The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
brian1960

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51 Artic White convertable
Bad Experience 2015 C7 500 mile oil change

Took my Z51 C7 convertible into the local Chevy dealer for the 500 mile oil change last week. (not the dealer it was purchased from) I watched them out of the corner of my eye. They kept going to the internet seeing how to fill the system. Not good. Heard the tech say it only took 3 quarts. So they pulled the plastic covering off the passenger side of engine, then the driver side. They found an access point for oil through the valve cover. Put in the remainder of the oil there. They pulled my car around to the other side of the building where they handed me the keys. Oil all over the lot. I questioned them and they assured me it wasn't from my car. Pulled out of the dealership, car wouldn't go above 20 mph. Kept bogging down. Cloud of white smoke behind me. Parked my car about 400 yards from dealership. Oil all over the place. The oil tech came running down the highway followed by the service manager and head mechanic. In ending, they only pulled one drain plug but then filled with full amount of oil. Puked all over the place. They also used Dextos which wasn't correct. My car was Artic White until this. The dealership owner after discussing this with him told me he saw the whole thing go down, continued to tell me how this screw-up cost him money. He was worried about his few extra quarts of oil (now Mobil One) instead of my 80K+ C7. I called GM Customer Service and told them of what happened. I received a case number. I am worried about the long term affect of too much oil in the system. GM told me that's what warranties are for, 3yr. 36000 miles. No satisfaction as to what could happen after that warranty is up in respect to this screw-up. I hope no one has to encounter what I had to. Regards, Brian
brian1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
That's awful. Take it to a trusted place (maybe dealership where you purchased it) and tell them what happened. Have it towed if it is still leaking or smoking. Too much oil can ruin seals.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Joe Stingray
Master of All Things

Drives: 2019 Stingray 2LT
If it were my car.......that dealership better be putting the car up on a rack and getting every drop of oil off of the car.....inside and out.
Joe Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
BigEastVette

Drives: 2017 Z06 3LZ BLACK ROSE, FORD F250
That's why you have to ask if the dealership has a certified trained Corvette Technician. Just because its a Chevy dealership does not mean that they are equipped to fully service a corvette. When I bring mine into the dealership where I bought it, there is only one guy that touches it, nobody else but the corvette technician. I have even called for an appointment to bring it in, and they will tell me, the corvette technician is off that day and suggest alternate dates to bring it in, only when he is working.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
brian1960

Good advice. I wish I had it before taking my vette to an authorized Chevrolet service center, but not a specific corvette knowledge based Chevrolet dealership. You would think for an oil change they could handle it. I was scheduled a week in advance, maybe a little prep work prior to my car showing up to the dealership would have been prudent.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1960 View Post
Good advice. I wish I had it before taking my vette to an authorized Chevrolet service center, but not a specific corvette knowledge based Chevrolet dealership. You would think for an oil change they could handle it. I was scheduled a week in advance, maybe a little prep work prior to my car showing up to the dealership would have been prudent.
Yeah, there is no excuse on the dealerships part. Complaining about the cost of oil to you just added insult to injury.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
For a Chevy dealership to be able to sell Corvettes, the dealership is supposed to send their mechanics to a special school to become 'Corvette Certified' along with purchasing special equipment. Not all of the smaller dealerships were able to do this.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
S'vette

Drives: 2015 2LT Z51 Black C7
Have the car checked out by the dealer you bought it from and then see if another complaint needs to be filed. But I would have a full check over now as 3 yr 36000 mile can come quick. Don't let off on the ones that messed it up. Get your car right and maybe a longer warranty for free.
S'vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
This is why I change my own oil...I don't care about the "free" oil changes.....these cars are to valuable to let some rookie mechanic screw it up.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #10
C7Driver

Drives: 2014 Z51 Lime Rock Green
Sorry you had a bad experience at the dealer. It's a real shame they allowed someone with no real training to work on your Corvette. The service manager is also to blame for letting an untrained worker do an oil change on a Z51 equipped engine. There are many horror stories about screwed up oil changes on the Z51. I know two people that had their engines overfilled.
I do all my own oil changes even though GM gives you four "free" oil changes in two years. I have access to a car lift and I'm happy to spend the money for the oil and filter and know the job was done correctly.
With dealers it's all about the money. They put people on the oil change line with little or no training and rush them so they get as many cars in and out as possible. You're lucky if they put down the paper mats down to protect your carpets. I won't let a dealer touch my car unless a warranty issue forces me to.
C7Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Count yourself slightly fortunate - a former club member had his then-new 2010 Grand Sport serviced at a dealership that put all 10 quarts into his engine instead of the dry sump tank. The motor immediately blew up when they tried to start it. The dealership had to eat the cost of a replacement motor!

Absolutely keep at the dealership that screwed up your oil change for satisfaction, and have a more skilled one inspect the car. You want to find any associated problems sooner as opposed to later.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
brian1960

I watched this fiasco from about 18 feet away. I was at the service desk, they didn't want me to wonder where the oil change was taking place. (safety) I saw them take out the drivers side oil plug and drain. I then heard the tech tell the service manager that the oil reservoir would only take 3 quarts of new oil. They looked on the web and the service dept. head told the tech to remove the passenger side covering from the engine to access an oil cap. There was no cap on the right side so they removed covering from the drivers side where a cap was then found. I saw them put the rest of the 10qts in the drivers side valve cover. (remember only one plug was removed and oil drained) The head of service told me that there was 18 quarts total in my car when started? I am thinking more like 14-15 but still way to much. I have pictures of oil everywhere. Even 300 yards down the highway before I shut it down. I now have 1200 miles on the car and it appears to be fine. No apology letter from Manistee Chevrolet yet and GM's only response was that I have a 5 yr-100000 mile powertrain warranty. I've learned a lot from a lesson I didn't ask for.

Regards,
Brian
Old 08-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #13
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
18 quarts?! 14-15?! Assuming you have a Z51, if I remember correctly GM came out with a service message saying the C7 Z51 should take about 9.5 quarts.

If the dealership really did put that much oil in the car it wouldn't surprise me if some of it got sucked into the air intake system. Consider yourself lucky that oil didn't make it down into the cylinders. Oil doesn't compress... so hydro static lock can occur and serious engine damage.

I suggest contacting the dealer you bought the car from, have it towed there, and have them remove the intake to check for oil deposits or possible other damage.

It's a pain, but I drive 3 hours back to the dealer where I bought my C7 from (Hendrick in Cary NC) mainly because they sell a lot of Vette's and know what they're doing.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
dlittle238

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51 Crystal Red Tintcoat
Have another dealer with authorized Corvette technicians assess the damage, write it up then name GM and the first dealer in a law suite. They will make everything right. It is negligent on their part to have anyone other than a certified Corvette technician work on your car. The key is you must have some sort of damage to make a claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1960 View Post
Took my Z51 C7 convertible into the local Chevy dealer for the 500 mile oil change last week. (not the dealer it was purchased from) I watched them out of the corner of my eye. They kept going to the internet seeing how to fill the system. Not good. Heard the tech say it only took 3 quarts. So they pulled the plastic covering off the passenger side of engine, then the driver side. They found an access point for oil through the valve cover. Put in the remainder of the oil there. They pulled my car around to the other side of the building where they handed me the keys. Oil all over the lot. I questioned them and they assured me it wasn't from my car. Pulled out of the dealership, car wouldn't go above 20 mph. Kept bogging down. Cloud of white smoke behind me. Parked my car about 400 yards from dealership. Oil all over the place. The oil tech came running down the highway followed by the service manager and head mechanic. In ending, they only pulled one drain plug but then filled with full amount of oil. Puked all over the place. They also used Dextos which wasn't correct. My car was Artic White until this. The dealership owner after discussing this with him told me he saw the whole thing go down, continued to tell me how this screw-up cost him money. He was worried about his few extra quarts of oil (now Mobil One) instead of my 80K+ C7. I called GM Customer Service and told them of what happened. I received a case number. I am worried about the long term affect of too much oil in the system. GM told me that's what warranties are for, 3yr. 36000 miles. No satisfaction as to what could happen after that warranty is up in respect to this screw-up. I hope no one has to encounter what I had to. Regards, Brian
dlittle238 is offline   Reply With Quote