Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-22-2024, 08:19 AM   #1
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
Roto Fab air filter replacement? when how?

hey what's up guys,

Searched the forums and i can't seem to find an answer for this but i recently installed a roto-fab air filter on the 2021 camaro zl1 1le. Now i've had it on there at least 1 summer, so far, and it looks pretty dirty. My question is, i've looked online and people say to just tap it against a wall and vaccuum it from the outside retighten it and turn 1/4 back when done... First question... Is this for real ? i can just vacuum this up? and good to go ? second question installation correct as i've stated? Third question, when does it actually need replacing ?

What about the catch can. How often should i drain that? every oil change? Open it up and dump? or just drain from bottom?

Installed a Ron Davis Heat exchanger... Does this need servicing?

Installed a Magnusson 2450 R .. Already found out, did that wrong, needed to get it burped, kept spitting out fluid through the reservoir cap. Realized real quick not to touch that cap unless the car is running.. But any maintenance on this? used clamps no silicone. had to redo the bolts and put blue locktight. As they started backing out. I'm just worried what else can go wrong... ffs.

Ar Headers with stage 8 locks. This better not back out! Stupid exhaust hits every speed bump now... But i love the sound.

Somehow melted the metallic brake pads, fused to rotor. Was advised there is a cooldown procedure for these... Some people are actually putting anti rust and anti seize on their disc brakes which scares me a little. I'm told Ceramic pads don't do this, but don't perform as well? Any advice ? What are you guys doing about sticky brakes?

Replaced the rims, put sport cup 2 or 3 i cant remember which one. Didnt like the look of the tire on my rim, wanted the r88r... Couldnt get em. Put Hoosiers circuit tires on the original Rims. But now i'm caught up in drag racing, so here we go with rims and tires again? What did u gys do ?

Can u gys think of anything else i should be aware of with this car?

Andrew
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:29 AM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
These filters are for continuous use... Clean and re-oil with something like this when it looks dirty.
https://www.roto-fab.com/air-filter-cleaning

Catch can empty at oil change or anytime you want.

Heat exchanger doesn't need anything

Install and expansion tank to easily get rid of air. Other wise keep toping it off at intervals when it's cool.

Brakes I'd just stick with OE and replace the ones you have. Never heard of melting them.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:17 AM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with Mike Lee!
Old 04-22-2024, 11:42 AM   #4
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Just to clarify....the mesh air filter would need to be cleaned and re-oiled. They DO offer a "DRY" filter. I assume paper? ...and they're disposable I believe. Wouldn't want to clean and oil THAT filter.

....and the catch can you should check every 500 miles until YOU are comfortable with a check/drain schedule that doesn't allow it to fill up. That would be very bad. My FIRST SS, I would drain with every oil change/5000 miles. Would be about a quarter full. I just installed one in my new SS that I just purchased. I'll check every 500 until my next oil change, and I'd expect to see about the same amount as before. If I do.....then I'll stop checking every 500 and simply drain with every oil change. ...I've never owned an LT4, but I can't imagine needing to drain more often than every oil change.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:47 AM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Is your filter wet (red) or dry (blue)? If red clean and re-oil as stated but if blue and that dirty might as well plan on dropping about $100 for a new one. Mine's dry and has been on the car since new but I only have 11k miles and aside from the first of couple of years only put about 800 miles per year on it. It still looks and performs like new so every year I say I'll give it another year. I just wonder if at some point the media breaks down? Oh well, guess I'll give it another year.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote