Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #43
Abundant Meat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickskier View Post
Have you read the scenario's of why the GM decided to change the key FOB? It's mainly because tall preson's knees could accidentally hit the key FOB while in the ignition and turn the engine off causing loss of power steering & power brakes.

So if you're not tall (which I'm not) I wouldn't worry about it......
They must be gargantuan tall. I'm 6'3" and my knees are nowhere near the fob. I think the switchblade key adds to the cool factor for the Camaro. It lets me pretend I'm a bada$$ for a few seconds lol.
Abundant Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #44
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I got the letter, its sitting on my desk waiting to go into the trash

My Cruze has the same key and honestly I feel like it would be easier for my knee to hit the key in that car when compared to the camaro.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #45
fussboss

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22385 View Post
The way the dealer explained it to me made some sense! If you are in an accident and being bounced around, your knee could hit the key. This will cause you to possibly lose brakes, steering, and the benefit of airbags. If I refuse the recall, the dealer wants be to sign off on paperwork that releases GM of liability. I haven't committed yet, but I can see a safety issue. I will probably get it done!
That can still happen after the fix... so ya.
fussboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #46
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Well, I plan to get 2 more blanks and have a locksmith or a car repair place do it.

About the whole recall deal-eo, well I was driving up to 98/mph, I still here. I have also done my fair share of spirited braking(mostly in 2nd). Not a darned thing! I didn't figure it was how tall you were, I believe it to be more spirited driving more than anything else. I plan to be a little more mindful of the key in the ignition from now on. They also told me that the part was in. Screw that!

I'm more worried about the other two recalls, the recent seat bolt one and the usb convenience/device module one.

I also saw the keyless entry fob for the '95 on ebay. Would I need to reprogram the fob? Thanks,
Troy Lawson
Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 AM   #47
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I just wanted to put this out there, a guy in our local club just picked up a 2015 and it has the same key fob. The dealership still seperates them as per the recall. I think it's absolutely atrocious that GM wouldn't even make a potential fix for the half @$$ed keyfob in a new year! It's ridiculous that they wouldn't have someone redesign the fob, or the ignition They could have easily put a locking ignition in and made you push the key in, in order to turn it.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #48
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
The fix is SUPER CHEESEY! But what can I expect?? I was going to get it done but I'm not carrying a broken Fob as the repair. I just had my oil changed at the dealer and they didn't say a word. What next we'll be 3d printing new fobs???
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #49
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
The fix is SUPER CHEESEY! But what can I expect?? I was going to get it done but I'm not carrying a broken Fob as the repair. I just had my oil changed at the dealer and they didn't say a word. What next we'll be 3d printing new fobs???

At least give us a new case without the space missing! Seriously it's stupid. Or even a door key incase the battery dies. Make the negative into a positive
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #50
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
I will probably get mine done. They have seen cases of the key causing a safety concern. Would hate to be the one in a thousand that has a problem, especially if wife or some one else is driving, would also have trouble living with any injury to other persons or vehicles. There is always the concern with the possibility of my auto insurance declining coverage for not participating in recall.

Of course it is up to the owner to decide if he will participate or not.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #51
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
I will probably get mine done. They have seen cases of the key causing a safety concern. Would hate to be the one in a thousand that has a problem, especially if wife or some one else is driving, would also have trouble living with any injury to other persons or vehicles. There is always the concern with the possibility of my auto insurance declining coverage for not participating in recall.

I agree. While my knee may not be close to the key while normally driving, I could totally see it hitting it if I'm reaching for something in the back seat or on the passenger floor.

Those of you that are not concerned about your insurance denying a claim have yet to see how lawyers function, they do everything and anything to win a case, especially if a death is involved.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #52
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post

I don't think the odds are anywhere near that high for good drivers, more like 1 in 100,000 perhaps, probably even lower than that.

And then only a fraction of those people would panic and not know how to handle the situation, I would hope most of us would just restart the car and keep driving.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #53
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I tried to touch the key with my knee while driving, it was physically impossible for me to do this so they can go pound sand, I am keeping things the way they came from the factory.

One of the stupidest recalls I have ever seen.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #54
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
I can touch the fob with my knee. I e tried and tried and can't turn it off...probably because I don't have a bunch of junk hanging off it.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #55
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
Audi/VW and Mazda also have the almost identical key fobs, not sure why the camaro was targeted.

unless you were handcuffed and dragged to the dealer, it is your own fault for participating in this foolish charade!

I have never had a problem with the key but there is a You Tube video that shows how you can turn off the ignition with your knee if you try hard enough. My knee never get within 5" of the key.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #56
zcngxzcfgthfh

Drives: ford
I didn't like the key in the fob. With respect to recalls, I figure better safe than sorry.
zcngxzcfgthfh is offline   Reply With Quote