Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #29
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
Ok, I thought DA stood for dual action which meant that the device had both forced rotary and random orbital movement, such as the FLEX.
And that a Porter Cable was a pure random orbital polisher with no forced rotation, therefore, not dual action.

Am I wrong here?
Dual action means that the head of the polisher moves in both a large circle and lots of mini circles. Think the earth around the sun. It moves around the sun in its orbit but also rotates on its axis. Similar concept.

Forced rotation means the head of the polisher wool never show down no matter the amount of pressure you put on it.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #30
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
[QUOTE=Thebabycheech2012;7349327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Holy crap. Please give me the name of the shop so I can be sure nobody I know EVER goes there.

That is some of the worst information I've ever heard.

Professional...yeah.

Sent from my HTC

You know what your right let me sit here and listen to a guy who sitting behind a computer or cell phone dreaming about details cars that are 250k or more super cars when we have 5.3 million in cars in our lot stopping traffic so people can look at them... do me a favor we are all giving advice. I say keep your rude comments and remarks to yourself... Thank you...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I don't sit behind a computer. I post pics of my work here all the time.

Do you?

I don't think there's anyone here that wouldn't vouch for my work.

Everything you said was wrong. Just deal with it. Go back to wetsanding swirls.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #31
Thebabycheech2012

Drives: 2010 ss2 l99
[QUOTE=CamaroDreams07;7350007]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebabycheech2012 View Post

I don't sit behind a computer. I post pics of my work here all the time.

Do you?

I don't think there's anyone here that wouldn't vouch for my work.

Everything you said was wrong. Just deal with it. Go back to wetsanding swirls.

No I got a life I don't need to sit on a free forums page, tring to grab business not how you make it in life bud. I be the better man and end it here you go your way of detailing I'll go my way... and learn a little respect when talking to people you don't know everything their is your still learning everyday as so am I'm...

Last edited by Thebabycheech2012; 01-19-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Thebabycheech2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #32
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
[QUOTE=Thebabycheech2012;7350030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

No I got a life I don't need to sit on a free forums page, tring to grab business not how you make it in life bud. I be the better man and end it here you go your way of detailing I'll go my way... and learn a little respect when talking to people you don't know everything their is your still learning everyday as so am I'm...

True. Im still learning. I'm just a lot further along. As are most of us on this free forum, clearly.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #33
Thebabycheech2012

Drives: 2010 ss2 l99
[QUOTE=CamaroDreams07;7350214]
Quote:

True. Im still learning. I'm just a lot further along. As are most of us on this free forum, clearly.

Just like people are a little more mature then other people it happens

Thebabycheech2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #34
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
No its not our only philosophy. .. relax first of all we don't know how bad the first post is with the swirls as far as we know it could be in his paint... I'll admit I'm wrong we say it as a business way to tell them we will aren't going to put a wheel on the paint if the starches are too deep but here's some of the wrong work we put out.... I think you can't beat those shine
You're right, the OP didn't say how deep his swirls are but you still don't assume it needs to be wet sanded from the beginning. The vast majority of swirls can EASILY be taken out with a DA and a good polish. Not covered, filled, and hidden, but REMOVED. There are some that need wet sanding but that should be a last resort. As most professional detailers will tell you, you do the LEAST aggressive approach to correct the paint. If that doesn't work, you go more aggressive. Starting with wet sanding on 90% of swirls is just washing precious clear coat down the drain.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #35
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
You're right, the OP didn't say how deep his swirls are but you still don't assume it needs to be wet sanded from the beginning. The vast majority of swirls can EASILY be taken out with a DA and a good polish. Not covered, filled, and hidden, but REMOVED. There are some that need wet sanding but that should be a last resort. As most professional detailers will tell you, you do the LEAST aggressive approach to correct the paint. If that doesn't work, you go more aggressive. Starting with wet sanding on 90% of swirls is just washing precious clear coat down the drain.
Technically, they wouldn't be Swirls at that point but "RIDS" Random Isolated Deep-er Scratches.
Not nit picking on you, but just so others that read this in the future understand there is a difference.
I for one, have never had to wet sand Swirls to remove them, EVER.
And when it comes to removing RIDS I spot sand them, not the entire panel.
Detailing is truly an art if it is done right. I know there is more than one way to get good results but there is truly a correct way of doing it and getting perfect results with the least amount of clear being removed thus protecting your car and allowing for future paint correction.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #36
SSTG

Here is a very bad case of buffer trails from a previous Autobody shops work. It also has a serious case of swirled Paint.

I only used a Rotary Buffer and M105 on a wool pad and my Flex and M205 with a foam pad to remove both.

Same rear quarter panel in full sun.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #37
SSTG

Another car, corrected with polishing only.

Trunk panel Before:

After:

Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #38
Casper954

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
Another car, corrected with polishing only.

Trunk panel Before:

After:

what kind of polish were you using and equipment?

Appearance: Blacked out tail lights, Oracle Plasma fogs, SLP Carbon Fiber splitter, Carbon Fiber Hash Marks, Carbon Fiber ZL1 hood, 20" Giovanna Kilis rims, Eibach lowering springs

Performance: Straight-piped magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake
Casper954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #39
SSTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper954 View Post
what kind of polish were you using and equipment?
Meg's M105 with Makita rotary and wool cutting pad.
Finished with Meg's 205 and Flex DA and foam finishing pad.
That car was Detailed many years ago. I rarely ever use Wool pads any more as technology has came so far.
I just wanted to show that wet sanding should be your last approach.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #40
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I'm just going to chime in with polishing the black paint on these cars is not very beginner friendly. I tried and failed even though I thought I did everything right. I suggest you hook up with someone who knows what they are doing to show you the ropes before attempting it yourself. Good luck.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #41
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
after reading this thread I have to say, CamaroDream07>babyscreetch2012. not even a second thought. anyone that puts wet sanding on the same level with general polishing ain't touching my car!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #42
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
No its not our only philosophy. .. relax first of all we don't know how bad the first post is with the swirls as far as we know it could be in his paint... I'll admit I'm wrong we say it as a business way to tell them we will aren't going to put a wheel on the paint if the starches are too deep but here's some of the wrong work we put out.... I think you can't beat those shine Attachment 592174Attachment 592175Attachment 592176Attachment 592177Attachment 592178

Does she has any swirls?
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote