Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Camber adjusting plates

Well I finally had the chance to take my ZL1 1LE out to a track this weekend. I also adjusted the camber to the track setting while at the track. Very easy to set an re-set back to normal while at the track. The car performed really well. It is a lot faster than my normal ZL1 was at that same track. I will try to post some video later.

My problem is the nut on top of the blue anodized camber plate where you place the socket to turn the camber plate to the track setting now has scuff marks on it. Does anyone know what anodized color of blue GM used to paint these plates. I need some to repair the scuffs. I know auto parts stores have a color of blue but I want the exact matching color GM used. I also need to figure out what kind of socket I can use so it does not scuff the nut in the future. Maybe some kind of rubber lined socket or something. Anyone got any ideas on the anodized blue paint and the socket?
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Question. Did u get a alignment after turning the camber plates. Im doing rd atlanta in a couple weeks amd trying to decide if I should take it in for a track alignment.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
tnspd

No I did not do an alignment. I turned it to track camber setting at the track and then back again to the normal setting for the drive home. I did not see a reason for a track alignment. What exactly would the track alignment do?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Pwiegand

Drives: 2018 ZL1 in sweet hyper blue
I get wanting to keep things looking pristine. But, you've got scuff marks on a part that is "track use only." That is a right of passage, dude. I say flaunt it and keep the scuffs!
Pwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Question. Did u get a alignment after turning the camber plates. Im doing rd atlanta in a couple weeks amd trying to decide if I should take it in for a track alignment.
Definitely get an alignment and get your alignment while the plates are in the track setting. Otherwise your toe on track will be all screwed up.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
No I did not do an alignment. I turned it to track camber setting at the track and then back again to the normal setting for the drive home. I did not see a reason for a track alignment. What exactly would the track alignment do?
Dude, get an alignment before your next track days. Our cars are notorious for having a terrible alignment from the factory.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Definitely get an alignment and get your alignment while the plates are in the track setting. Otherwise your toe on track will be all screwed up.
Yea will be curious to see the difference's between stock alignment and simply just turning the plates. I will get print outs and post back. I think GM should of done a better job explaining that just turning the plates does not complete the track alignment.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
tnspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Yea will be curious to see the difference's between stock alignment and simply just turning the plates. I will get print outs and post back. I think GM should of done a better job explaining that just turning the plates does not complete the track alignment.
Yes I would like to see just how much the toe is off by just turning the plates to track camber. Maybe I missed it but I do not remember seeing anything about doing an alignment to adjust the toe when you set the camber to track. I do remember hearing GM say you can adjust the camber to track at the track and then back to normal for the drive home.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Yes I would like to see just how much the toe is off by just turning the plates to track camber. Maybe I missed it but I do not remember seeing anything about doing an alignment to adjust the toe when you set the camber to track. I do remember hearing GM say you can adjust the camber to track at the track and then back to normal for the drive home.
While it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, I have the MMS camber plates on my car and going from -3° total camber to -1.5° total camber adjusting just the camber plate my toe went from zero to 3/16” in. That was adjusting only the camber plate so the knuckle camber stayed the same (-1.5°) on both measurements. That’s still streetable amounts of toe. Hopefully that will give you at least a little info about how much camber adjustments on our car affects toe.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
If I remember correctly (I'm old so that's fading), when a friend and I turned the struts to "track", we measured the total toe at about 1/8th out.

I was told that for auto-x toe out is good, but for high speed tracking a little toe in is best. This sound right?

On a similar note, before I picked up the car from the dealer I asked them to do an alignment. Whether or not they actually did, only they know. But when I let go the wheel, the car goes straight. Even after shifting the struts to "track" the car still drove straight. On my other car there would be just the slightest pull one way or the other, but this car is arrow straight.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
ZL1 1LmE

Drives: ZL1.
Quote:
Well I finally had the chance to take my ZL1 1LE out to a track this weekend. I also adjusted the camber to the track setting while at the track. Very easy to set an re-set back to normal while at the track. The car performed really well. It is a lot faster than my normal ZL1 was at that same track. I will try to post some video later.

My problem is the nut on top of the blue anodized camber plate where you place the socket to turn the camber plate to the track setting now has scuff marks on it. Does anyone know what anodized color of blue GM used to paint these plates. I need some to repair the scuffs. I know auto parts stores have a color of blue but I want the exact matching color GM used. I also need to figure out what kind of socket I can use so it does not scuff the nut in the future. Maybe some kind of rubber lined socket or something. Anyone got any ideas on the anodized blue paint and the socket?

I would get the toe and caster, camber checked / adjusted AT the height you want to track the car at. Then go back to the standard setting for street use.

Also if you go to a decent place they can do the adjustments weighted and even better is corner balanced.

Looking forward to seeing video.

2013 Gen 5 Viper GTS
https://youtu.be/CI9IJNYG07c

2013 Scion FRS
https://youtu.be/TpmKp3pTLcw

Chevy Colorado Trailhawk

04 SVT Cobra (sold)
ZL1 1LmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
bensf

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I got a track alignment after turning the camber plate myself.
Attached Images

bensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #13
ZL1 1LmE

Drives: ZL1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensf View Post
I got a track alignment after turning the camber plate myself.
Great info...thanks

2013 Gen 5 Viper GTS
https://youtu.be/CI9IJNYG07c

2013 Scion FRS
https://youtu.be/TpmKp3pTLcw

Chevy Colorado Trailhawk

04 SVT Cobra (sold)
ZL1 1LmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I doubt you'll be able to get a match on an anodized part using paint. I've seen a friend use a blue marker to touch up the blue anodizing on braided line fittings. It would be worth a try and if it doesn't work, you can wipe it off with alcohol.
DangerZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote