anything at all.
I can see that. There aren't a lot of great cars from the 90's. I mean, one day, those cars will be more desirable than they are now. But right now is definitely not the time to sell a 90's car.

I have stories too. I was at the Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale around 96 or so. Just a kid. I saw countless Ferrari go across for less than $30,000. I saw a Testarossa sell for something ridiculous like $25,000. People were just afraid of them. Now. OMG. People don't care if they break down. They just buy them. I saw a mint Delorean sell there when I was 12 for $6000. My house was five minutes away from West World, so we went to the Barrett Jackson every year.

As for the three cars I'm looking at. A) I want them. I'm going to drive whichever I buy weekly. I'm going to enjoy the car. B) When I get old, I'm going to sell it. C) So why not buy a car that could potentially sell for the most.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #19
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
Out of your 3 choices the Viper has already taken the biggest hit on the depreciation and there are far fewer of them each year. In 97 (1671) other years much more rare. The Boss (over 4,000 each year), and the ZL1 still have to take some pretty hard hits value wise. Driving any of them will accelerate the devaluing.

Storing, driving, maintenance, and mod choices will make enjoying it versus investment potential not match.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #20
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
I have several friends who make their entire living by flipping cars. My uncle has made his entire fortune by buying and selling planes and cars. He stockpiled muscle cars when no one wanted them and he's selling them now for a fortune.

So cars can be a remarkable investment.

Whether the cars I mentioned will be good investments, that's the question.

But you've got to see where I'm coming from. I'm going to buy a brilliant performance car from the 95-2015 era. I just am. So I'd like to buy a car from that era that will potentially be desirable 30 years from now when I retire. A car that will be a joy to own over the next 30 years, and a joy to sell when the time comes

And what cars did your uncle flip to make said fortune?

Furthermore, what makes you think the car market is the same as it was when he started flipping cars? Why flip a guaranteed depreciating asset vs something that has a good chance of giving a return for your profit in 30 years? There are other things besides 401ks and stocks you can invest in.

You're hearing financial advice because you asked a financial question. It isn't advice either, it's common sense. What you're asking and what reality is, do not compute.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #21
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
So many people missing the point... just answer his question.

Viper

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #22
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
I have a house. It has a garage.

You genuinely don't believe that a Viper GTS will be worth more than 30,000 in 30 years??
I think the only chance you would have to make serious money would be to buy new and then never drive the thing and keep it in show room condition for 30 years, then maybe you would make money. Not sure you would make money because it was worth more but likely because the value of the dollar keeps going through the floor.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #23
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post

And what cars did your uncle flip to make said fortune?

Furthermore, what makes you think the car market is the same as it was when he started flipping cars? Why flip a guaranteed depreciating asset vs something that has a good chance of giving a return for your profit in 30 years? There are other things besides 401ks and stocks you can invest in.

You're hearing financial advice because you asked a financial question. It isn't advice either, it's common sense. What you're asking and what reality is, do not compute.
My uncle flipped over thirty cars before he graduated from high school. He's just one of those kind of guys. He lives in a mansion one the Mississippi river in Iowa. I'm not him. I'm not looking to make a living doing this. I'll just repeat myself. I'm going to buy one of the three cars I listed. They each appeal to me. I love each so much, I intend to keep it until I'm no longer able to drive it. So I'm wondering which could be potentially worth more in 30 years. It's not an odd question. You don't think about things like that? You don't think about re-sale when you buy something?

You don't know how big my 401k is. You don't need to worry about my retirement. I'm just genuinely interested in what other car guys think. What are your thoughts and feelings about the three cars I listed? As car guys, I thought people here would have great insight.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #24
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I think the only chance you would have to make serious money would be to buy new and then never drive the thing and keep it in show room condition for 30 years, then maybe you would make money. Not sure you would make money because it was worth more but likely because the value of the dollar keeps going through the floor.
Anyone who was looking to make serious money, by purchasing one of these muscle cars would be a moron. Serious money doesn't enter into this equation.

I'm just interested to know which of the three you think will be more classic, more sought after, in 30 years? They'll all be desirable. Which will be the most valuable.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #25
snaphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
So many people missing the point... just answer his question.

Viper
Hey thanks man!!
Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #26
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
I would go for the viper
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:50 AM   #27
RA1987

Drives: SS
Viper
RA1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #28
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
How about a Boss "LS" - should hold its value. But a Viper is a Viper! So I don't know lol