Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10;57t98078
awesome design guys. will yall be making one that doesnt have the vent for the brake? just a scoop that directs the flow all to the air box?
That's the beauty of this design-if you want the air to go to the air intake instead of the brakes, just move the adjusting lever to the "air intake" position.

To clarify the design, there is one adjustable baffle or interior wall which is installed vertically inside the duct. It is mounted to a vertical shaft which is the hinging point. The hinge location is the small silver circle in the pic below. (Notice there is a slight bend in baffle at the hinging point) Think of the interior wall as a trap door you can swing one way allowing the air to go to the brakes or you can swing it the other way which effectively blocks the brake duct and channels the air out the top opening of the duct straight to our air box.
The dotted line represents the interior wall location when adjusted to the extremities. When set at the "air intake" position, you can see the wall blocks off the brake duct while directing the air to the opening feeding the air intake.

Mike

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 11-16-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
There is a neutral position that allows air to both right?
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #31
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
There is a neutral position that allows air to both right?
As it turns out, the neutral position is the "brake duct" position. Here's why... Due to the size of our duct, the air box is still receiving some air while our brake duct is flowing appr. the same as the stock duct. Our picture is innacurate in that we have found the inner vertical wall doesn't need to rotate as far to the "brake duct" side in order to achieve the stock flow.

To simplify, here's how our two position adjustment prototype distributes the incoming air:

"Air intake" position- appr. 95% of air to air box, 5% to brakes (virtually no brake duct)

"Brake duct" position-appr. same air to brake duct as stock, 50% air to air box (this is 50% of air to the filter as compared to the "Air intake" position)

We originally planned on three positions; however, our testing shows the third position (full brake duct-no air intake) isn't necessary. There is no need to flow more air to the brakes than stock or more than the other side. The two position unit makes it simple-either you have the brake duct at appr. full capacity or you don't have a brake duct and all of the air is channeled to the intake system. This makes sense because you mostly likely either need brake cooling or you don't-depending on driving conditions. In either position, the air intake is receiving substancially more air.

Mike

Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #32
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
That's the beauty of this design-if you want the air to go to the air intake instead of the brakes, just move the adjusting lever to the "air intake" position.

To clarify the design, there is one adjustable baffle or interior wall which is installed vertically inside the duct. It is mounted to a vertical shaft which is the hinging point. The hinge location is the small silver circle in the pic below. (Notice there is a slight bend in baffle at the hinging point) Think of the interior wall as a trap door you can swing one way allowing the air to go to the brakes or you can swing it the other way which effectively blocks the brake duct and channels the air out the top opening of the duct straight to our air box.
The dotted line represents the interior wall location when adjusted to the extremities. When set at the "air intake" position, you can see the wall blocks off the brake duct while directing the air to the opening feeding the air intake.

ah, now i understand
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
ah, now i understand
We will be posting a video on youtube showing the details of the Big Gulp. Hopefully we can tackle it this weekend.

Mike

Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #34
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
My winter time mods are growing!
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #35
ace32x

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
My winter time mods are growing!
+1. Went from a catch can to intake and a catch can. And now intake catch can the big gulp and long tube headers with green cats XD
ace32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #36
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
Good explanation. Look forward to getting one when you guys get into production. Keep us posted the video is definitely going to be a plus.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #37
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Hurry Up, Roto-Fab! I wanna make sure I have something under the tree this year.

RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #38
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Hurry Up, Roto-Fab! I wanna make sure I have something under the tree this year.

We are progressing on it! We have finalized the design on the moving parts and we're ready to proceed with drawings. We did go with the two position design which is explained in one of our most recent posts on this thread. The video should be up this weekend showing the installation and explaining the operation and benefits.

Mike

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 11-16-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #39
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
+1. Went from a catch can to intake and a catch can. And now intake catch can the big gulp and long tube headers with green cats XD
Why headers and not a pulley swap? Headers require a tune
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #40
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Looks great guys!
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #41
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I currently have your CAI kit for a 2010 SS with a Whipple Supercharger. I am in the process of retrofitting several OEM ZL1 parts to my SS. Can this piece be retrofitted to an SS?

If so, I would like to order one. I was actually about to order the ADM race scoop.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #42
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
I currently have your CAI kit for a 2010 SS with a Whipple Supercharger. I am in the process of retrofitting several OEM ZL1 parts to my SS. Can this piece be retrofitted to an SS?

If so, I would like to order one. I was actually about to order the ADM race scoop.
Yes, as long as you are installing the OEM ZL1 inner fender and front fascia.

Jeremiah