Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #71
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
First, welcome to the site. Second, there are no known prices released by GM. Sorry. We are all waiting and just as curious.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #72
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUson View Post
Is there any info on what the base price on the Z28 (400-450hp advertised) Camaro will be. I hope it's less than $30,000, along the lines of 26-27. I don't need any fancy packages. A black Z28 will make me more than happy. Thanks in Advance.
$26-27? Don't hold your breathe. Inflation alone puts the V8 higher than that. It could happen. Like I said, if they decide to use the L76 as a base V8 to lower the price then it could happen, but you will not see prices like that with an LS engine IMO....
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #73
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
$26-27? Don't hold your breathe. Inflation alone puts the V8 higher than that. It could happen. Like I said, if they decide to use the L76 as a base V8 to lower the price then it could happen, but you will not see prices like that with an LS engine IMO....

I try to guess and base what I think the pricing will be based on current market factors, the out going 400hp LS2 GTO was priced in the $30-$32K area. That is what it cost where I'm from, and before dealers started offering major incentives towards the end of the run.

Anyway, I just don't see how a new LS3 Camaro will be any cheaper than that, and once you factor in another 2 years of inflation that price goes even higher.

The only V8 Camaro I see being priced in and around $30K won't be an LS3, it will be something more along the lines of that 5.3L V8 (is that the L76 you mentioned Casull?). There is nothing wrong with that, but I just don't see 450+ hp for less than $35K

Again I'm just guessing.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #74
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Well, if the prices are as high as that ^^ for a regular old LS3, I don't see GM being able to sell enough of them per year. Look at it this way, GM wants to be able to sell 100K per year w/ maybe 30% of those in the Z28 and SS range, right? Ok...30K is a lot to sell per year and a whole heck of a lot of people want to get into the Z28/SS. But, you start the price at 35K like you said above and be honest...what do you think will happen? FLOP!!

If the starting price for an LS3 is 35K, I WILL NOT BE GETTING ONE. I won't be buying a base V8 either. Why? Because I don't want anything BASE. I don't give a rats ass about inflation. If GM tries to use this as an excuse to raise their cost of the vehicle, they can kiss it. The cost of living is skyrocketing too, but I don't see my salary getting that much of a boost. And rising health care costs?!?!?!?! PLEASE.

GM will not sell as many Camaros as they had hoped if they price it that high and it'll end up dying like the last Gen or like Rock mentioned about the GTO's above......with huge incentives to try to get the public to buy them...which will also lead to it dying. This'll be dead in the water if they try to price it too high. Sure, they'll sell a bunch at their high price. But, they won't sell as much as they wanted to. And...it'll taper off and the following year's sales won't be as high because everyone willing to pay that high price just got one.

GM has made some great cars at great prices. The Camaro was known as a true musclecar at a great price. 23K for an 02 Z28 loaded ... 325 hp right out the door (This is what MY Z28 cost ME). 23K??? That's going to have to be around the same price for a base V8 w/ MORE power than that....IF THEY WANT THEM TO SELL. I'm thinking LS3 base will be 26 to 27K for starters completely base...and if we're lucky, a few dollars less. If they go any higher than that.........GM will kill it.

**************RANT OVER************
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #75
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham

Oh, Wonderful...Beautiful. An Excellent dislpay of deduction skills.

AND THE SAME THING I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET PEOPLE TO BELIEVE ME ON!
Well, I'm glad somebody does
Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #76
Casull

Ok, here is my optimistic post.

In 2002 you could get a new Z28 for around $23,000 ($22,800 was the actual base Z28 price I found, MSRP)

Furthermore, You could get a new CORVETTE for around $42,000 ($41,680 was the actual base price, MSRP)

Anyone know what a base 2007 Corvette costs today? $44,995. That is only a difference of $3,315 between a 2002 and a 2007 base vette.

Sooooo.... if the price differential for a 2002 Camaro to a 2002 Corvette was $18,880, and if that differential is maintained for the 5th gen, then we could realistically be looking at a 5th gen price of $26,115. Even if they narrow the price gap between the Camaro to the Corvette by $3 grand, then you are STILL looking at an MSRP price of UNDER $30,000. That price gap was with an LS1 engine, so there is no reason to expect a price gap much different for the 5th gen with the LS3, IMO.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #77
Casull

By the way, it appears as though GMs prices are not directly reflective of inflation, which is great news.

Using the above example, if a 2002 Corvette cost $41,680, then it should cost $48,318 in todays' dollars (inflation). However, it only costs $44,995 - and they just inceased the price on the base vettes this month, so that price should be good until this time next year at least.

In addition; comparing the 5th gens price point to the GTO's is pointless IMO. I think GM learned their lesson with that mishap... great car, but the styling was mediocre and the price was way too high. I wouldn't expect the same out of the 5th gen.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #78
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Well, if the prices are as high as that ^^ for a regular old LS3, I don't see GM being able to sell enough of them per year. Look at it this way, GM wants to be able to sell 100K per year w/ maybe 30% of those in the Z28 and SS range, right? Ok...30K is a lot to sell per year and a whole heck of a lot of people want to get into the Z28/SS. But, you start the price at 35K like you said above and be honest...what do you think will happen? FLOP!!

If the starting price for an LS3 is 35K, I WILL NOT BE GETTING ONE. I won't be buying a base V8 either. Why? Because I don't want anything BASE. I don't give a rats ass about inflation. If GM tries to use this as an excuse to raise their cost of the vehicle, they can kiss it. The cost of living is skyrocketing too, but I don't see my salary getting that much of a boost. And rising health care costs?!?!?!?! PLEASE.

GM will not sell as many Camaros as they had hoped if they price it that high and it'll end up dying like the last Gen or like Rock mentioned about the GTO's above......with huge incentives to try to get the public to buy them...which will also lead to it dying. This'll be dead in the water if they try to price it too high. Sure, they'll sell a bunch at their high price. But, they won't sell as much as they wanted to. And...it'll taper off and the following year's sales won't be as high because everyone willing to pay that high price just got one.

GM has made some great cars at great prices. The Camaro was known as a true musclecar at a great price. 23K for an 02 Z28 loaded ... 325 hp right out the door (This is what MY Z28 cost ME). 23K??? That's going to have to be around the same price for a base V8 w/ MORE power than that....IF THEY WANT THEM TO SELL. I'm thinking LS3 base will be 26 to 27K for starters completely base...and if we're lucky, a few dollars less. If they go any higher than that.........GM will kill it.

**************RANT OVER************
Hey man I'm totally with you, and one persons guess is as good as mine. I was just giving my reasoning. I could be wrong. In fact I want to be wrong. It is just hard for me to ignore the MSRP of the GTO, Charger SRT-8, Shelby GT500, the expected cost of Challenger, and what I saw the Camaro SS and Z28 go for back in 01 and 02....speaking of which

That is awesome you found a loaded Z28 for $23K back in 2002. I was never able to find one anywhere close to that. All the LS1 Camaros and Firebirds I looked at in California and Washington were all in the $26-$28K range back then. :(

If I was able to find one for $23K, I wouldn't have had to wait until 2005 (after the camaros were already on hiatus) to buy my pony car.....but maybe I should do my shopping in Texas next time.

Only time will tell I guess.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #79
DaUson

Drives: T-bird
Quote:
Thank for welcoming me to the site. Didn't know there was a forum for this till I googled the car.

Well the reason why I say that ammount, is because the camaro has always been aimed to compete with the mustang GT. The mustang GT base priced out at $27,600 via the "build your mustang" thing on ford's website. That's how I got the ball park figure.

Here is my opinion: If the base z28 option is over 30k, I think GM is making a grave error. I personally, if were looking for a camaro and it was in the 30-35k range... I'd rather spend a bit more and get a 'Vette, who's base price goes for the low 40's. Or, the non chevy diehard is going to go "Hmm, Mustang
27k, Camaro 35k."

Bottom line: if its priced to close to that of a vette, sales will suffer. The whole concept of camaro is budget muscle car/sports car. You don't have that, although it's a nice car, many might just get the Vette, or save pennies and get a mustang.
DaUson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #80
DaUson

Quote:
Ok, here is my optimistic post.

In 2002 you could get a new Z28 for around $23,000 ($22,800 was the actual base Z28 price I found, MSRP)

Furthermore, You could get a new CORVETTE for around $42,000 ($41,680 was the actual base price, MSRP)

Anyone know what a base 2007 Corvette costs today? $44,995. That is only a difference of $3,315 between a 2002 and a 2007 base vette.

Sooooo.... if the price differential for a 2002 Camaro to a 2002 Corvette was $18,880, and if that differential is maintained for the 5th gen, then we could realistically be looking at a 5th gen price of $26,115. Even if they narrow the price gap between the Camaro to the Corvette by $3 grand, then you are STILL looking at an MSRP price of UNDER $30,000. That price gap was with an LS1 engine, so there is no reason to expect a price gap much different for the 5th gen with the LS3, IMO.
I pray every night for this to be the case. please, please, please, please, please lord let this statement come true.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #81
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaUson View Post
Thank for welcoming me to the site. Didn't know there was a forum for this till I googled the car.

Well the reason why I say that ammount, is because the camaro has always been aimed to compete with the mustang GT. The mustang GT base priced out at $27,600 via the "build your mustang" thing on ford's website. That's how I got the ball park figure.

Here is my opinion: If the base z28 option is over 30k, I think GM is making a grave error. I personally, if were looking for a camaro and it was in the 30-35k range... I'd rather spend a bit more and get a 'Vette, who's base price goes for the low 40's. Or, the non chevy diehard is going to go "Hmm, Mustang
27k, Camaro 35k."

Bottom line: if its priced to close to that of a vette, sales will suffer. The whole concept of camaro is budget muscle car/sports car. You don't have that, although it's a nice car, many might just get the Vette, or save pennies and get a mustang.
I don't have any doubt that there will be a V8 Camaro priced within reach of a comparable Mustang. GM has said this and it has been confirmed by others. There WILL be a V8 priced within a few hundred of a comparable Mustang. The question that I think most of us have is, which V8 will that be?

I mean, you can put the L76 in the Camaro and it will crank out just under 400 HP and that will still beat whatever will be in the 09 Mustangs. The problem is that no one on here really wants the L76. We want the LS3. Therefore the question becomes; will they put the LS3 in the Camaro and have it priced next to a Mustang? I dunno. I mean, should a 350HP mustang cost the same as a 450HP Camaro? I hope so.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #82
DaUson

Quote:
I don't have any doubt that there will be a V8 Camaro priced within reach of a comparable Mustang. GM has said this and it has been confirmed by others. There WILL be a V8 priced within a few hundred of a comparable Mustang. The question that I think most of us have is, which V8 will that be?

I mean, you can put the L76 in the Camaro and it will crank out just under 400 HP and that will still beat whatever will be in the 09 Mustangs. The problem is that no one on here really wants the L76. We want the LS3. Therefore the question becomes; will they put the LS3 in the Camaro and have it priced next to a Mustang? I dunno. I mean, should a 350HP mustang cost the same as a 450HP Camaro? I hope so.

I see. I'd like the LS3 as well. But I'll be honest, give me a simple Z28 with just under 400hp for within a few hundred bucks of a GT, and I'll be on it like a fat kid on cake. When I get some pay raises I may trade in for the more powerful version.

I had a 79 z28 decked out with a nice motor. Car started out bone stock. Sold it 4 years ago before comming into the airforce due to uncertainties in where I'd be able to keep it, if I'd go over sea's first, etc. I regret it every day. Should've just paid a monthly storage thing.

I just want a camaro again. 350-380 hp will get me in the 12's in my daily driver, and I shall be filled with much joy.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #83
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I've got to wait even longer than most of you guys. I have to wait till 2012 when i get out of college. By then i dont care what it costs to get the V8. Hell, by then we might all be in lil hover cars. But really, i would be pleasantly surprised if the numbers he came up with are close. With how amazing this car is going to be and how much better it will be than the stang, i was expecting the price to a few grand more than it. Well i have 5 years to keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by AirGoya; 04-24-2007 at 03:30 PM.
AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:05 AM   #84
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Casull, I hope you are right on the price gap w/ the LS3 post. I agree about the inflation part as well. GM hasn't increased their prices too much either. I understand that there is going to be inflation, but I just hope it isn't that much. A car co. can only raise prices so high claiming they had to to keep up with inflation. If they were to continue, no one would be able to buy a car in the many years to come! There's a point where too much is just too much.

Also, I wasn't necessarily comparing the GTO to the Camaro. The GTO is in a whole other ball park. It wasn't just the price that killed it (although I think it was the main factor). But, it was also it's styling. They could have done a better job w/ that one as we all know. No...I'm not knocking the car. I do like it, but my main concern is the price...immediately followed by the fact that GM decided to call it a GTO... It should have been given a different name IMO. Now, the 5th Gens style???!!! Oh, yeah...

Rock, I'm not against you at all and I wasn't snapping at you. Sorry if I came off like that! We all want the price to be within our reach but only time will tell. As far as the 23K Camaro I purchased, I neglected to say that not only did I special order it from a dealer I had purchased two vehicles from, but that I got it for $200 over COST and also got the promotional $2002 cash back in the 2002 model year. So, yes. I got a very, very good deal on it.

"I don't have any doubt that there will be a V8 Camaro priced within reach of a comparable Mustang. GM has said this and it has been confirmed by others. There WILL be a V8 priced within a few hundred of a comparable Mustang. The question that I think most of us have is, which V8 will that be?"
This is what weighs heavy on my mind. If they do make a base L76, just what will the hp rating be and what will it run? And...the big question, what will the base LS3 model be??? I say scrap the L76 and leave it be w/ the LS3. I would imagine it would save GM some dollars and keep that priced comparable to the Mustang GT. It'll blow them out of the water right off the bat. You want to talk about stealing the competition??? If you liked both the Mustang and the Camaro, both were priced the same, but the main difference was the engine, WHICH ONE WOULD YOU CHOOSE? I would say the majority of the folks would go w/ the higher hp #'s. Again, that was for those who were teedering on which one to buy.

We all hope it's priced right. I guess I'm just getting worried that it will be released with a mediocre base V8 engine and that will be the Camaro comparable to the GT in hp and in price. You have to one up the competition and I feel the LS3 is a guaranteed answer.