The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray vs...

Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Is the 2014 Corvette Stingray Killing the Viper's Sales?

Quote:
Could it be that the new Corvette Stingray is already putting a major hurt on one of its competitors on the salesroom floor?

While customers may have to wait up to six months for the honor of putting the 2014 Corvette in their garage[COLOR=#00aef0 !important][COLOR=#00aef0 !important][/COLOR][/COLOR], they could head to their favorite SRT dealer right now and pick up a brand new Viper. In fact, some 565 of them are currently available across the nation.

SRT originally had planned to sell 2,000 of the new generation Viper, but sales have been so slow that production has just been cut by a third, and still there remains a 289-day supply (565 unsold cars) at dealers in the United States.

Meanwhile, Chevrolet’s assembly plant[COLOR=#00aef0 !important][COLOR=#00AEF0 ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR] in Bowling Green, Ky., has already built 2,700 Stingrays, and the public is clamoring for more, many more.

A combination of factors could be causing the problem for the Viper. For instance, we found an ad on the Internet for a 2014 Viper GTS that lists for $136,080. To find out the actual sales price, which we hope is much lower, we would have had to give our name and phone number, and we didn’t really care enough to do that.

Not when the much more favorably reviewed Stingray starts out listing for just $51,995 and even loaded out just goes into the low to mid 70k range.

As Edmunds.com reported in a test between the 2014 Stingray and a 2013 Viper just a few weeks ago: “Because of its much lower price, manners that are easy to live with in daily use and still astonishing performance, the Corvette takes a narrow win here. It is the one car you can drive comfortably every day and still use to dominate a track day. Built around an impregnable structure, overstuffed with technology that actually improves the driving experience, and so easygoing you can commute in it with one finger on the wheel, it’s this year’s great leap forward for the entire breed of sports [COLOR=#00aef0 !important][COLOR=#00AEF0 ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]cars.”

In the last eight months, only 426 Vipers have been sold in the U.S. Automotive News reports that SRT CEO Ralph Gilles is still bullish on the Viper and believes that sales will pick up next spring[COLOR=#00aef0 !important][COLOR=#00aef0 !important][/COLOR][/COLOR]. That remains to be seen with the Stingray showing such vibrant sales right now, with no end in sight.
From CorvetteBlogger
Old 10-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Buildbright

Drives: BMW, Mercedes
I hope they do crazy lease deals because of the low sales volume like they did with the previous generation. I have a friend that got a Viper for $600 a month. It was such a terrifying fun car for such little money.
Buildbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

I love the Viper. If I ever got the money, I'd buy it.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
LeMans
Got that Motown sound!

Drives: 2011 Audi S4
It may be. The Viper's are really expensive, but have terrible build quality, and aren't terribly comfortable, and are manual only. It's been said how scary the cars are to drive, and it's getting cold everywhere. So the car is definitely out of season. Maybe sales will pick up in the spring.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Went to Cars and Coffee Carlsbad this morning, saw a black V-10 Viper. He was the life of the party...well at least until I showed up!!! He did have some grumblings with the car, quality wise...I have none!
Old 10-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
they've never sold much more than about a 1,000 a year right?
the fact that it looks pretty much like the first generation Viper, plus Corvette is all new, with a much better interior and gas mileage, it really can't help the Viper.
the Viper was a rare thing when it first came out. Brute power. But now sports cars have brute power AND they can be daily drivers.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
the fact that it looks pretty much like the first generation Viper, plus Corvette is all new, with a much better interior and gas mileage, it really can't help the Viper.
the Viper was a rare thing when it first came out. Brute power. But now sports cars have brute power AND they can be daily drivers.
The Viper is all new though as well, the entire interior was outfitted. Unfortunately the market isn't going for a 100K Viper and production is already getting cut. The dealers aren't helping at all from what I hear.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

yes it's all new, but basically looks like an old one.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Quote:
I don't think the 1st gen and the 5th gen look too much alike..

Old 10-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

5thgen? i'm only counting 3 generations of Viper.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
5thgen? i'm only counting 3 generations of Viper.
There's been 5. The first two were similar to the concept and had quite a bit of curves and flow to it, similar to the 5th gen. The 3rd and 4th gen took a different route that was much more brute force looking in my opinion.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #12
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

well I suppose if you count the original convertible or targa separate from the Coupe that came out in 1996
pretty much look the same to me though
Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

They're still defined as 5 generations by Dodge.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMans View Post
It may be. The Viper's are really expensive, but have terrible build quality, and aren't terribly comfortable, and are manual only. It's been said how scary the cars are to drive, and it's getting cold everywhere. So the car is definitely out of season. Maybe sales will pick up in the spring.
Viper like a gentle kitten to drive
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote