The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
PGCorvette

Drives: White Z51 C7
Clicking noise

So I don't know if what I'm hearing is supposed to be normal or not. When I start to press the throttle I hear something like a clicking or ticking noise getting a bit louder. Sounds maybe like a pulley starting to spin faster or something if I had to guess what it was.

Does everybody hear this and is it normal? Also I have a little squeak sometimes in the steering wheel when turning right. I know that's not normal so I'll be taking it to the dealer for that.

Thanks for responses ahead of time guys.
PGCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
I haven't heard or noticed clicks/ticks from accelerating or squeaks from steering on mine... have you checked your tires yet maybe you ran over something? I noticed a weird clicking noise on my Camaro before when apparently I ran over some kind of sticky paper wrapping on the road and it was stuck on the tire which made noise ehen driving... but I agree that if it's noticeable for you and nothing visible is different then I'd have the dealer check it out.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
PGCorvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I haven't heard or noticed clicks/ticks from accelerating or squeaks from steering on mine... have you checked your tires yet maybe you ran over something? I noticed a weird clicking noise on my Camaro before when apparently I ran over some kind of sticky paper wrapping on the road and it was stuck on the tire which made noise ehen driving... but I agree that if it's noticeable for you and nothing visible is different then I'd have the dealer check it out.
I might have them check it out. It is a very low sound and I hear it more at low rpms. Like I said it really sounds like a pulley. I'm going to open up the hood and have someone rev it while I listen to the engine. It totally sounds like it's coming from right in the center of the engine when I'm driving.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi PG,

I am sorry that you are hearing this sound in your new C7. I would like to get a case set up for you in our system and help out. Please PM me with your VIN, mileage, address, name, phone number and the name of your dealership. We will get into contact with your dealership and add a layer of customer service.

Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Rayo

Drives: 14'Stingray/13'LandRover/12' Harley
Same thing here! I will post a video so we can compare, did you get it fixed already?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
bnall40

Drives: Z51 3LT, 2009 Pilot, 2012 Ody Tours
C7 hatch closure problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hi PG,

I am sorry that you are hearing this sound in your new C7. I would like to get a case set up for you in our system and help out. Please PM me with your VIN, mileage, address, name, phone number and the name of your dealership. We will get into contact with your dealership and add a layer of customer service.

Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Kelly
Since I came upon your offer to assist I thought that I would run this one by you:
I Can not close my coupe hatch without opening a door. (An auto vent is suppose to release pressure). Any suggestions ?
VIN 1G1YM2D78E5101252. Miles: 1069.
Thanks. Sam
bnall40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
bbrown450

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS
check your fuse???
bbrown450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
I had this clicking sound on my '12 Camaro. The cause was the main belt being slightly out of spec/alignment. A few weeks went by, and as soon as I had bought a new belt the clicking stopped and never returned. But, I wouldn't recommend you wait.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
PGCorvette

Sorry I haven't responded recently guys. So i got everything resolved, well kind of. The squeaking noise coming from my steering wheel was a loose coil in the airbag mechanism (dealers explanation was a bit fuzzy but it was a coil that had to do with the airbag).

As for the clicking noise I hear. It only makes the sound when accelerating slowly in V4 mode. The dealer tech told me that this is normal due to the extra vibration going on in V4 mode. He did say that he hasn't tested other corvettes and seen if they make the noise but it should be fine. I only every hear it in V4. I don't know if any of you have noticed this, if you have not please drive your car on the highway and watch it go into V4, ever slowly accelerate and see if it does it. It is a faint noise but you will hear it coming from the front. You can replicate it in city driving as well but you have to be cruising.

Let me know if you guys notice this.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #10
Rich K

Drives: Corvette Stingray 2014
Yes, I hear clicking noise too

I hear the same clicking noise and I find it super annoying, especially on a new corvette stingray. I must have brought it to the dealer 6 times. They had a regional GM tech confirm that he could hear it in V4 mode. They said if enough people complained then it might get the attention of GM for a recall update. Frankly I don't know how it could not be getting their attention already. (Note on one of the trips to the dealer, they replaced the belt tensioner system without any improvement). Really frustrating on an expensive car.
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
route66

Drives: 66 coupe 78 pace car 2014 coupe
Ticking?

I posted something a couple days ago about torque tube failure but have gotten no response to the post. I had or have almost a rattling sound at idle mainly. Dealer replaced the belt tensioner but sound is still there. Now the torque tube is going to be replaced but it is coming ground from Lansing Michigan. When I opened my hood and listened there was no noise you could only hear it from inside the car. On the forums I have read that C6 and C7 have some issues with torque tubes noises.
Absolutely love the car can't wait to get it back. Early build delivered in Sept..
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
BRCC
BRCC Webmaster

Drives: 2017 GS 3LT Sterling Blue/Gray Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
I posted something a couple days ago about torque tube failure but have gotten no response to the post. I had or have almost a rattling sound at idle mainly. Dealer replaced the belt tensioner but sound is still there. Now the torque tube is going to be replaced but it is coming ground from Lansing Michigan. When I opened my hood and listened there was no noise you could only hear it from inside the car. On the forums I have read that C6 and C7 have some issues with torque tubes noises.
Absolutely love the car can't wait to get it back. Early build delivered in Sept..
Check post 1 & 10 on this thread.

http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329185
BRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
Tribefan7

Drives: 2014 stingray
I have the same noise when car goes into V4 mode. I can also feel a jerk when this shift happens. I am taking to dealer on Tuesday! I will post what the outcome is.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
route66

Drives: 66 coupe 78 pace car 2014 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Got car back in 3 days torque tube replaced. Noise gone and also I notice that the 8 to 4 cylinder mode transitions are smoother than they ever have been. Dealer says that this is not a uncommon failure also on C6.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote