Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #2633
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
They’ll get a GT, which is nice, and is a driver’s race with any Camaro SS. Or, heaven forbid, they’ll get an M6 GT and trail the pack.
I had to drive from AZ to Moberly, Missouri to get my Mustang. Manual too. And I don't look at Camaro tail lights ever!!! ....I look at the rear quarter panel, and I close my eyes if and when they pass me lol
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #2634
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

I get your point and I do agree that if the goal was to have the absolute best quarter mile between the GT and SS, then you can walk into a Ford dealership and buy a GT that would be faster than any SS stock for stock and based on magazine times. I also believe than the Mustang GT is a better quarter mile vehicle than the Camaro SS. But to me the thing is that with the GT you can either get one with very high marks in the quarter mile (GT*) or one with very good track capabilities (GT PP2) but not both. The quarter mile version will suck around a track. The track version will suck at the quarter mile. However with the Camaro you are getting a car that although it is not the best in one area, it also does not suck in any area. The SS A8 is great in a straight line AND good around a track. The SLE is great around a track AND good in a straight line. If you gave points to each car, the GT would have higher points in one area or another depending on the trim while the SS would have more points when you tally them all together in any trim.
I don't want to get in between your guys' weiner measuring contest, but I was under the impression that stock for stock, the A10 GT and A10 SS both ran the same times, which is high 11s. Also, I think you guys have lost sight of just how good the modern Camaro and Mustang are around a track. The Camaro is a world class performer, but that doesn't mean the Mustang sucks, it's just not as good as a car they compare to GT3s and McLarens. 1LE and the GT350 are in a league of their own, not to mention the ZL1, but even a regular GT is still a very good performing car.

You guys may now resume your war of individual preferences
Old 07-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #2635
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I don't want to get in between your guys' weiner measuring contest, but I was under the impression that stock for stock, the A10 GT and A10 SS both ran the same times, which is high 11s. Also, I think you guys have lost sight of just how good the modern Camaro and Mustang are around a track. The Camaro is a world class performer, but that doesn't mean the Mustang sucks, it's just not as good as a car they compare to GT3s and McLarens. 1LE and the GT350 are in a league of their own, not to mention the ZL1, but even a regular GT is still a very good performing car.

I don’t care what anybody says, I’ve driven both. Mustang has the motor, camaro has the chassis.

Revving a coyote out is so much more enjoyable than revving an lt1 out. It’s not even close. The coyote belongs in a much more expensive car. It would be at home in something like an Aston martin or some other expensive sports car.

But as soon as you take a turn the camaro chassis makes the mustang feel like an economy car. Just as the coyote belongs in an exotic, the camaro chassis does too. I also drove the cts and ats, they really made me understand what’s so great about the chassis. I feel like you could throw any suspension and tires you wanted to on any alpha chassis and it would still be amazing.

The camaro is better built for sure too. I’ve driven an extremely abused ‘16 and I was astounded how it still felt like a slab of granite. Not sure if that has to do with screwing it better together, or the lack of chassis flex. I haven’t driven an extremely abused new mustang, but have driven a few older coyotes and they are so ratty and loose.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #2636
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I had to drive from AZ to Moberly, Missouri to get my Mustang. Manual too. And I don't look at Camaro tail lights ever!!! ....I look at the rear quarter panel, and I close my eyes if and when they pass me lol

Quote:

Old 07-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #2637
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
I don’t care what anybody says, I’ve driven both. Mustang has the motor, camaro has the chassis.

Revving a coyote out is so much more enjoyable than revving an lt1 out. It’s not even close. The coyote belongs in a much more expensive car. It would be at home in something like an Aston martin or some other expensive sports car.

But as soon as you take a turn the camaro chassis makes the mustang feel like an economy car. Just as the coyote belongs in an exotic, the camaro chassis does too. I also drove the cts and ats, they really made me understand what’s so great about the chassis. I feel like you could throw any suspension and tires you wanted to on any alpha chassis and it would still be amazing.

The camaro is better built for sure too. I’ve driven an extremely abused ‘16 and I was astounded how it still felt like a slab of granite. Not sure if that has to do with screwing it better together, or the lack of chassis flex. I haven’t driven an extremely abused new mustang, but have driven a few older coyotes and they are so ratty and loose.
Well said sir!
Old 07-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #2638
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:

I have to agree. These two machines, all the while scrapping it out with one another, have progressed farther than ANYONE would have given them even a decade ago.

It's at a point now, that cars, at a glance, that should have no business being in their crosshairs, definitely are. We bicker mindlessly about who's first or second at this or that, that we've sort of lost sight about the company these cars now keep.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #2639
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
With the Mustang, you have to choose one or the other. Do you want a car that can handle very well or do you want a car that does the quarter mile very well. You can't have both. EVen then the cars have to be optioned a certain way. With the Camaro you get everything in one package. It handles really good, it is really good in the quarter mile, and there are no special modes, options, etc that need to be ordered. And in the case of the higher tier trim levels it is even more drastic. The ZL1 is a top performer everywhere whereas the GT350R costed more money but was not good in the quarter mile AND couldn't beat the ZL1 around a track which was supposed to be the R's specialty. The GT500 at MSRP will be faster in the quarter mile. But by how much and will it be worth the extra $10K? And we have to see if it'll be faster around a track. Again, it took an extra 10 Gs to get that kind of performance.

So yea while performance in one area might be very similar you will start to see a different story when you look at everything as a whole.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #2640
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
With the Mustang, you have to choose one or the other. Do you want a car that can handle very well or do you want a car that does the quarter mile very well. You can't have both. EVen then the cars have to be optioned a certain way. With the Camaro you get everything in one package. It handles really good, it is really good in the quarter mile, and there are no special modes, options, etc that need to be ordered. And in the case of the higher tier trim levels it is even more drastic. The ZL1 is a top performer everywhere whereas the GT350R costed more money but was not good in the quarter mile AND couldn't beat the ZL1 around a track which was supposed to be the R's specialty. The GT500 at MSRP will be faster in the quarter mile. But by how much and will it be worth the extra $10K? And we have to see if it'll be faster around a track. Again, it took an extra 10 Gs to get that kind of performance.

So yea while performance in one area might be very similar you will start to see a different story when you look at everything as a whole.
What gets me is not only you needing to choose 1/4 mile or handling but there is always something left out I feel like should be standard equipment. Having to add coolers to a car with Cup 2s is dumb. Having to option in drag mode on a base model car with a package of stuff I dont want in a car I only want for 1320 racing is also dumb.

Looking at the GT500, I hope this problem is fixed but honesty I'm shopping the C8 now anyway. I doubt I would ever own another Mustang.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #2641
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
What gets me is not only you needing to choose 1/4 mile or handling but there is always something left out I feel like should be standard equipment. Having to add coolers to a car with Cup 2s is dumb. Having to option in drag mode on a base model car with a package of stuff I dont want in a car I only want for 1320 racing is also dumb.

Looking at the GT500, I hope this problem is fixed but honesty I'm shopping the C8 now anyway. I doubt I would ever own another Mustang.
What is this drag mode option you guys keep talking about?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #2642
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
It comes on only the handful of GTs that are faster than the SS Camaro in a straight line.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #2643
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
On the GT with the A10 and the 301a or 401a that adds driving modes you get the drag mode. Which is supposed to deliver maximum torque at all times.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #2644
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post

I agree the Gen 3 Coyote definitely has an exotic flare to it. 7,500 rpm in a DOHC V8 is nice.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #2645
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Have seen a couple people that don’t normally post BS say they’ve heard this monster has dyno’d 680-690...

Also, there was some talk it outran the Ford GT at VIR with Billy Johnson driving.

If those end up to be true, holy hell!
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #2646
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Have seen a couple people that don’t normally post BS say they’ve heard this monster has dyno’d 680-690...

Also, there was some talk it outran the Ford GT at VIR with Billy Johnson driving.

If those end up to be true, holy hell!
Which car are you talking about? The GT500? ZR1?? The only cars I know of that consistently dyno in that range bone stock are Hellcats and Redeyes. But they ain't outrunning a Ford GT. And I doubt anyone has dynoed a 2020 GT500 yet. I also doubt it could outrun a Ford GT.