The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
GM Relocating Performance Build Center to Bowling Green

Announced 1/30
Quote:
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – General Motors will relocate its Performance Build Center, which allows engine aficionados to build their own specialty engines, from Michigan to the Bowling Green Assembly Plant, home of the Chevrolet Corvette.

The move, backed by a $3.5 million investment and slated for the first quarter of 2014, was part of a consolidation of GM Powertrain engineering sites.

The Performance Build Center has been the source for the 6.2L LS3 V8 engine, which powers the Corvette Grand Sport Coupe manual version; the 7.0L LS7 V8 engine for the Corvette Z06 and the 6.2L Supercharged LS9 engine for the Corvette ZR1.

The move will eventually allow Corvette customers to combine the experience of watching their Corvette being assembled with participating in the build of their vehicle’s high-performance engine. Details on which engines would be available for customer assembly will be announced in the future.

“This is exciting news for the Corvette Assembly Plant and the community of Bowling Green,” said plant manager Dave Tatman. “We host thousands of guests each year, many of whom are here to see their Corvette being built. Bringing the Performance Build Center here simply adds to the thrill of purchasing a Corvette and increases satisfaction for our customers and employees."

In 2011, GM announced a $131 million investment for Bowling Green Assembly, including construction of a new body shop and renovations and upgrades throughout the facility. The improvements support production of the next-generation Corvette, which Chevrolet unveiled on Jan. 13, just before the opening of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
:rockon:

Sweet! Ken....road trip!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I always thought this feature was a cool option for Corvette buyers. A lot of people are unaware that they can put their hands on their incomplete engine as part of the build process. It's one of the most unique options in the automotive industry.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
WTH Chevy? Why is it that Chevy is going to allow tours of thier brand new top of the line sports car plant? I've been trying to get a tour of the Camaro plant in Canada since ordering a ZL1 last Feb 1st. All I get is crap answers. They aren't even having the buyers/builders party in Canada this year.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
:rockon:

Sweet! Ken....road trip!
I'm down with the

GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
WTH Chevy? Why is it that Chevy is going to allow tours of thier brand new top of the line sports car plant? I've been trying to get a tour of the Camaro plant in Canada since ordering a ZL1 last Feb 1st. All I get is crap answers. They aren't even having the buyers/builders party in Canada this year.
GM has always done plant tours at Bowling Green. Other facilities, not so much. And that includes Oshawa.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Beechdoctor

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
The Camaro plant is many times larger than BG and handles several models at one time....not practical to have us wandering around.

GM has dramtically cut back buyer/build access to Corvette following some visitors spouting off online about tightening hardware on the assembly line and pulling cars out in the yard after the treadmill and burning tires on their new cars....it almost killed it for everyone in 2009.

BG is an older, more quaint facillity, and GM almost certainly only keeps it open to us in such a unique way more out of habit and loyalty to the Corvette buyer. The museum operates the tours and has been able to keep the tours going....without that presence, Im certain GM would have halted this activity years ago to eliminate liability alone.
Beechdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
OctaneZ28
Camaro Disciple

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to OctaneZ28 Send a message via Yahoo to OctaneZ28
I love this!

This will make the BG Plant Tours that much better!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I plan on going sometime this year when the C7 starts production.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Gohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechdoctor View Post
The Camaro plant is many times larger than BG and handles several models at one time....not practical to have us wandering around.

GM has dramtically cut back buyer/build access to Corvette following some visitors spouting off online about tightening hardware on the assembly line and pulling cars out in the yard after the treadmill and burning tires on their new cars....it almost killed it for everyone in 2009.

BG is an older, more quaint facillity, and GM almost certainly only keeps it open to us in such a unique way more out of habit and loyalty to the Corvette buyer. The museum operates the tours and has been able to keep the tours going....without that presence, Im certain GM would have halted this activity years ago to eliminate liability alone.
Just takes a few knuckleheads to ruin it for everyone.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
LeMans
Got that Motown sound!

Drives: 2011 Audi S4
It's cool, and a bit inconvenient for me. I'll explain: It used to be in Wixom, MI, while not close it's closer to Detroit than Bowling Green. On the upside, it'll give me an excuse to visit the National Corvette Museum.
LeMans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Wixom was all about LSA and LS7 and the odd LS3 with dry sump for the Grand Sport. All hand built.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote