The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Post Sign 2 Petitions to Repeal CAFE (or just 1)

UPDATE

Due to the poor rate of signatures on my previous petition, I've decided to introduce a new one with no compromises. It asks to repeal CAFE. While I lack confidence that this will be taken seriously by a government that has favored CAFE without some sort of concession, you are welcome to sign this petition as well.

New petition—repeal CAFE.
Old petition—repeal CAFE and replace it with something that governs the quality of emissions. Excessively bad emissions would be fined.

For the love of all things Camaro, do not argue about politics in this thread.

Nobody here likes CAFE. It puts the fear of a gas guzzler tax in us all. Imagine instead if GM could make the fuel burn cleaner and sell us whatever we want to buy. Instead of selling us mandated fuel economy, we could buy Camaros and Corvettes only being taxed if the vehicles are excessive polluters.

Let's go a little more in depth. Fuel burns in a chemical reaction. Sometimes, those chemicals are downright dangerous. Those chemicals come from all of our cars and go into the atmosphere. The thing about chemicals is that engineers and chemists know how to make enzymes that can help reduce the damage done by our cars. We can use these to obey national emissions standards if the manufacturers build them into the cars.

It is commonly known that 4-cylinder engines get better fuel economy. With my proposal, we won't have to worry about the death of the V8. As long as GM can make them burn fairly cleanly, which GM can do, then we can have V8s forever. It's good news for car enthusiasts.

It's also good news for environmentalists. Fuel economy is a nice feature to consider when buying a car, but it doesn't tell the whole story. A person who drives a Prius all over town is still emitting pollutants that could be mitigated to produce cleaner air. Just because you can go farther on a tank of gas doesn't mean your car is good for the environment. Burning cleaner makes cars safer for the environment.

What does burning cleaner mean? Burning petroleum products makes some really nasty chemicals that do serious damage. By reducing the number of chemicals that do not normally occur in nature, we will be releasing more chemicals that do occur naturally. These break down and do less harm to the environment. Think about it like smoking versus breathing. Smoking releases bad chemicals. Breathing releases natural chemicals. It's not that different.

I produced a petition for the White House and have 30 days to get 100,000 signatures. Please sign my petition.
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 01-22-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: update
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Signed it.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...ok,lol...but a petition to eliminate CAFE "is" a political argument...lol...
yeah.....but it's car related.

Signed. And posted on Facebook....and I hardly use facebook, so that's saying something.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Good idea...I remember when cars with added on smog equipment polluted worse than tuned, but they passed the test!...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
The_Blur

No one here likes CAFE. This is something everyone should be signing.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Signed
Old 01-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Hopper
Chevy Lifer

Drives: '13 Caddy ATS, '10 2SS/RS ABM M6
Signed...
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
I think you are looking for the word catalyst rather than enzyme.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
There is one problem.......emissions equals fuel economy.

Europe is regulating CO2 and it is the same effect.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There is one problem.......emissions equals fuel economy.

Europe is regulating CO2 and it is the same effect.
Mpg and emissions are intrinsically related, of course, but wouldn't focusing on emissions allow for more flexibility in engineering?

I'm thinking about diesel after-treatment systems...and a clause that would recognize emissions-neutral fuels (of the future)...
Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Mpg and emissions are intrinsically related, of course, but wouldn't focusing on emissions allow for more flexibility in engineering?

I'm thinking about diesel after-treatment systems...and a clause that would recognize emissions-neutral fuels (of the future)...
Emissions are simply a result of burning fuel. We are way past Cat Converor for simple add ons.

Simy look at Europe. They don't have FE rules. They have emission rules. I was told in Europe their current emissions rule are way higher than our current CAFE.

Diesel after treatment is for particulates and eurea injection for NOX. Both controlled or non existent for gas engine technology.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Emissions are simply a result of burning fuel. We are way past Cat Converor for simple add ons.

Simy look at Europe. They don't have FE rules. They have emission rules. I was told in Europe their current emissions rule are way higher than our current CAFE.

Diesel after treatment is for particulates and eurea injection for NOX. Both controlled or non existent for gas engine technology.
Hmm...that's not good....
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
I think you are looking for the word catalyst rather than enzyme.
This guy is not a chemist.

Either way, the message is clear. I want a system measuring total emissions based on quality and mass emitted instead of a system measuring how far you can go on a gallon of gas.

One way or another, we need to evaluate the damage caused by emissions. If we can eliminate the CAFE rules, maybe we'll be forced to increase regulation on real polluters, like industry, and start allowing Americans to buy cars of whatever fuel economy we want. That is the capitalistic way.

Ultimately, this petition is not a guarantee of policy change. It is a request for feedback from the Office of the President. We are not on track to get any feedback with the signatures we have received so far. If you expect change, you have to act. With all the posts scared of losing the V8 sometime in the future, I'd expect more votes, but I guess some guys would rather complain.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This guy is not a chemist.

Either way, the message is clear. I want a system measuring total emissions based on quality and mass emitted instead of a system measuring how far you can go on a gallon of gas.

One way or another, we need to evaluate the damage caused by emissions. If we can eliminate the CAFE rules, maybe we'll be forced to increase regulation on real polluters, like industry, and start allowing Americans to buy cars of whatever fuel economy we want. That is the capitalistic way.

Ultimately, this petition is not a guarantee of policy change. It is a request for feedback from the Office of the President. We are not on track to get any feedback with the signatures we have received so far. If you expect change, you have to act. With all the posts scared of losing the V8 sometime in the future, I'd expect more votes, but I guess some guys would rather complain.
Increase regulation on industry? Really? Do you have any idea how over regulated much of our industry is? I should say how over regulated it was as the most heavily regulated ones are nearly non-existent now. Read up on the plating industry sometime for example. Sure, regulations are a necessary evil but as long as there are countries with fewer regulations, each new regulation made in the interest of protecting someone or something will always cost some people their jobs.