The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
NPP exhaust question

We've ordered a C7 and decided to go with the NPP exhaust. The dealer told us that the flaps open at 3200rpms to aid with sound/performance. What we don't understand is if 3200rpms is the only way for the flaps to open, regardless of WOT or not? It seems to me that at WOT below 3200rpms, the flaps should be open? But do they stay closed to matter what until 3200rpms? If anyone can clear this up for me, It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
BPhillyc7

Drives: C7 Z51 Mag Ride, ECC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
We've ordered a C7 and decided to go with the NPP exhaust. The dealer told us that the flaps open at 3200rpms to aid with sound/performance. What we don't understand is if 3200rpms is the only way for the flaps to open, regardless of WOT or not? It seems to me that at WOT below 3200rpms, the flaps should be open? But do they stay closed to matter what until 3200rpms? If anyone can clear this up for me, It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
After much research I got the NPP as well. I could be wrong, but if you want to override this all you have to do is pull the fuse, so it is always on OR get a Mild to Wild switch installed aftermarket which will do the same thing but give you the option of opening or closing at your discretion. Hope that helps.
BPhillyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Frankster80

Drives: 2010 Nissan Frontier
What about getting an aftermarket exhaust? Wouldn't that work just as well, and save some money?

I'm asking because I am debating on adding the NPP or not, and I've already went over my budget on options
Frankster80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Might work just as well, but not sure about cost unless one goes for something less than good. NPP with a wild to mild switch = best of all worlds. In my opinion.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Frankster80

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Might work just as well, but not sure about cost unless one goes for something less than good. NPP with a wild to mild switch = best of all worlds. In my opinion.

Laborsmith

Thanks, seeing as how I haven't moved from 3000 in a month, I'm pretty sure I can add this with no problem
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
When you get to 3000 you can ask to change your order and even if your dealer agrees your dealer has to make the request. 2500 and before changes are no problem, at 3000 possible but not always granted. 3100 and above, no, at least I have never heard of a change after getting to 3100.

The timing for the next pull is close: I am thinking July 9 at which point those at 3000 will likely be moved to 3100 the next day. All this to say, if you are serious about wanting the change you should plan on visiting your dealer tomorrow; I do believe Thursday will be too late.

But I do not work for Chevy, so what do I know!

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Frankster80

Oh wow!!! I was not expecting that, I will probably just keep it the way it is then. Its already hard enough waiting, I don't want to do anything to make that any longer.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post

Thanks!
From what I've heard from the Corvette team, especially the NCM Bash seminars, using the driver modes, you can choose sport, and it will leave the valves open. Can't say this 100% sure, but im about 95% sure.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
I have a ZL1 with what I'm guessing is similar dual mode exhaust. You can go the cheap way and pull the fuse and the exhaust stays open all the time. You can add an after market system that has a key fob that allows you to open or close the dual exhaust any time you want (mild to wild or exhaust commander). I have the key fob and just leave it open all the time. The exhaust on my ZL1 opens to dual mode after a certain rpm or at WOT no matter the RPM. I would suspect the C7 will work similar but not sure. My wife has a C7 on order and we will probably put an exhaust commander on her car as well.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Check out what the Driver Mode Selector Controls. Exhaust is in there.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Check out what the Driver Mode Selector Controls. Exhaust is in there.
Thanks for showing that, exactly what I was talking about.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
Agent WHite

Drives: 2014 Z51 3LT white, red int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
Thanks for showing that, exactly what I was talking about.

The chart still doesn't say that the valves are always open in Sport. It just says Sport. How are we supposed to decipher what that means in relation to valves being open or closed ALL the time?
Agent WHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
I have a ZL1 with what I'm guessing is similar dual mode exhaust. You can go the cheap way and pull the fuse and the exhaust stays open all the time. You can add an after market system that has a key fob that allows you to open or close the dual exhaust any time you want (mild to wild or exhaust commander). I have the key fob and just leave it open all the time. The exhaust on my ZL1 opens to dual mode after a certain rpm or at WOT no matter the RPM. I would suspect the C7 will work similar but not sure. My wife has a C7 on order and we will probably put an exhaust commander on her car as well.
You don't need to pull the fuse... you can leave it open all the time with the settings.

Under settings/ driving modes you have two settings for NPP exhaust:
1-auto - follow the driving modes- meaning loud in sport and track.
2-off- loud all the time.

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 AM   #14
REVVIC

Drives: 2014 Z51 Velocity Yellow
GB EB has it right. In settings the three exhaust sounds can be synched to tour, sport and track. Or "off" which opens all the valves all the time. You can see the back two valves in the two out board pipes. I run on off and love it.