Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
4WDlifeform

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS
White Letters and Powder Coat

Well, after having the car up on blocks for 2 weeks, I finally got it all done! I love the look of the big bold white letters! Having a white Camaro with the black stripes, I wanted black wheels, so had them powder coated gloss black. I got to say I love it! Cant wait for the snow to melt, and take it for a run!! Also black lug nuts (found on eBay) and painted center caps.

Read on after the pics if you'd like to know about the letters. I had a lot of questions going into this, couldn't find much out there, so I thought I'd comment on the details.

About the letters. I bought the kit from Treadwear.com. They were better priced than tirestickers.com for what I wanted. From what I can tell, they are equals. The kit was about 120 shipped, and came with everything you need, even sand paper. Cleaning the tire was critical. It took 3 good scrubs using a brush and "greased lightning" degreaser. Wiped dry with a towel between scrubs. Then sanded (only to scuff the rubber) and cleaned a final time with 75% isopropal alcohol. The glue sets up pretty quick, and despite the small bottle, there is plenty in there. My biggest concern going into this was if the glue/letters would form around the sidewall markings that exist. It did pretty well. Some letters I had to hold down with the palm of my hand a few seconds before they took.

Another concern I had was if it would look cheesy having the letters glued on over the existing markings. Right away, your eyes don't see it. The contrast of the white against the black takes all your attention. The letters protrude from the side wall like any other white lettered tire, they "look" quite real. Certainly anyone staring at them will find they are indeed a fake.

I had the wheels off and worked on these facing up on saw horses. I took my time lining up centers. Having the tire facing up made it easy to work. I saw in a "how to" video on YouTube a suggestion to work on the top of the tire, then pull the vehicle forward a half rotation, and continue working. I can see that helpful if you don't want to pull your wheels.

I had a hard time deciding what words to put on the tire. I don't have a good brand tire (from previous owner) and I felt "Chevrolet" or "Camaro" or some other brand tire name would be too tacky. Went with "Super Sport" as it is sorta generic in a way (as in a tire could actually say this) and it ties in with the car. That is very opinionated though!

Initially I am very pleased. I hope they hold up! Time will tell! If any letters fall off, I'll post up. Cheers everyone!
4WDlifeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 AM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Looks good!!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Rrm20151le

Drives: 2015 Red Rock 1LE

Looks really good.
Rrm20151le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
4WDlifeform

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrm20151le View Post

Looks really good.
Yours too! I saw your post on an earlier thread from a few months back.

How are they holding up??
4WDlifeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
beak81champ
ILSQ

Drives: '13 2SS/RS
Nice job! That looks awesome!
Old 01-24-2018, 04:01 AM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Really well done! Looks good.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
Looks great....

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Rrm20151le

Drives: 2015 Red Rock 1LE
No problems at all with them. Glad I did it.
Rrm20151le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #9
2nd SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM
I'm on my 2nd set of tires with the Tread Wear letters on them. On the 1st set of tires, I had the letters on them for 22,000 miles. Keep your glue, because the edge of the letters will tend to lift up from time to time and a dab of glue on a toothpick will easily fix them. Also they will stain. They don't stain as bad if you don't get tire dressing on them. Tread Wear recomended a light wet sand with a fine sandpaper to remove any staining. Obviously, I liked them well enough to put a 2nd set on, so for me, the extra effort is worth it.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS L99 Blk with IOM pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd SS View Post
I'm on my 2nd set of tires with the Tread Wear letters on them. On the 1st set of tires, I had the letters on them for 22,000 miles. Keep your glue, because the edge of the letters will tend to lift up from time to time and a dab of glue on a toothpick will easily fix them. Also they will stain. They don't stain as bad if you don't get tire dressing on them. Tread Wear recomended a light wet sand with a fine sandpaper to remove any staining. Obviously, I liked them well enough to put a 2nd set on, so for me, the extra effort is worth it.
Love the paint! Can we see a shot of the car fron the front?
InfernoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc

Drives: camaro
awesome job on the lettering!! the first one is always the bad one then bam your suddenly a pro with the other 3 installs.
Carlos_MRRWheelsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
2nd SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoB View Post
Love the paint! Can we see a shot of the car fron the front?
Here ya go . Sorry I
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS L99 Blk with IOM pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd SS View Post
Here ya go . Sorry I
Most Original Paint I've seen yet... Also among the BEST! That Eagle looks like he ready to swoop down and grab his Prey! (Hopefully a Mustang)...
InfernoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
2nd SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoB View Post
Most Original Paint I've seen yet... Also among the BEST! That Eagle looks like he ready to swoop down and grab his Prey! (Hopefully a Mustang)...
Thanks ! Actually not painted on the car. Just an airbrushed bra and airbrushed GTS smoked lens headlight covers.