The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
McGregor vs Mayweather?

As far as I can tell, no one has made this thread yet surprisingly.

I'm not much of a follower of either boxing or MMA, but I do know I want to watch this fight. Of course it's all about the money, but it should be interesting as well.

I originally was going in unbiased and not caring who wins, but after watching the most recent press conference and seeing how McGregor spoke/acted, I'm not surprised people want to pay Mayweather so much to shut him up

Anyway, what is your thoughts and/or preferences on this bout?
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I think McGregor has a chance only after listening to how hesitant Mayweather was to return to the ring. ESPN interviewed him after the first press conference and he didn't seem like the Mayweather I've heard in the past. He knows he's past his prime, didn't want to train for this and honestly it just felt like he came back for the check and doesn't care if he wins or loses. Can't blame a guy for coming out of retirement for $100 million.

When Mayweather ran his mouth about not caring where it was, boxing ring or octagon, I just laughed and thought don't say that. He's one of the all-time great boxers but in an MMA bout he'd have no chance. Same thing should go the other way for McGregor but watching his training and knowing he can take a hit, he's got a chance. If they were using 4oz gloves instead of 10oz, I'd say McGregor would be the favorite.

I do believe if Mayweather wins, we could see more of these crossover matches between MMA and boxing. If Mayweather loses, then it will definitely hurt boxing more than it already is. MMA really has nothing to lose here, whereas boxing has everything to lose.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
McGregor has ZERO chance since it will be a boxing match.
What I can see might happen is that McGregor taking too many left jabs from Mayweather. McGregor gets frustrated then either goes for a take down or a kick to the head. McGregor gets disqualified and Mayweather in a lot of pain.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
McGregor has ZERO chance since it will be a boxing match.
What I can see might happen is that McGregor taking too many left jabs from Mayweather. McGregor gets frustrated then either goes for a take down or a kick to the head. McGregor gets disqualified and Mayweather in a lot of pain.
Funny I actually think the same thing is going to happen. I don't even think it will be a conscious decision that Conor will make.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
https://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/15/1...ick-mayweather

I think it's going to be like the ending of "Great White Hype." Unless Mayweather toys with him, I don't think McGregor has a chance with the speed difference.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
This fight is a total joke... PT Barnum, were he alive today, would be proud.

McGregor knows he has no chance. Mayweather knows McGregor has no chance. Anybody who knows anything about boxing knows McGregor has no chance. Yet both fighters are going to get $100 million ... which is what this is all about.

The only question in my mind is how much of a sadist is Mayweather. If he wanted to he could spend 12 rounds toying with McGregor much like a cat will keep a mouse alive so it can keep playing with it. Just for fun, he could turn McGregor's face into a bloody, swollen mess without hurting him enough for a TKO.

Call me cynical, but I actually think McGregor has made a deal with Mayweather for that not to happen.

Alternately... and even more cynically... I can see this fight being fixed so McGregor wins with a "lucky punch" so they can have a rematch and pocket another cool $100mil each.

This is just a money grab by both fighters... and who can blame them? In either of their shoes I'd do the same thing.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I think McGregor might actually have a chance.

McGregor is a "southpaw"... and Mayweather has trouble with them. McGregor is younger, and Mayweather has been sitting for 2 years! McGregor is going to get in to Mayweathers head, and feed on it.

I think it'll be an interesting fight...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
As far as I can tell, no one has made this thread yet surprisingly.

I'm not much of a follower of either boxing or MMA, but I do know I want to watch this fight. Of course it's all about the money, but it should be interesting as well.

I originally was going in unbiased and not caring who wins, but after watching the most recent press conference and seeing how McGregor spoke/acted, I'm not surprised people want to pay Mayweather so much to shut him up

Anyway, what is your thoughts and/or preferences on this bout?
I'm the same as you. lol

I'll be watching this fight as well.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
I think McGregor might actually have a chance.

McGregor is a "southpaw"... and Mayweather has trouble with them. McGregor is younger, and Mayweather has been sitting for 2 years! McGregor is going to get in to Mayweathers head, and feed on it.

I think it'll be an interesting fight...
Mayweather is 49-0. If he had trouble with southpaws he would have lost at some point.

Nobody to date has been able to hit him. That's why his fights are considered boring... nobody can touch him and he wins on points. If the best boxers in the world can't do it how is McGregor going to?

To Mayweather everything McGregor does is going to seem realllllly slow and telegraphed.

The ONLY chance McGregor has is if Mayweather doesn't bother to train because he thinks he is in better shape than he is.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
$89.95 to watch the 2nd biggest sporting joke in recent history? We're better off betting how many pages this silly a$$ thread will be debating this stupid a$$ fight.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #11
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
1! Woohoo I win!

This fight is a joke.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #12
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
$89.95 to watch the 2nd biggest sporting joke in recent history? We're better off betting how many pages this silly a$$ thread will be debating this stupid a$$ fight.
I agree, its all to take your money and get rich. no hype here, its a BS boxing match.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Mayweather is 49-0. If he had trouble with southpaws he would have lost at some point.

Nobody to date has been able to hit him. That's why his fights are considered boring... nobody can touch him and he wins on points. If the best boxers in the world can't do it how is McGregor going to?

To Mayweather everything McGregor does is going to seem realllllly slow and telegraphed.

The ONLY chance McGregor has is if Mayweather doesn't bother to train because he thinks he is in better shape than he is.
Unable to hit him? Shane Mosley in 2010 in Round 2, smack in the face that almost put him to the floor. If nobody is able to hit him... why does his face look the way it does after the matches?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
Iron Lung Jimmy

Well, since Mayweather once got hit so hard he almost went to the floor I may have to rethink my position.