The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm888 View Post
After reading mostly that it's only a slightly harsher ride in Z51 with mag, I find a review that scares me lol.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...rst-drive.html

Also, I think the front aero is visually diff on Z51.

Anybody out there with a Z06 that's also driven base vettes? Imagine that would be a similar diff in ride stiffness as the issue being discussed?
thx!
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
From the reports I have read and looking at the owners manual, here is my take.

Non-Z51 will ride with what they consider tour mode.
Z51 will have a tight and stiffer than normal ride.
Z51 w/MSRC will ride is if in tour w/Gen 3 MSRC handling ruff roads, put it in Sport and the ride changes to handle twisty roads, put it in track and it will exceed the Z51 handling on the track.

The Z51 package is a steal for the price you pay but if you don't track the car MSRC is a must and also a steal considering it's cost and who licenses it from GM, Finally not that resale is a consideration, but those two items will command the most on resale and buyers buying second hand Corvettes usually want the sport options.

Also the aero on the Z51 is only spoiler in the rear and vents on side rear fenders for the coolers, no front splitter.
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
Glen e

Thanks - Ive also poured over the reviews so far and will be anxiously awaiting "real world" owners experiences here in a few months. I'm leaning on not doing the Z51 as even tho it's a steal, it's 2800 for stuff I don't need. I will probably do 19/20 wheels myself later down the road. I think TSW machine face Nurbugring's will look great on this car.

The mag shocks are neat but I don't see ever using them for getting groceries, and it seems I would use it only to "tame " the rough ride of the Z51. I can do that by eliminating z51.

This will allow me to go up a level to 3LT and get diff surface trims on the interior. Also I'll add the carbon flash spoiler on a CGM car for a great look.

But as I said, that could change when we all get Z51 experience running around town as a DD.

I'm going to lease so no resale worry needed....

Last edited by Glen e; 09-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
zimm888

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
I had heavy 22"s on my 06 Charger R/T so I can see your concern on ride quality for sure. But damn did they look awesome with a big fat deep lip :P
zimm888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
illiceman

Drives: 2012 ZL 1
At my age 70.8 I will use mine just for driving.I did order the 51.Keep in mind as a factory package it will add value to your car.If making payments it lets you spread additional costs out over a period of time.
Adding anything to a vette is only a cost and will not add anything of value to your car.I would imagine a set of good wheels would cost close to ordering the 51 on the car.
Ofcourse it is you car and you money.Cheers and enjoy.
illiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
Glen e

Correct about wheels, they would be expensive, but I really don't care about money/value. I'm concerned about my back and the article above...time will tell, that we have plenty of...

And it will have to be BAD for me not to order it...I have 22's now, and the ride is very acceptable.

Enuf outta me, I'll sit back and read....
Old 09-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
RichmondC7

Drives: C5
I too am retired. Had Vetts in the past and will order a C7 soon. My research says no to the Z51 for me and the wife. We love to take cross country vacations and the verdict is that the road ride of the std C7 is vastly better than the Z51. I also believe you can order the std C7 with the Z51 rear spoiler which, if true, is a big plus.
RichmondC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
bnall40

Drives: Z51 3LT, 2009 Pilot, 2012 Ody Tours
My research agrees with Richmond7. The Z51 puts you squarely in the racing arena if that's what you want with a lot of racing goodies. The Z51 also has a much stiffer suspension if you intend to do long distance driving. I ordered it before discovering above .... I think it's cool ... wife's gonna hate it! Good resale feature though..
bnall40 is offline   Reply With Quote