Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
Carfax different than Autocheck?

Im looking at getting a 2011 Camaro SS. The dealer supplied a Autocheck report which looks good but ive read that the carfax could possibly be different? Any truth to this?
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Yes, I got screwed by Autocheck. An Autocheck was supplied with a car I bought. Looked great. About 2 years later I thought about selling it so I pulled a Carfax to show potential buyers. Carfax reported an accident that didnt show up on Autocheck. Id pull both if I were you.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
$30 carfax is worth it, it's dirt-cheap insurance.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Just a little FYI - Even a Carfax doesn't show all wrecks that could have happened in a particular car. Just wrecks that were fixed at a participating dealer. I have a good friend that's been in the car selling business for over 20 years, and he says that a Carfax can't guarantee you an accident free car. To me, it's still important to at least see it before I buy. I demanded the Carfax on my last 3 used vehicle purchases, but I do know that it doesn't guarantee an accident free vehicle. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on this very forum that have probably found that out the hard way after buying a used Camaro.

Don't let that scare you off, though. Just remember to thoroughly inspect the car before purchasing for any loose fitting parts or possible repainted areas.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Carfax can shed more light on that 1-owner (manufacturer, rental company, etc)
imo -Autocheck seems slanted in dealers' favor
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Always run both. Some things get reported to one that doesn't get reported to the other and vice versa.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
fish907

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Carfax can shed more light on that 1-owner (manufacturer, rental company, etc)
imo -Autocheck seems slanted in dealers' favor
Autocheck will show what kind of registration was on the vehicle (individual, government, fleet/lease/rental), as well. I don't think it's slanted at all, it's just that there can be items on one that may not show up on the other. It all has to do with participating agencies and to whom they report.
fish907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Just a little FYI - Even a Carfax doesn't show all wrecks that could have happened in a particular car. Just wrecks that were fixed at a participating dealer. I have a good friend that's been in the car selling business for over 20 years, and he says that a Carfax can't guarantee you an accident free car. To me, it's still important to at least see it before I buy. I demanded the Carfax on my last 3 used vehicle purchases, but I do know that it doesn't guarantee an accident free vehicle. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on this very forum that have probably found that out the hard way after buying a used Camaro.

Don't let that scare you off, though. Just remember to thoroughly inspect the car before purchasing for any loose fitting parts or possible repainted areas.
If the accident has not been reported to the Insurance then no record of the accident. This as happened twice to me when buying used cars, even with both checks. Just an FYI. If in doubt get it inspected through an independent mechanic.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post

Thats not quite true (about the repairs), I use to work for Carfax...

The way it works is Carfax gets data from various places (Insurance claims, police reports, DMV, Jiffy Lube, etc...).

If you happen to be in one of those places where the police reports were not done right (remember its a human marking down the VIN) and your insurance doesn't sell its data to Carfax, then it is very possible a car with an accident can get by the reporting services.

Its also very possible to never make a claim/police report and have the repairs done by yourself and it never get reported.

Both Autocheck and Carfax get their data from the same sources, Carfax just happen to be the trailblazer in getting that data released (believe me when I worked there it was a pain to get some data in some places), it is how they interpret the data is what makes it valuable.

I can remember working on the Wyoming Accident data, it was amazing how many different spellings of Moose would come along...
Mortious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortious View Post
Thats not quite true (about the repairs), I use to work for Carfax...

The way it works is Carfax gets data from various places (Insurance claims, police reports, DMV, Jiffy Lube, etc...).

If you happen to be in one of those places where the police reports were not done right (remember its a human marking down the VIN) and your insurance doesn't sell its data to Carfax, then it is very possible a car with an accident can get by the reporting services.

Its also very possible to never make a claim/police report and have the repairs done by yourself and it never get reported.

Both Autocheck and Carfax get their data from the same sources, Carfax just happen to be the trailblazer in getting that data released (believe me when I worked there it was a pain to get some data in some places), it is how they interpret the data is what makes it valuable.

I can remember working on the Wyoming Accident data, it was amazing how many different spellings of Moose would come along...
Yes, basically correct. I know that I hit a deer with a car, not my Camaro thank God........anyways, I fixed it myself with a friend's body shop's help and never turned it into insurance as the fix done by myself and friend was under the deductible, even though damn deer took out the front grill, right headlight and part of front fender. So nobody has a record of it, not even me except in my memory.

Also, you can get the VIN and take it to a dlr's service dept and ask them to run it for you, as that would cover ALL visits to any dealer's service dept, whether covered by warranty or not. They can also tell you of any unserviced recalls.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Mortious
Ammo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3 M6)
The whole idea behind Carfax was giving someone a single place to check to see if a car was ever salvaged.

Way back when (10 or so years ago) you could take a salvaged title to Ohio, register it and remove that salvage.

While you could still call all 50 states and run a DMV history, most people didn't and those salvaged cars were making their way back into the used car market.

With the advent of electronic records, all being tracked by the VIN the decision was made to make Carfax a "one stop shop" for vehicle history, as always Carax could never know everything but it was better than the alternative.

I worked with the founder of Carfax when I first started (back in '97) the man is brilliant and created Carfax to make people aware of the salvaged (not safe) cars that were being sold as clean.

So yes, run both, compare them and if you are still unsure, bring the car to a trusted mechanic and put it on the lift. That "great deal" isn't worth your life.
Mortious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Carfax different than Autocheck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish907 View Post
Autocheck will show what kind of registration was on the vehicle (individual, government, fleet/lease/rental), as well. I don't think it's slanted at all, it's just that there can be items on one that may not show up on the other. It all has to do with participating agencies and to whom they report.
I am basing this on actual experience when dozens of preproduction ZL1s hit the market as used cars those free online AutoCheck reports omitted the fact they were manufacturer owned. Carfax listed them manufacturer owned.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
Any1 get carfax on here? Or point me in direction to get it cheaper than $40. I know that it's not a lot on the scheme of things but figured id ask first
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote