The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 12-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
1stcorvette

Drives: None at present
Should I leave the front wrap on?

I live 500 miles from the dealership that will be delivering my C7 and I was wondering if I should leave the hood an front bumper covered with the white wrap from BG? It would protect it, I assume, while I am on my trip home.

The down side is that I wouldn't be able to inspect that area prior to leaving the dealership.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Steve
1stcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Second Vette

Drives: 2011 Mustang
Is the front covering a separate piece, or is it attached like a regular Car Cover?
I think the dealer removes it to do the Prep anyway, so you should be able to check out the front of the Car. Not sure how it would reattach. If any part of it loops under the hood, it could interfere with the drive belt or any other moving parts. Also might block the Hood Vent, not sure.

Maybe you should look into the spray on clear bra kit. The Dealer may be able to do it for you I would assume. Have no idea what the kit costs, but I think others here use it.

Last edited by Second Vette; 12-15-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added content.
Second Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Rip it off, and drive the car. I had a 100 mile trip back to my house after I picked mine up. You can apply a nice wash, wax, seal, etc if it gets dirty.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
I'm with Gunny G! Take the cover off, inspect it properly, and drive home! I drove 350+ miles from the Museum to my home, and not a nick in the paint. Besides, the transport cover is for just that, transport. It is not a heavy material like a car bra or typical cover. It's more like Tyvek house wrap or a CD sleeve than a real cover. Also, while there are a few holes at the grill location sufficient for the little bit of driving necessary for loading and unloading from trucks, they are no where near sufficient for cooling at highway speeds. The last thing you want to do is overheat the engine while trying to protect the paint!

If you're worried about paint chips, there are a number of temporary clear bras that either spray on or apply like tape available from local auto parts stores and online. For a moderate price, you can do most of the car well enough to get home and get Xpel installed. Or just drive it - I have 4100 miles of daily driving, including in the snow, and no paint nicks yet!
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Plastidip, painters tape or nothing...your choice - all will work...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
1stcorvette

[QUOTE=purpleRac3r;7263669]I'm with Gunny G! Take the cover off, inspect it properly, and drive home! I drove 350+ miles from the Museum to my home, and not a nick in the paint. Besides, the transport cover is for just that, transport. It is not a heavy material like a car bra or typical cover. It's more like Tyvek house wrap or a CD sleeve than a real cover. Also, while there are a few holes at the grill location sufficient for the little bit of driving necessary for loading and unloading from trucks, they are no where near sufficient for cooling at highway speeds. The last thing you want to do is overheat the engine while trying to protect the paint!

I never gave a thought of the film covering the vents, thanks for the reminder. that's exactly why I asked the question.

And painters tape, Glen, clever. I knew you would have a good thought. Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Tprefo

Drives: 2012 GS Conv and 2014 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stcorvette View Post
I live 500 miles from the dealership that will be delivering my C7 and I was wondering if I should leave the hood an front bumper covered with the white wrap from BG? It would protect it, I assume, while I am on my trip home.

The down side is that I wouldn't be able to inspect that area prior to leaving the dealership.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Steve
Ship it on an enclosed carrier !!!! just kidding. Take the film off and drive it man. You'll be fine.
Tprefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Steve
If you're this worried about the first 500 miles, what are you going to do about the next 100,000+ miles?

Drive it and don't worry about it, man!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
Drive it and don't worry. I made a 350 mile trip from the dealer in October. No damage. Had Xpel clear bra applied right away. Great advice from you fellows for Steve. Just in case you get a chip, Dr. Colorchip will make it disappear! I've used it on my wife's and son's cars with great success. I got Velocity Yellow for my Vette when the inevitable happens. It really works once you get the touch up technique down.
REVVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Bobbykart

Drives: 1973 DeTomaso Pantera
Be VERY careful taking the white cover off . I told my dealer to leave it on and don't remove any of the plastic also. The cover is very tight wrapped and collects lots of pebbles, use care, don't trust the dealer to remove it
Bobbykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #11
1stcorvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbykart View Post
Be VERY careful taking the white cover off . I told my dealer to leave it on and don't remove any of the plastic also. The cover is very tight wrapped and collects lots of pebbles, use care, don't trust the dealer to remove it
After reading your post and the others that tell me not to let the dealer wash and detail it, it sounds like I have to be there when it gets off the transport truck
Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
it sounds like I have to be there when it gets off the transport truck
Honestly, that's what a lot of people do.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
1stcorvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Honestly, that's what a lot of people do.
That's what I'll try to do then, thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Just keep everything in perspective.....many of these cars are being delivered by competent dealer staff that know how to take off the cover, be vigilant but not paranoid. Question your sales manager , not just your sales guy. Don't have them detail it, tale it home and pm me and I'll send you some ez detailing instructions.

Last edited by Glen e; 12-18-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote