The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 09-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
cobra502

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51
Why Does This Have To Be A Roller Coaster?

I have thought hard about whether I should send this message out and decided I needed to do it. I have been on this roller coaster ride with hundreds of you since June 14th watching and reading about all the misfortunes of others. Now it’s my turn. The first couple of months were as expected, sitting at 1100 waiting for something to happen. On September 5th I reached 3300 and by September 14th I was at 3400. Up till then, I had relied on some great people on several forums to give us updates on our orders and to help us keep things in perspective. On September 15th I contacted the Customer Assistance Center to find out if they had a TPW and VIN number yet. I was told they could not get that information until Monday and they would call me back. On September 16th, I did get a call and was told I had a TPW of 09/16/13 but no VIN number. As of today, September 18th, having tried for two days to get tracking information from Chevrolet’s website, I, like many of you, kept getting some weird message “The details for your specific order number are not available at this time. Please check back soon…”. So, I decided to call the Customer Assistance Center” to find out what was happening. I reached a person there who was rude and condescending and continued to question me as to why I’m not contacting my dealer. After explaining to this person that all I have ever heard from my dealer was “we don’t know anything, they won’t tell us anything” many times I decided this was not the correct route to information. Reluctantly, this person finally checked it out and about 20 minutes later came back to me and said that my car has been “accepted for production” and did not get any information about a TPW or VIN number as I had asked. That was the end of that. This evening I get a call from the CAC person who gave me the original information stating that “things have changed” and that my car is in fact “accepted for production” but there now is no TPW or VIN number. This person could not say whether my car will be built next week, next month or next year. This person could not tell what had changed, was there a constraint involved, and proceeded to say “maybe your dealer can tell you”. End of that conversation.

Why have I bored you with my sad story? There are many stories I have read that are similar to this one. This is basically aimed at those of you sitting at 1100, wondering why your still there. Please don’t get so wrapped up in this process like so many of us have and continue to ride the roller coaster. You’ve got a long way to go.

I’m not going to sit here and bad mouth GM/Chevrolet. This is not an easy task to pull off. What I am disappointed in is their inability to interface with customers (and their dealers too) to give us honest and timely information, both general and to individuals, about the process and not hide behind the rumors that have flown in our faces for months.

If I have offended any of you with my thoughts about this process, I apologize.
cobra502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I do hope I minimize my offense by pointing out that a wall of words does not a communication make.

Ordering a new start is a roller coaster ride and if anyone told you otherwise that person flat out lied, either from ignorance or from malicious intent.

All new starts progress in just the way you described. If such progressed in the fashion you desire, where would the fun be? No roller coaster ride experience is completely predictable and if you wanted predictable, why in heaven's name did you do a pre-order?

You did not offend me but I accept your apology in the spirit given.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Laborsmith is right. You have to expect this type of wait when you're pre-ordering a car that's entering a new generation. It doesn't matter whether it's Chevy, Ford or Toyota. GM has to make sure that they're as close to perfect as possible before they release them. I'd rather wait a little longer for a car that's perfect than get a car that's doesn't stop when you hit the brake pedal.

You'll get your new Stingray soon, and I guarantee it will be worth the wait and drama
Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Thanks for your catharsis. You let it out in a civil way, we understand. The roller coaster will give to the RIDE we're all waiting for.
REVVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
I understand your situation and empathize with you.

What I would do is, if contacting the salesman who usually does not have access to GM Workbench does not work, contact the Sales Manager or Inventory manager of your dealership the IM can access your order in Workbench and give you all the information any forum or Customer service can, in real time.

More than likely you are paying MSRP and the dealer is making a good profit, why not have them earn their money.

I really don’t understand why a dealer won’t provide this information to a customer, I can see some salesmen not understanding the system, but the GSM or IM should. I can walk in to my dealer and sit down with the IM and see my order.

I don’t know how close you are with your dealer, but I would escalate it to a higher level within the dealership.

Bottom line your car is at 3400 it will be built soon and transported to your dealer, at that point you will be a happy camper.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
JoeG

Drives: 2014 Corvette Laguna Blue Z51
The day you sit in the drivers seat of your new Stingray and press that start button the roller coaster ride will have been worth it.
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
GreenC7Z-51

Drives: '04 C5 Z06 Le Mans, '14 C7 Z51
I think I talked to that same guy... Why aren't you calling your dealer, he snaps...
I've heard everything from customer service, TPW Sept. 23, it was being built last week, and now it's in line for production, no TPW. No Ser. #...
Hopefully they will notice that their system is not working, and make some changes.

Till then enjoy the ride! I got an early C5 and its so much fun when it comes! This car is so much better, you will be on a cloud for months with your C7 !
GreenC7Z-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Another thing to keep in mind: doing a retail sold pre-order can be addicting in case you have not noticed the number of posters who have experienced the ride previous to their ordering the C7.

Just thought I would caution you so you can be aware a few years down the road.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Its a bumpy ride big follower. I too am at 3400 but I do have a VIN # 1530. I simple chatted twice a day till I got it. Seems as if the 5 people that are there between 7 pm eastern time to 9 pm are the smartest. Keith is really good. I know your frustration this is my third pre order with a new body style car. Its a rough ride hang in there. Im just glad we don't have a timer on here stating how much time we spend on the forums starring at info and begging someone with that glimpse of the next step. Its as addicting as alcohol. Again my advice from above times and chat are good. Try that tonight.

I also understand you don't want to call your dealer daily because he want know either. Not his fault GM want tell him either.

Simple fix is a corvette hotline and chatline with real info for real corvette people.