The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Multi-Use Muscle Cars

In 2017 I was extremely excited to see the release of the ZL1 1LE. On paper I believed that the 1LE would have the same potential and multi-use race configurations, such as the 1969 ZL1, the 1969 Daytona or the 1970 Plymouth Superbird, (which some were released to compete in NASCAR but would also perform FACTORY UNRESTRICTED on the 1/4 Drags with a Manual Trans).

So I was envisioning that the M6 and A10 having a very little performance separation of no more than 3 Tenths in the 1/4 mile, with the 1LE being able to Challenge a Porsche GT Cup Car on the Road Track, (as I've seen a 2014 Z28 being a close second to the Porsche GT in SCCA and NASA TT's at less than 2/3's the cost). But now with the unresolved M6 BOG issue the performance is now lost.

I also was going to attempt to keep the 1LE factor and attempt a run in NHRA Stock Class.

But after seeing the vast diffreence in factory performance between the M6 and the A10 where the 1/4mi times are separated by almost 2 Seconds have me thinking twice, (as GM has now refused to correct the Bog issue and recent QC with aluminum corrosion is totally acceptable in a $70K+ Hi-Po Car.

So now my Dreams of having a TRUE Unrestricted GM Hi-PO ZL1 Manual is gone.

Last edited by PinHead; 02-17-2018 at 11:59 AM.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
So sell your ZL1 1LE and move on.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
In 2017 I was extremely excited to see the release of the ZL1 1LE. On paper I believed that the 1LE would have the same potential and multi-use race configurations, such as the 1969 ZL1, the 1969 Daytona or the 1970 Plymouth Superbird, (which some were released to compete in NASCAR but would also perform FACTORY UNRESTRICTED on the 1/4 Drags with a Manual Trans).

So I was envisioning that the M6 and A10 having a very little performance separation of no more than 3 Tenths in the 1/4 mile, with the 1LE being able to Challenge a Porsche GT Cup Car on the Road Track, (as I've seen a 2014 Z28 being a close second to the Porsche GT in SCCA and NASA TT's at less than 2/3's the cost). But now with the unresolved M6 BOG issue the performance is now lost.

I also was going to attempt to keep the 1LE factor and attempt a run in NHRA Stock Class.

But after seeing the vast diffreence in factory performance between the M6 and the A10 where the 1/4mi times are separated by almost 2 Seconds have me thinking twice, (as GM has now refused to correct the Bog issue and recent QC with aluminum corrosion is totally acceptable in a $70K+ Hi-Po Car.

So now my Dreams of having a TRUE Unrestricted GM Hi-PO ZL1 Manual is gone.
The ZL1 bogging isn’t cool but... The 69 ZL1 was a drag car and the street versions of the Superbird and Daytona sucked at everything. ...and NHRA ZL1 1LE? That’s a misapplication of a precision instrument.

If you want to use the car for NHRA, could you tune out the torque management? Your warranty is gone anyway?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The ZL1 bogging isn’t cool but... The 69 ZL1 was a drag car and the street versions of the Superbird and Daytona sucked at everything. ...and NHRA ZL1 1LE? That’s a misapplication of a precision instrument.

If you want to use the car for NHRA, could you tune out the torque management? Your warranty is gone anyway?
Nope Torque management on the M6 is not the issue. Been there, done that. I think whatever GM did here is to protect the M6 drive train and they do not want to comment on it. Edit: I take this back, thanks Ask AL. Although at least one tuner has claimed to have addressed the issue. But is it really in the tune?

I will say my full bolt-on M6 SS is a 1/4 mile veteran and the drive train is holding up great. Do I really want to flatbed home my Chevy for a couple of tenths? Been there done that.

And what is wrong with wanting your $70K chevy to run low 11s? But of course setting up a car for the road track does not make a good 1/4 mile car. 1LE SSes are slower in the 1/4 than every day SSes. Been there done that too.

Last edited by Fraxum; 02-20-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I see more of a statement than an Ask Al question here and may move this to the ZL1 section.

However, I do get your point. I bought the ZL1 for both road track and drag strip. With the difference in times between transmissions it's now one or the other. Either get the A10 for drags or the ZLE for road track. I guess the best case for both is the A10 on the road track, but then you cant go all out with adjustable dampers, wider tires and aero.

Still looking for the best of both worlds.... (an A10, LT4 or LT5, 1LE)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Still looking for the best of both worlds.... (an A10, LT4 or LT5, 1LE)
+1

Agreed, if only the M6 could "Hard Launch" vs "Soft Launch/Bog."

I'd be willing to purchase a GM Performance Tune and/or waive the factory drivetrain warranty to have the M6 Bog fixed. It would only need the "Axle Half Shafts" upgraded.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Nope Torque management on the M6 is not the issue. Been there, done that

And what is wrong with wanting your $70K chevy to run low 11s?
I've also been there.

I'm just disappointed with the incredible 1/4mi time separation between the M6 and A10, where traditionally a Manual Car should be at least 3/10ths FASTER, not >1 sec SLOWER
Old 02-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I've also been there.

I'm just disappointed with the incredible 1/4mi time separation between the M6 and A10, where traditionally a Manual Car should be at least 3/10ths FASTER, not >1 sec SLOWER
About the only way that'll happen today is if they dial the clock back and deliberately make automatics worse.

Machines can shift gears faster than humans. More gear ratios keep engines in the powerband better. So why should anyone expect a manual to be faster than a modern 10 speed automatic today?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Machines can shift gears faster than humans. So why should anyone expect a manual to be faster than a modern 10 speed automatic today?
I agree. I think the C7 Z06 is an excellant example of your point.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
PinHead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

Machines can shift gears faster than humans. More gear ratios keep engines in the powerband better. So why should anyone expect a manual to be faster than a modern 10 speed automatic today?
No doubt, but the approx 15% Drivetrain HP loss is what I'm referring to, and trying to avoid with an A/T.

I'm not the greatest gear manipulator, but I've seen guys with a Close Ration Manual shift almost as fast as an A/T, (and if you've ever seen a Lenco shift you'd agree with me, but that's not apples to apples).
Old 02-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Quote:
I'm not the greatest gear manipulator. (and if you've ever seen a Lenco shift you'd agree .
I know exactly what a Lenco is. I've crewed for a friend that had one. Comparing that, even in jest, id just plain stupid. Why not also complain that John Force's car has more HP than someting you can get from Chevy
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote